Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2008, 03:34 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
- yes I quoted myself... weird I know.
Ok, I can confirm that on my K200 with the 28mm f/3.5 SMC Tak, the green button exposes correctly, while A-mode under exposes by 2.5 stops. I remember that I found before that I could set EV compensation +2 and have the shots come out a bit dark, but the green button works perfectly for me.

That tends to be my experience as well - I haven't tried Mike Cash's tin foil solution as yet (put foil across the mount contacts), but now that I think of it, some of the fatter non-Takumar screw mount lenses do cover the contacts, and do give more accurate A mode exposure.

And the plastic mount Lensbaby also under exposes 2.5 stops.

The Tak 28 is a beautiful lens, one I still lack.

06-25-2008, 05:07 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Once you try it you'll make some tin foil and a roll of scotch tape standard equipment in your camera bag. It lets me go from a +2 EV adjustment to a +1.

That extra one stop of wiggle room on the plus side used to be very handy for making a quick adjustment for backlit subjects....until my EV adjustment button broke off the camera. Now I have to poke a paper clip down in there to activate the button.
03-20-2009, 03:22 AM   #48

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF indicator not seen.

I am pretty excited to get my first M42 baby super Takumar 28/3.5. Also received original Pentax adapter. Easily mounted and screwed the lens. Tried couple of shots and Av mode with lens set in Auto switch mode and couple of shots in Manual mode with green button pressed. Looks like I need to get used to exposure compensation as all shots are under exposed. I will do home work.

My main concern now after using first M42 is, I do not see focusing hexagonal symbol now. From the research on net, people say that m42 with dSLR shows this beep sound and hexagonal confirmation. But for me it is not showing. What am I missing here?

thanks in advance.

edit: I use pentax K100Dsuper
03-20-2009, 03:46 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Tried couple of shots and Av mode with lens set in Auto switch mode and couple of shots in Manual mode with green button pressed. Looks like I need to get used to exposure compensation as all shots are under exposed. I will do home work.
Take the lens off Auto and keep the switch on Manual when mounted on a K camera. On Auto it remains wide open regardless of what you do with the camera - there's nothing to push the aperture pin in a K mount camera. Manual mode on the lens switch makes the aperture blades move when you move the aperture ring. On Auto, the blades move only when the pin in the mount is pushed in. Try it and see.

03-20-2009, 03:53 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sudhakar Quote
I am pretty excited to get my first M42 baby super Takumar 28/3.5. Also received original Pentax adapter. Easily mounted and screwed the lens. Tried couple of shots and Av mode with lens set in Auto switch mode and couple of shots in Manual mode with green button pressed. Looks like I need to get used to exposure compensation as all shots are under exposed. I will do home work.
setting the lens switch to 'A' is not recommended since the lens will always stay fully open, only the 'M' setting allows for variation of aperture settings.

I am using the *istDs which is metering better, but on all the K models including yours a ex. comp. of about 1.5 will be necessary.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sudhakar Quote
My main concern now after using first M42 is, I do not see focusing hexagonal symbol now. From the research on net, people say that m42 with dSLR shows this beep sound and hexagonal confirmation. But for me it is not showing. What am I missing here?

thanks in advance.

edit: I use pentax K100Dsuper
focus confirmation should show, both peep and hexagon, some of the settings on the camera is not correct yet. I don't remember out of my head which it is but many knowledgeable people have been posting in this thread so it won't be long before somebody told you, if not I'll come back and will try to help again.

the 28/3.5 is a very nice lens for sure, some recent examples from Kathmandu:

03-20-2009, 04:09 AM   #51

Thank you. Went through each custom option and figured out.

FI with S lens used -- Set to Available ( When S mount lens used, focus indication funct. is made available).

thanks again also advise on Manual mode.

1st day... :-) prone to experiments anyway.

cheers
06-15-2009, 05:19 AM   #52

Hello, I am back. Recenlty acquired Pentax AF 1.7x Teleconverter and tried on K mount 300/4 and KA mount 50/1.7 and I am fine. However when I tried against this 28/3.5 takumar, infinity focus is lost. Followed proper steps like attached the teleconverter, over it used pentax original m42 adapter and then screwed in Super Takumar 28/3.5.

I kind of understand, no contact points between lens and adapter? teleconverter (which is supposed to become autofocus) does not know actual lens information? not sure.

Please through some light.

thanks in advance

06-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #53
Forum Member

I just figured out the hyperfocal points on the lens a couple of weeks ago. My second favorite lens, and incredibly useful for snapshots and street shots.

I don't find I ever have to adjust the EV more than a stop in either direction when shooting at f8 or f11.
06-16-2009, 01:55 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
Thanks for the info on this Christine. That does ring a bell what you mention ... I have just had a look at it now and I understand what is going on now.

If i set my aperture at f/5.6 ... and get focus at 2m away ... I will have an infocus area of approximately 1.3 infront and 4-5 metres past the focal point .... I think that's right (just going on the markings on the lens.)

One thing I have noticed next to the 3.5 hyperfocal marking is an "R" ... any idea what that might be for????
I had the M 28/3.5 for years. It was (and still is according to my daughter in law) a wonderful lens. It made a great 2:1 macro reversed on the camera, too. I am trying to visualize the markings on the M 28 in my head. They were pretty close to f/8 at 10 feet (3 m). They were marked in orange on the M and basically gave everything from 5 ft to infinity in focus for an acceptably sharp 8x12 print.

The other thing is, if your super tak won't stop down as you turn the aperture ring, set it to Man rather than Auto. The K mount SLR models don't have the plate that pushes the pin in the back of the camera to stop it down when the picture is taken. With the lens in Man mode, the aperture will close as you turn the aperture ring, and Av then works fine at the taking aperture.
06-25-2009, 04:21 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow ... that was an old post from me.

Don't worry Albert .. I have the Super Tak sorted ... it's a great little lens indeed. What I do want to try though is the reversing ring/thread for it .... and mount it to the front of one of my Super Tak 50's (or 55). I am sure to get some decent results.
06-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
Wow ... that was an old post from me.

Don't worry Albert .. I have the Super Tak sorted ... it's a great little lens indeed. What I do want to try though is the reversing ring/thread for it .... and mount it to the front of one of my Super Tak 50's (or 55). I am sure to get some decent results.
When I used the 28 reversed, it was directly on the camera, not on the front of another lens. There are adaptors available for that in 52mm and 49mm front threads. The 52 is the one I had so I also used a 49>52 filter thread step down.
09-16-2009, 05:00 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
As for the hyperfocal markings, set your aperture, then look at the left and right hyperfocal distance markings for that aperture.
Be aware though, the that markings are appropriate for a full format camera. For a crop camera the following procedure provides a usable approximation of the distances for APS-C: Take the reading for a stop less than you are shooting, e.g., read the markings at f/5.6 when shooting at f/8.