Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2008, 07:00 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was look at a rule of thirds screen actually for my K10D.
Good to know though that the screen is easily removed for cleaning/replacing.

I will keep in mind about the auto/manual switch ... and make sure i have all of my old lenses set on manual so it works that way.

Try to get a large zoom range lens with the same quality as primes for little $$$$$ is like search for hen's teeth.

Although ... about the only thing that may come close is either the Tamron 18-250 or the Pentax version of the same focal length ... not "that" cheap ... but it does produce decent images of a very wide range though.

05-25-2008, 01:09 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
received my copy two days ago, was trying it ouit in Kyoto at the market yesterday:

( more photos, other taken with the S.M.C. Tak 50mm f1.4 at my flickr page, 4 of them also just uploaded to the travel gallery here )

cheers,
Andreas

Last edited by kuuan; 05-25-2008 at 01:29 AM.
05-25-2008, 12:54 PM   #33
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seems to be a nice lens...
I'd say it was a good purchase,
enjoy
06-06-2008, 12:26 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I have this lens (the model with "Super-Multi-Coated" written out on the front ring), and lately it only comes off my camera to put the 50/1.4 on when I'm indoors. I really like the contrast, the bright colors, and the sharpness. All the 28mm shots in this thread were from this lens.

Regarding exposure, I find I get much better exposure using the green button vs. A-mode, but usually I just use this as a base-line and then fine tune exposure from there by referencing the screen/histogram (nice thing about shooting landscapes, barring clouds, lighting doesn't change that quickly).

06-06-2008, 05:54 PM   #35
Veteran Member

and the 35mm f3.5?

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
I have this lens (the model with "Super-Multi-Coated" written out on the front ring), and lately it only comes off my camera to put the 50/1.4 on when I'm indoors. I really like the contrast, the bright colors, and the sharpness. All the 28mm shots in this thread were from this lens.
Heliphoto I am very much with you here, and your photos proove your good choice. But then I am sure once you try a S.M.C. or Super Takumar 35mm f3.5. this small and light wonder would also take it's turns, 2 recent examples:

Regarding exposure, I find I get much better exposure using the green button vs. A-mode, but usually I just use this as a base-line and then fine tune exposure from there by referencing the screen/histogram (nice thing about shooting landscapes, barring clouds, lighting doesn't change that quickly).
interesting..
I do use A mode, the *istDS meters the M42 lenses correctly, no exposure bias dial in required.

cheers,
Andreas
06-06-2008, 10:49 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kuuan Quote
Heliphoto I am very much with you here, and your photos proove your good choice. But then I am sure once you try a S.M.C. or Super Takumar 35mm f3.5. this small and light wonder would also take it's turns, 2 recent examples:

interesting..
I do use A mode, the *istDS meters the M42 lenses correctly, no exposure bias dial in required.

cheers,
Andreas
Nice shots with the 35mm. I like the repeating balconies quite a bit. I do intend to get the 35 some day, but I'm excited to get home from traveling, as I have a Takumar 17mm f/4 FE waiting for me... I hope I like it as much as I think I'm going to.

I need to experiment with A-mode metering again, maybe I was just doing something weird that day...
06-06-2008, 10:59 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am looking forward to getting a 35mm.
I have a 105mm f/2.8 on the way and the 200mm f/4 as well now.
I'd love to get the 17mm FE ... if i can't get that ... I'd get the Zenitar 16mm FE as a last resort.

I am with Heliphoto when it comes to metering ... I find Manual and Gren button work a treat ... and I think it needs slight adjustment ... the front E-dial on the K10D works a treat to on-the-fly changes ... it's a lot easier than I first thought it'd be.
06-07-2008, 08:33 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Nice shots with the 35mm. I like the repeating balconies quite a bit. I do intend to get the 35 some day, but I'm excited to get home from traveling, as I have a Takumar 17mm f/4 FE waiting for me... I hope I like it as much as I think I'm going to.

I need to experiment with A-mode metering again, maybe I was just doing something weird that day...
wow heliphoto, I am going to envy you for the 17mm.
may I ask how much you paid for it, resp, for how much it is trading?
I guess for me, like for Mechan1k, it more likely will be the 16mm Zenitar...some day, or is the 17mm Takumar not that much more expensive?

enjoy,
Andreas

06-07-2008, 05:01 PM   #39
Veteran Member

wow heliphoto, I am going to envy you for the 17mm.
may I ask how much you paid for it, resp, for how much it is trading?
I guess for me, like for Mechan1k, it more likely will be the 16mm Zenitar...some day, or is the 17mm Takumar not that much more expensive?

enjoy,
Andreas
I got it on ebay for $150, but I think it went for less than average because it's been moded with a k-mount adapter screwed on and the retention hole drilled so it can be mounted and unmounted like a k-mount lens. To me this is advantageous, but I think it lowered the value for some people (all the better for me).

Using the completed listing search on ebay it looks like their going for $230+.
06-07-2008, 07:26 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I got it on ebay for $150...using the completed listing search on ebay it looks like their going for $230+.
oh, there is a completed listing search on ebay? Never knew there was, must check it out!

and please do report back how you like the Takumar 17mm.
here and there I have read opinions that for the very wide range old lenses do not perform up to the standard of new ones, so I am very curious how you feel about it.

cheers,
Andreas
06-07-2008, 10:23 PM   #41
Veteran Member

- yes I quoted myself... weird I know.
Ok, I can confirm that on my K200 with the 28mm f/3.5 SMC Tak, the green button exposes correctly, while A-mode under exposes by 2.5 stops. I remember that I found before that I could set EV compensation +2 and have the shots come out a bit dark, but the green button works perfectly for me.

oh, there is a completed listing search on ebay? Never knew there was, must check it out!

and please do report back how you like the Takumar 17mm.
here and there I have read opinions that for the very wide range old lenses do not perform up to the standard of new ones, so I am very curious how you feel about it.

cheers,
Andreas
I will update you with my thoughts on the 17mm f/4 FE sometime next week. Can't wait...
06-24-2008, 01:44 PM   #42
Forum Member

Hello, my first post to this forum.
I found you all by searching for this lens; SUper Takumar 28mm F3.5.
My Dad gave me his old Spotmatic kit, and I just used this lens for the first time on my K100d (will try to post images tonight).
I am very impressed with this all metal and glass work of art!
It will join my other two primes, 50/1.4 FA and the 135/2.5 Takumar as my most used Pentax lenses
06-24-2008, 06:27 PM   #43
Veteran Member

hi Marilith,

those old Takumars are addictive!
wish you much fun with it

@ heliphoto: any experience with the 17mm yet? ( I was looking at one in a shop yesterday, very tempting! )

cheers,
Andreas
06-24-2008, 06:30 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There's a 17mm FE in the Marketplace at the moment ... but at $400 ... it is out of my price range.

Although a Pentax 10-17 FE just got sold for about $350 which i thought was pretty cheap for what it is.
06-24-2008, 10:24 PM   #45
Veteran Member

@ heliphoto: any experience with the 17mm yet? ( I was looking at one in a shop yesterday, very tempting! )

cheers,
Andreas
Yeah, I see you found my other thread re: the 17mm, and I'll update it briefly in a minute here. The short short version is that I don't find my 17mm FE to be quite as stellar a performer as the 28mm, but I do really like it... especially the field of view (though of course that just makes me want a 10-17!)