Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
11-06-2014, 07:05 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax 77mm f1.8 vs 31mm f1.8

I don't want to start any flame wars but these 2 lenses(77mm f1.8 & 31mm f1.8 Limited) are considered the heavyweights of the Pentax lens line up, but honestly which one is the better lens. Non-owners need not reply...

11-06-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I don't want to start any flame wars but these 2 lenses(77mm f1.8 & 31mm f1.8 Limited) are considered the heavyweights of the Pentax lens line up, but honestly which one is the better lens. Non-owners need not reply...
I have both...I love both..i probably use the 31 more but I love the 77 more...both are amazing...what you should get will depend on what type of pictures you take...most likely you will buy 1 and like it so much you will buy the other
11-06-2014, 07:24 PM   #3

No need for flame wars, the FA 77 already engaged the FA 31 in officially sanctioned fisticuffs and was victorious after a long and angsty twenty-four hours.
11-06-2014, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If I must have only one, I'd get the 31. But at the moment, you'll have to pry the 77 out of my dead hand. (And we are not talking about the 43 yet.)

Honestly, it's impossible to choose just one.

11-06-2014, 07:43 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

I love the 31mm and the 43mm... the 77mm is no different. All three are just photographic gold. Using the term 'better' simply does not apply to any of the three.

The build quality on them is better than almost any brand of lens made.

The good thing about these lenses are that you don't need to fret about small differences. You know you got gold. It's really just a matter of focal length, which is dictated by your style of shooting and or the situation you find yourself in.

The real question should not be 'which one is better' because despite the 'vote off' we've had it's like trying to compare which brand of razor blades are sharper than the other.

The question in all this is which lenses are going to be more useful. I am split between the 31 and 43mm, but about 75% of the time the 31mm is on my camera... not because of the difference in 'being better' but because of the focal length, field of view, etc etc. I just don't have the habit (maybe I haven't learned the proper use), but I just don't use longer lenses as much.
11-06-2014, 08:31 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've stayed quiet through this whole silly "Best Pentax Lens" competition and many of the other "which is best" discussions,
The issue I see left out all the time, is "Best for what?"
While I'm sure the 31 and the 77 are fine lenses, I don't want to try and shoot birds in flight with them, or orcas on Puget Sound. They are also likely not much good for shooting interior architecture in small rooms. For candid portraits or as a walk around lens in an urban setting, maybe they are best.

Each lens has a job, if it fits your needs then it is likely the "Best" lens for you, regardless of what all the test reports and other opinions say.
If you buy a great lens and it does not fit your shooting style or subject matter, it's not much good.

I don't see any practical way to grade these two lenses in the same realm, they are two different beasts that deserve to be assessed on their own individual merits for the tasks they excel at.

And I'm breaking the rule stated above, I own neither.
11-06-2014, 08:32 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

I have both the FA31mm and FA77mm. I love both. Practically I use more the FA31mm but I become increasingly in favor of the FA77mm.

Tough call! Get both!

11-06-2014, 08:52 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I have both the FA31mm and FA77mm. I love both. Practically I use more the FA31mm but I become increasingly in favor of the FA77mm.

Tough call! Get both!
I have both, but just recently acquired the 31mm. Love it. Simply amazing and so so sharp.

For my second prime lens, I had lucked into an SMC Tak 85mm 1.8. Except for autofocus that lens gives the 77mm a heck of a run for the money. I like the 77mm a lot; but that 85mm is pretty special in my book too.

Right now, I prefer the 31mm. But I love both.

Brad
11-06-2014, 09:09 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The biggest problem we all have with these "what's the best lens? " threads is that some of these really great lenses just don't fit into everybody's style. I don't own the 31 or the 77 because honestly, they would collect dust. I know there are some who will say to buy them and lenses will change your mind but I doubt it. I use very wide lenses for landscapes and also car shows. I use telephotos for sports and some bird and wildlife shots. I also do some macro. I have quite a few dust collectors already.
11-06-2014, 09:23 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This question has no answer. Pick the one that meets the focal length you want to shoot at.

Last edited by jeffshaddix; 11-06-2014 at 09:37 PM.
11-07-2014, 03:57 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is really hard to compare lenses of very different focal length and say which is "better." If you are shooting indoors, the FA 31 will probably be better because you won't necessarily have room for the FA 77 to do its magic. If you are doing portraiture, the FA 77 will likely be better. I will say that I find my copy of the FA 77 to be sharper wide open and is a little better at smoothing out rough backgrounds, but it isn't 31mm and if I need a wider angle, the FA 31 is awesome.
11-07-2014, 04:54 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
This question has no answer. Pick the one that meets the focal length you want to shoot at.
Yep! Thatīs the answer! "Pick the one that meet the focal length you want to shoot at!" And, if you buy the FA31 you probably want to buy the FA77 - and when you got them both you probably want to buy the FA43. And you donīt regret! Good luck!
11-07-2014, 09:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I love the 31mm and the 43mm... the 77mm is no different. All three are just photographic gold. Using the term 'better' simply does not apply to any of the three.

The build quality on them is better than almost any brand of lens made.

The good thing about these lenses are that you don't need to fret about small differences. You know you got gold. It's really just a matter of focal length, which is dictated by your style of shooting and or the situation you find yourself in.

The real question should not be 'which one is better' because despite the 'vote off' we've had it's like trying to compare which brand of razor blades are sharper than the other.

The question in all this is which lenses are going to be more useful. I am split between the 31 and 43mm, but about 75% of the time the 31mm is on my camera... not because of the difference in 'being better' but because of the focal length, field of view, etc etc. I just don't have the habit (maybe I haven't learned the proper use), but I just don't use longer lenses as much.
Agree fully - well said.

There is no meaning to say which of the three is best. The 77, 43 and 31 are ALL superb. There is no 'best'. Depends on personal preference, and intended usage.

---------- Post added 11-08-14 at 01:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
I've stayed quiet through this whole silly "Best Pentax Lens" competition and many of the other "which is best" discussions,
The issue I see left out all the time, is "Best for what?"
While I'm sure the 31 and the 77 are fine lenses, I don't want to try and shoot birds in flight with them, or orcas on Puget Sound. They are also likely not much good for shooting interior architecture in small rooms. For candid portraits or as a walk around lens in an urban setting, maybe they are best.

Each lens has a job, if it fits your needs then it is likely the "Best" lens for you, regardless of what all the test reports and other opinions say.
If you buy a great lens and it does not fit your shooting style or subject matter, it's not much good.

I don't see any practical way to grade these two lenses in the same realm, they are two different beasts that deserve to be assessed on their own individual merits for the tasks they excel at.

And I'm breaking the rule stated above, I own neither.
Well said.

Last edited by KDAFA; 11-07-2014 at 09:42 AM.