Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2014, 09:19 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How do you actually use your 60-250?

I've been using the 60-250 for about two years, first with the K20D and now with the K-3. and in all that time, I've used the supplied tripod foot maybe 3 times.

a lot of people complain that the lens is heavy. That's true, but I often find myself carrying it mounted on the camera, held by a basic neoprene strap around my neck. I simply have not felt the need for more stability and more support.

How do you guys carry and use the 60-250? I guess the question also applies to user of long primes such as the 300.

11-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First, I wish I had a 60-250 to carry around but I don't. Seeing your question may be a little more about large lenses in general I do have a DA*300 and a Tamron 70-200/2.8 which are both large and have tripod collars. I seldom use either on a tripod, mostly handheld. I don't use neck straps on my cameras, that goes back a couple years ago when I was having a neck problem. At that time I switched to a Black Rapid shoulder sling, which I feel is infinitely superior to a neck strap for me. I screw the strap into the tripod collar's socket and that's how I carry it. The lens is heavier than the camera and needs the support more, it is also balanced this way, which is why the collar is positioned where it is. If all of the support is on the camera there will be a lot of stress on the mount of the camera and the lens. I've personally never heard of a mount breaking but they could. I remember an article that wildlife photographer George Lepp wrote in Outdoor Photographer recently, where he mentioned hearing the sounds of cracking mounts when writing about support of large lenses (sorry, I can't quote it exactly) so it must have happened before.

However, if I am driving in the car and may stop to shoot out the window, I keep the straps off. That way I don't quickly pick the camera up and catch the strap on a gear shift of something. Living in a more rural area I do this a lot.
11-07-2014, 10:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The 60-250+K5ii+grip is going on 5 lbs and that is a fairly significant amount of weight to hang from your neck which is why I use a blackrapid sling strap. I tend to lean against things like trees, fences, etc when shooting if they are available. Otherwise, keeping the shutter speed at least equal to the focal length helps a lot and using SR helps too.
11-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
I usually turn the tripod foot around so that the bottom is facing upwards (when looking straight down at the camera) and then I use that as a handle to carry the lens and camera. Admittedly it's a little less comfortable on the Pentax since the tripod foot is so small and close to the lens but it worked pretty well when I had my Tamron 70-200.

11-07-2014, 11:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian

As Tom alludes to above, a large lens can definitely rip the mounting plate from the face of your camera. Carry by the lens barrel. Another word of caution is to not over-tighten the tripod foot to the collar ring -- the pincers can crack that metal at the attachment points if overdone.
11-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Interesting that no one mentions using the tripod foot to actually mount the lens on a tripod (or monopod). That's my experience too. With SR and high ISO on modern cameras images are sharp enough even without a tripod for stabilization.

I do use a tripod often, just not with that lens. I guess it's because of the situations when I use the 60-250.
11-07-2014, 01:14 PM   #7

I have a wrist strap on my k-5 iis +grip and I generally walk around holding the camera in my hand with the strap to prevent dropping it. It does get heavy on long treks but that's part of the suffering it generally takes to get a keeper anyway! I always wanted a holster that would hold the beast steady at my waist but I've not seen such an animal.

11-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My 60-250 has a converted tripod plate and a screw for a black rapid strap. The plate in theory is to put it on my smaller tripod. However 100% of the time it has the black rapid strap on it. I find it balances very nicely and comfortably using a black rapid.

Confession
When I go out with three bodies one will always be the 60-250 over one arm. Over the other arm I will have another camera on a black rapid strap such as a 17-50 or a prime eg 500mm. Around the neck will be the K01 with a ltd lens or 10-20 zoom. (with that much gear hanging off me, I feel like a bit of a dick but I get the job done)

So for me the tripod foot is essential
11-07-2014, 03:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
As Tom alludes to above, a large lens can definitely rip the mounting plate from the face of your camera. Carry by the lens barrel. Another word of caution is to not over-tighten the tripod foot to the collar ring -- the pincers can crack that metal at the attachment points if overdone.
Has anybody ever had damage to the mounting plate from a heavy lens? I was worried about that at first but now I usually carry the heavy lenses by holding the camera with wrist strap. It balances nicely that way.
11-07-2014, 03:24 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I don't have this lens but similarly sized Tamron 70-200. I removed tripod mount collar and cut the weight down some. I'd say it comes down to intended use. Tripod for landscape, handheld for running after animals (and children )
11-09-2014, 10:59 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have mainly used the 60-250 on hikes and for nature photos in general. However, it has also gotten good use for portraits and various close ups where I want some nice bokeh. I am clearly not a serious photographer because, although I have several nice ones, I rarely use a tripod. The 60-250 is large but is, for me, very manageable.
11-09-2014, 11:06 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am patiently waiting for either Black Friday or Cyber Monday along with a good price to acquire a 60-250. Going to AF for my long lenses. I use a tripod quite a bit - more than 70% of the time, even with wide angle lenses. I want to use the 60-250 for more of a detailed, up close set of stitched panoramic images. I want the compression and I am thinking of some additional ways to add to the texture and depth of field feeling. Maybe it will work, maybe not. This should be just in time for some snow shots up at the Grand Canyon and Sedona.

11-09-2014, 01:40 PM   #13

I would also normally try to carry the 60-250 by the lens but it is also still light enough to carry by the body. Once you get to my FA* 300 F2.8 and the FA* 600 F4 this is not a options (You have a lot bigger trouble...hehe). But luckily these lenses comes with a strap connected to the Lens. So I assume Pentax would have done this on the 60-250mm is this was a concern.