Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2014, 08:06 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some Schneider B+W filters are available on Hong Kong web stores at a much cheaper price than in Western Europe or North America.

These filters are not fakes, but a filter marketed for SE Asia. The filter ring is made of a metal alloy instead of solid brass. The glass is the same and the only difference is the cheaper metal used in the filer ring.

Phil.

11-07-2014, 08:26 AM   #17
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use hoods on my lenses, done away with the lens cap, and instead use "Hoodies" that slip over the hood. They are extremely easy to use, protects glass from dust, moisture. Regardless of the price, I think adding any additional glass to your lens can easily degrade the image slightly.
11-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Personally, I'd try it. If you don't like it, don't use it.
Can't really argue with that since the OP has already bought it.
11-07-2014, 01:57 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I use cheap (as in $5 cheap) UV filters as protection on most of my lenses & I haven't seen any degradation of IQ, even when A / B testing for it. There are situations when I remove the filter, such as night photography, concert photography with stage lights, etc... situations where glare might be caused by a strong point-light source.

Personally, I'd try it. If you don't like it, don't use it.
Yes, I think it's a good idea to try out the new filter. I have filters on the other lenses I use regularly and cannot attribute any bad photos to their use. Mostly I want a UV or skylight filter to protect my lens physically and was wondering if a cheap one would do this job without compromising image quality.

11-07-2014, 03:32 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by P. Soo Quote
Yes, I think it's a good idea to try out the new filter. I have filters on the other lenses I use regularly and cannot attribute any bad photos to their use. Mostly I want a UV or skylight filter to protect my lens physically and was wondering if a cheap one would do this job without compromising image quality.
As pointed out above, I always protect my lenses this way. I think I will need to do a comparison test to see difference, if any. I'll take one of my best primes, and try it with an expensive skylight/UV filter, with a cheap one, and without one, and see if there's any image degradation.
11-07-2014, 03:39 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
As pointed out above, I always protect my lenses this way. I think I will need to do a comparison test to see difference, if any. I'll take one of my best primes, and try it with an expensive skylight/UV filter, with a cheap one, and without one, and see if there's any image degradation.
If you consider them credible,
11-07-2014, 05:31 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
If you consider them credible, DigitalRev did a UV filter test.
Thanks for posting. I think I'll do my own test without the theatrics of running around between trees. Just some simple, finely focussed comparative images.

11-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
If you consider them credible, DigitalRev did a UV filter test.
This video gives the definitive answer I've been seeking. Many of the respondents to this thread seem to agree with some or all of the conclusions. What the video demonstrates is that a cheap filter is likely to be inferior to an expensive one, but both will degrade image quality under some conditions. The video also proves that the filter will physically protect the lens. Therefore, one must decide whether or not to strive to produce the best images possible regardless of the risk of damaging the lens That's a personal decision. I think I'll use my cheap filter to protect my valuable lenses.

Last edited by psoo; 11-09-2014 at 04:52 AM. Reason: grammar
11-07-2014, 07:56 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This video gives the definitive answer I've been seeking. Many of the respondents to this thread seem to agree with some or all of the conclusions. What the video demonstrates is that a cheap filter is likely to be inferior to an expensive one, but both will degrade image quality under some conditions The video also proves that the filter will physically protect the lens. Therefore, one must decide whether to strive to produce the best images possible regardless of the risk of damaging the lens That's a personal decision. I think I'll use my cheap filter to protect my valuable lenses.
Although I don't use filters myself, I do concur with their conclusion: use filters to protect your threading, not your glass. My K-x kit lens' threading has collapsed from being thrown into too many bags, but I've never had an issue with any of my other lenses metal or plastic.
11-08-2014, 02:18 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's a shot with a cheap filter, shot today.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/122-lens-clubs/244261d1415437...1108162545.jpg
At this thead: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/27739-m-club-315.html
11-08-2014, 02:57 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would say very good filter on a lens with poor coating could be an advantage. I checked this with some old lenses and for some it was working good. For other lenses I use the hoods as a protection.
11-08-2014, 04:49 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Piotrek K Quote
I would say very good filter on a lens with poor coating could be an advantage. I checked this with some old lenses and for some it was working good. For other lenses I use the hoods as a protection.
Makes sense. Thanks.

---------- Post added 11-08-14 at 06:53 AM ----------

That's a great shot. Your cheap filter didn't seem to do any harm to image quality.
11-08-2014, 08:55 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here are a few examples taken with dirt-cheap Zeikos & Massa filters from eBay:

First two taken with K-x & Pentax DA-L 55-300. Last one taken with K-100D & Tamron SP 23A 60-300. I also always use a hood.

I might add that I've had both cheap and more expensive name-brand filters that actually did noticeably affect IQ. Close inspection of these filters reveal they have an almost hazy appearance, likely caused by off-gassing plastic packaging. in some cases it can permanently chemically etch the glass. It's less to do with the brand and more to do with the clarity of the glass.

Last edited by GibbyTheMole; 11-08-2014 at 09:12 AM.
11-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Makes sense. Thanks.

---------- Post added 11-08-14 at 06:53 AM ----------

That's a great shot. Your cheap filter didn't seem to do any harm to image quality.
Thank you. As I suspected, a cheap filter is unlikely to deteriorate a well focussed image.