Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
11-07-2014, 10:41 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
I own both and while I like the DA70 and consider it a fine lens I absolutely love the FA77 (could very well be my favorite Pentax lens although I shoot more with the FA31). I very rarely touch the DA70 anymore (except to occasionally marvel at its compactness of design). All three FA Limiteds are the jewels of the Pentax lens world as far as I'm concerned.
This. The DA40 was the first autofocus lens I ever bought. It's compact, focuses quickly and produces tack sharp images, but I almost never use it because I prefer the FA77's rendering (even though the focal length has me doing acrobatics trying to take indoor portraits). The DA series tends to render more clinically, whereas the FA limiteds have a much smoother transition to OOF areas and what someone described as "dissolved sugar bokeh" in the "How is the 77 Difficult?" thread.

11-07-2014, 10:49 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yup, to be honest that's the curse of DAs. Once their FA brethren arrives, they are consigned to the dry box or worse, to the marketplace. I had a DA40XS (optically similar to DA40) once. When the 43 arrived, the 40 had to go. When I got the 77, the 70 lost its allure to me. The FA Limited will almost always displace the DA counterparts, despite the CA and all. When (or if) the FF arrives, I fear that there will be a deluge of DA limiteds in the market, and a scarcity of FA.
11-08-2014, 12:57 AM - 1 Like   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Tracking little kids as they run around can be tough... but a skillful photographer should be able to do more than simply point his camera at the kids and expect the camera's AF to do all the work.
a person who is going though this same LBA angst, and started the other thread on this linked here; the one thing that I still think the 70 has going for it; quick shift. It is pretty much the only thing that makes me lean that way (outside of, you know, price). QS is a life saver.

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
Has anyone ever bought the DA70 and then after using it thought damn, I should have gone for the 77?
From my reading here, it seems not. Though, to be honest; I have a feeling that if I never started reading about the 77, the 70 would have been perfect, and I never would have looked back. From my understanding, both of the are excellent; but the 77 is amazing, while the 70 is "merely" very good.

As owning neither (yet), I can't say anything definitively, but it seems the consciousness here is pretty much always going to fall onto the 77.

Last edited by Omestes; 11-08-2014 at 02:00 AM.
11-08-2014, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought a silver MIJ FA77 fairly soon after my first DSLR. It was love at first sight.

A year or so later I acquired a fine second-hand DA70, and despite it having essentially no flaws, I could not find a reason to keep it; there is just something special about the way the FA77 renders, especially when human faces are in the picture. I liken it to comparing the work of a skilled tradesman to that of an inspired artist.

A year or two down the track and the FA77 still delivers every time. I would love it to have quick shift and modern coatings, but it'll do for now.

11-08-2014, 02:00 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting thread. I have a couple of really fine superb 85's (Contax Zeiss and and Asahi Auto Tak), and I am shifting over to AF. It becomes a question of keeping one of the MF and possibly getting a 70/77. I am thinking that since I have a 31 Ltd, I would feel the pull to the 77 - with my Chancellor of the Exchequer complaining all the way along.

11-08-2014, 04:03 AM - 3 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They are both really good lenses. I used to own the DA 70 and eventually bought the FA 77 and sold the DA 70. The issue was the faster aperture -- my wife does wedding photography and she likes fast lenses (that's fine with me). Fringing is definitely the biggest issue with the FA 77. Otherwise, it is sharp at f1.8 and has very nice rendering. The DA 70 does too, but not quite at the same level.

I'll just post some random shots with both (not really comparison shots, because I didn't own them at the same time). (these are the DA 70 version, not the HD version)...

DA 70

FA 77

I hope that is helpful.
11-08-2014, 11:02 AM   #22

Rondec, you really need to stop posting good shots taken with the 77! Every time I see your name in these forums I shudder, and think "why, oh why do I have to wait another month or so before having this!". It isn't good for my mental health.

11-08-2014, 11:22 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Completely understandable... I'd get a combination of whip-lash and the bends too, if my jump had been from a K10D to a K-3.
Cheers... M
It was less shocking if one took a break at the K-01 between the two groundbreaking dSLR's.
11-08-2014, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Has anyone ever bought the DA70 and then after using it thought damn, I should have gone for the 77?
not really the same ....but I had FA77, bought DA70, sold FA77, later bought another FA77, compared again to DA70, sold FA77 ......still having DA70....
IQ wise they're very very close in their performing
there's no such thing as pixie dust, only a good light and a good eye
11-08-2014, 02:41 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
not really the same ....but I had FA77, bought DA70, sold FA77, later bought another FA77, compared again to DA70, sold FA77 ......still having DA70
So why did you pick one of the other? Just size, or...?
11-08-2014, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Omestes Quote
Rondec, you really need to stop posting good shots taken with the 77! Every time I see your name in these forums I shudder, and think "why, oh why do I have to wait another month or so before having this!". It isn't good for my mental health.
Well, the most important thing is to use the lenses. They weren't made just to stick on a shelf and gaze lovingly at them.
11-08-2014, 04:22 PM - 3 Likes   #27
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I deliberately avoided using that term, but there *is* something special about the focal transition and quality of bokeh from the FA77....

11-08-2014, 10:41 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I deliberately avoided using that term, but there *is* something special about the focal transition and quality of bokeh from the FA77....
I'm the one who used the term "pixie dust," and I believe much of that phrase has to do with the attributes Sandy mentioned.

You can have "good light and a good eye", but the right lens can breathe a kind of life into an image.
11-09-2014, 12:56 AM   #29
Pentaxian

'There's no such thing as pixie dust'...isn't this where the site moderator steps in?
11-09-2014, 05:46 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Not me. The DA70 is my all-time favorite lens. Granted, I've never tried the 77, but I enjoy the 70 so much I'm not even tempted by the 77. The price difference isn't worth it to me.