Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2007, 04:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
New Lenses

Very excited as Pentax just sent me all of the lenses I requested. Last week I was using their demo lenses and just got all new in box sent to me by courier. I will be using the 21, 40 and 70 Limited's and the 100DA Macro and the 16-45 & 12-24 zooms. I really like them all, but the 12-24 is very special. Can't wait to really use them next week...

Benji

01-31-2007, 06:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Wow, that is very nice to have all these limited lenses...

That would make me work few months to pay off these lenses.

I would love to hear your give or take on Da 70
01-31-2007, 06:41 AM   #3

Hi Benjamin!
I was followed all your topics on dpreview.com...
...and all that what happen to you... it/s a shame!!!
I just wanted to ask you what you got of Pentax lenses... and saw this topic! Wink
I wanted to know how are you satisfied with them for your professional purpose. Is in the same league like your Canon lenses before?

What's your opinion about 16-45/4 ?

Thanks for informations and help what you always giving! Wink
Sorry for bad english. (I am from Croatia)

Salute.
Iv/JAZZer
01-31-2007, 10:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Benjamin, I was considering the 12-24 but went for the fisheye instead (I wanted some fun). What do you like about that particular lens that made it stand out for you?

Thanks.

01-31-2007, 11:23 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From a Novice

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Very excited as Pentax just sent me all of the lenses I requested. Last week I was using their demo lenses and just got all new in box sent to me by courier. I will be using the 21, 40 and 70 Limited's and the 100DA Macro and the 16-45 & 12-24 zooms. I really like them all, but the 12-24 is very special. Can't wait to really use them next week...

Benji
Welcome to the forum Benjikan.

I'm less than a beginner since I don't even have a camera yet but I'm looking at getting a K10D or K100D for my first foray into SLR photography and would be interested in what you think of the DA 16-45mm f/4.0 lens. I plan on getting the kit that comes with a lens (18-55mm) and was wondering if it would be better to get the 16-45mm and skip the kit lens.

In addition I was thinking of picking up a DA 40mm f/2.8 later on for low light indoor family photography so I'm courious what you think of that one as well.

Thanks for your insight on the forum, I read it regularly.

Last edited by KFrog; 01-31-2007 at 11:28 AM. Reason: wrong lens number
01-31-2007, 11:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
70mm Limited

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Wow, that is very nice to have all these limited lenses...

That would make me work few months to pay off these lenses.

I would love to hear your give or take on Da 70
This lens is incredibly sharp. I used to use the Canon 85 quite a bit. That was my barometer for this foacal length. This lens is nice for portraits. A little bit too long for my style of shooting. The contrast is superb. Very solid build all metal. Very novel lens hood as well. Actually the most novel lens hood has to be the 21, followed by the 40. It is conical in shape. I think I may go back to primes again. I used to shoot most of my stuff with the 17-40L which is an excellent lens. One of the best out there. But when viewing the Limited lens resolution, i'll give primes a try. I just like the convenience of zooming in or out.

Take Care
Ben
01-31-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
16-45

QuoteOriginally posted by JAZZer Quote
Hi Benjamin!
I just wanted to ask you what you got of Pentax lenses... and saw this topic! Wink
I wanted to know how are you satisfied with them for your professional purpose. Is in the same league like your Canon lenses before?

Salute.
Iv/JAZZer
Did I not answer this question?...Oh well no problem. I have tested the 16-45 against the 17-40 L and find the 16-45 sharper in the center and the 17-40 sharper on the edges. Anyone have a glass cutter so I can benifit the best of both worlds
01-31-2007, 12:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
12-24 Da

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Benjamin, I was considering the 12-24 but went for the fisheye instead (I wanted some fun). What do you like about that particular lens that made it stand out for you?

Thanks.

It is an incredibly capable lens at all focal lengths and shines between 12-18. Again there is a split in quality here. The CA is higher at wider FL's and lesser at longer FL's but not as sharp. But we all already knew that this anomaly is normal in most extreme wide angle zooms. It is very well built and is not too heavy. I am using a very good Hoya Pro UV filter for it. Hate to scratch the element. We all know that this was a Pentax-Tokina collaboration.

01-31-2007, 04:45 PM   #9
Site Supporter

aha...

It is an incredibly capable lens at all focal lengths and shines between 12-18. Again there is a split in quality here. The CA is higher at wider FL's and lesser at longer FL's but not as sharp. But we all already knew that this anomaly is normal in most extreme wide angle zooms. It is very well built and is not too heavy. I am using a very good Hoya Pro UV filter for it. Hate to scratch the element. We all know that this was a Pentax-Tokina collaboration.
So, like the K10D, it's Highly Recommended (just)...

Your comments on the other primes is encouraging - my sights are set on an FA* 85/1.4, 77mm Limited or the DA70 as a portrait lens, although one of the wider primes might be worthy of consideration...
01-31-2007, 04:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

With your profession

This lens is incredibly sharp. I used to use the Canon 85 quite a bit. That was my barometer for this foacal length. This lens is nice for portraits. A little bit too long for my style of shooting. The contrast is superb. Very solid build all metal. Very novel lens hood as well. Actually the most novel lens hood has to be the 21, followed by the 40. It is conical in shape. I think I may go back to primes again. I used to shoot most of my stuff with the 17-40L which is an excellent lens. One of the best out there. But when viewing the Limited lens resolution, i'll give primes a try. I just like the convenience of zooming in or out.

Take Care
Ben
Since you do a lot of fashion pro works using 85L, how would you feel comparing the images coming from canon 85L and pentax Da70?

I own 85 f1.2L as well and I still like the sparkles coming out of Fa77 Ltd. It would be interesting to hear from you regarding the use of these lenses in pro fashion protrait shots

Thanks
01-31-2007, 04:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Croatia

QuoteOriginally posted by JAZZer Quote
Hi Benjamin!

Salute.
Iv/JAZZer
My ex-girlfriend was from Croatia..family name Rukavina...
02-01-2007, 01:59 AM   #12

My ex-girlfriend was from Croatia..family name Rukavina...
I have some neighbors with that family name!!!!
(It's usually/non uncommonly surname)

Thanks again for answering me on my question!
I ask the same one on another forum

I wanna a know did you try some of old Pentax FA or FA* lenses....
...special I am interested to know did you try FA 50mm/1,4 (it's still selling) ...and if you did, what is your opinion ?

Salute.
JAZZer
02-04-2007, 06:01 AM   #13

Ben:
I have the 12-24mm too and in doing some high contrast shots (Pine trees branches against a blue sky in late afternoon at right angles to the sun) noticed some pretty severe CA with mine. I tried the same shot in all modes to see if it made any difference. The lens was tack sharp, just a lot of CA in the upper branches against the sky. Care to comment or offer suggestions? I figure it's just my (amateur) shooting ignorance! The only filter on it is the same as yours-a Hoya Pro Digital UV filter.
Rob W