Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2014, 12:32 AM   #1
Forum Member

Do I really need to get a genuine Pentax M42 > K-Mount adaptor?

Hi there

I'm looking into getting some old Takumar glass, so I need an M42 to K-Mount adaptor, however the genuine ones are getting pretty expensive ($80-100 on eBay including postage to me in Australia). I've done a lot of research, including this excellent thread on these forums, and they all suggest the genuine version, but when the generic versions are around $5, is it really worth the investment?

And if it's not - is there anything I want to avoid in the generic versions?

Or - can anyone suggest some better quality generic ones?

Thanks!!

11-09-2014, 12:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought a generic. It was poorly made (the screw that held the clip to lock the adapter onto the camera went all the way through the metal and interfered with screwing the adapter onto the lens, and I couldn't unscrew it). I ended up throwing it away and buying a genuine adapter.
11-09-2014, 12:53 AM   #3
HYS
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had the chance to have the mentioned K-mount adapter - but I was disappointed.
The adapter had very unpleasant angular play in the bayonet of the body, being once attached.
So, if I can give advice, try it before baying.
11-09-2014, 01:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jeez, I might have to put my genuine adapter in the Markets!
I bought it in 1989 when I went from a Spotmatic to an SFx - and never used it.

11-09-2014, 01:28 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Jeez, I might have to put my genuine adapter in the Markets!
I bought it in 1989 when I went from a Spotmatic to an SFx - and never used it.
Well damn if you're looking to get it off your hands shoot me a PM!

---------- Post added 11-09-14 at 07:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
I bought a generic. It was poorly made (the screw that held the clip to lock the adapter onto the camera went all the way through the metal and interfered with screwing the adapter onto the lens, and I couldn't unscrew it). I ended up throwing it away and buying a genuine adapter.
Thanks for the advice, that's kind of what I was worried about.
11-09-2014, 01:29 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
Buy the genuine one, never breaks. It is a long long long term investment. Probably last as long as your glass.
11-09-2014, 02:14 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mythguy9 Quote
Buy the genuine one, never breaks. It is a long long long term investment. Probably last as long as your glass.
That seems to be the consensus, cheers mate

11-09-2014, 03:20 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The only time I ever touched a non-genuine one was in a camera shop. I put it on my K200D to try and it wouldn't come off. The repair technician had to take it away for 10 minutes to persuade it to come off the camera. I was terrified of M42 adapters for a couple of years after that but then I got a genuine Pentax one and have had no problems and enjoyed M42-mount lenses ever since. I got a spare adapter just in case anything happens to the first one.

E-bay prices can be very inflated. I paid around €30 to €35 each for my two, both bought on a Pentax forum. I'd suggest looking elsewhere. If p38arover doesn't sell you his, there are a lot of other Aussie Pentax users here on the forum and the marketplace can be used for WTB (want to buy) notices as well as advertising sales.

By the way, there are some lovely third-party M42 lenses out there too (I have a couple of wonderful Vivitars), not just Takumars.
11-09-2014, 03:28 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Another vote for the real deal.
11-09-2014, 03:36 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are essentially two types of adaptors, one that sits within the throat of the lens mount of the camera, and one that has a flange where part of it sits outside the throat of the lens mount on the camera. You want the first type and to avoid the second, as the flange will move the lens out away from the body and not let you achieve infinity focusing.

You should be able to tell from the product images about infinity focusing. More difficult to determine until you have the product is its construction quality and the potential for wobble as others have described. Pentax use to sell the adaptor for $30, and now its difficult to find them. That I can't figure out....

11-09-2014, 03:46 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Buy cheap and you can add that cost to the price of the genuine one you will eventually have to get. Soooo... you get the original one and immediately you have made a 10 percent saving. :-)
11-09-2014, 04:16 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
The only time I ever touched a non-genuine one was in a camera shop. I put it on my K200D to try and it wouldn't come off. The repair technician had to take it away for 10 minutes to persuade it to come off the camera. I was terrified of M42 adapters for a couple of years after that but then I got a genuine Pentax one and have had no problems and enjoyed M42-mount lenses ever since. I got a spare adapter just in case anything happens to the first one.

E-bay prices can be very inflated. I paid around €30 to €35 each for my two, both bought on a Pentax forum. I'd suggest looking elsewhere. If p38arover doesn't sell you his, there are a lot of other Aussie Pentax users here on the forum and the marketplace can be used for WTB (want to buy) notices as well as advertising sales.

By the way, there are some lovely third-party M42 lenses out there too (I have a couple of wonderful Vivitars), not just Takumars.
Thanks for the response, appreciate it. Will look into those lenses you suggested too. Cheers!

---------- Post added 11-09-14 at 10:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
There are essentially two types of adaptors, one that sits within the throat of the lens mount of the camera, and one that has a flange where part of it sits outside the throat of the lens mount on the camera. You want the first type and to avoid the second, as the flange will move the lens out away from the body and not let you achieve infinity focusing.

You should be able to tell from the product images about infinity focusing. More difficult to determine until you have the product is its construction quality and the potential for wobble as others have described. Pentax use to sell the adaptor for $30, and now its difficult to find them. That I can't figure out....

Thanks for the info!

---------- Post added 11-09-14 at 10:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Buy cheap and you can add that cost to the price of the genuine one you will eventually have to get. Soooo... you get the original one and immediately you have made a 10 percent saving. :-)
Good point!
11-09-2014, 06:01 AM   #13

I only used a generic one and never worked that well. But then again old Screw mount lenses takes some time to get use to so for someone to use them it is mostly for art reasons or to save cost and if you fall in this class start with a cheapy and see if it is what you want. But if you have a few great and hard to find screw mounds then rather get the original.

Cheers
11-09-2014, 06:51 AM   #14

Looks like the OP already got the answer (i.e. genuine is the best to go for). I just have a side question here: although there have been lots of nightmarish experience with non-genuine adapters, are they still good for converting m42 mounts into permanent k mount? That is, removing the spring and glue it to m42 lenses to the lens exchange is quicker...
11-09-2014, 09:55 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a NOS Kalt adapter that works well for me. However, I have gotten it stuck - a few minutes of panic, but it wasn't hard to resolve with patience and care so now I don't have difficulty. The adapter seems well made, but I can't compare it to the genuine Pentax since I don't have it.