Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Wide angle on a tightish budget!!!

Any advice? been roped into a photog weekend in wales, on the grounds that i speak welsh... have never taken a landscsap in my life. Thinking i need something wider than my 50mm any sugestions id rather a newer lens than a second hand one. Cheers in advance

11-11-2014, 09:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Honestly, if you are doing landscapes and stopped down to f8-f16, almost any modern lens would do, including the 18-55mm kit lens. As important as the lens is a good tripod.
On a tight budget I would go with the 16-45mm and a decent stable tripod + 2 second timer + base ISO.
11-11-2014, 10:20 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Honestly, if you are doing landscapes and stopped down to f8-f16, almost any modern lens would do, including the 18-55mm kit lens. As important as the lens is a good tripod.
On a tight budget I would go with the 16-45mm and a decent stable tripod + 2 second timer + base ISO.
Bet you can use your 50 and do a stitched panorama with a program like...

Microsoft Research Image Composite Editor (ICE)

Works great and it's FREE!

If you take this route, I suggest you practice using it before you go just to get the hang of how things fit together.

Cheers... M

Last edited by Michaelina2; 11-11-2014 at 01:35 PM.
11-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #4
Site Supporter

There are 2 things of which i am not sure. 1) Your budget (tightish being a descriptor rather than a number) and 2) If the weekend is dependent on weather conditions.
Here's my reasoning.. From Wikipedia:
Wales lies within the north temperate zone. It has a changeable, maritime climate and is one of the wettest countries in Europe. Welsh weather is often cloudy, wet and windy...

That being the case you might consider the 18-135 WR although it may well fall outside your budget restrictions. Keep an eye out in our Marketplace and don't forget you can add a keyword to have the forum system send you an email when that keyword appears in a listing.

Jeff

11-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jamarley Quote
Wales lies within the north temperate zone. It has a changeable, maritime climate and is one of the wettest countries in Europe. Welsh weather is often cloudy, wet and windy...
lol i know im welsh i grew up there, was thinking less than £500
11-11-2014, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #6

I vote for a used 16-45; here you can get one for $168 - https://www.keh.com/241816/pentax-16-45mm-f-4-smc-da-ed-al-k-mount-autofocus...ensor-dslrs-67

My logic is, you mine as well get a wide(ish) lens the can also cover the normal range at the same time. The 16-45 is sharp at almost all settings and the image quality will be better than many competing zooms. It's also cheaper and lighter than the f2.8 zooms.

My honorable mentions are a used 18-55 or for a prime, the plastic DA 35. 35 is a good focal length for landscapes. Most landscapes are taken in the 25-35mm range on a crop sensor. Many people think they need a wide angle, like 15 or 18mm but often that's not best for landscape photos.
11-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you don't typically have a need for a wider lens, rather than buy a cheap one, borrow or rent a nice one. I don't know who does rentals in the UK, but in the US, you can rent a 15mm ltd for a week for about $30 (maybe 50 with shipping). If you're not accustomed to using a wide angle lens, I dunno if I'd go any wider than that for landscapes. Indoor shots are a bit more forgiving (less chance of 1/3 of the image being parking lot).

But any lens can do landscapes. Just depends where you're standing. (IIRC Adam said in a thread somewhere that his favorite landscape lens was an 85mm). A wide angle can "get it all in" but that often means "get it all in really small and far away looking which makes it rather uninteresting, and oh, you stood with one foot forward, so you're going to need to crop the tip of your toe out of the shot"

Definitely second a good tripod and a remote. Also make sure you have a polarizing filter, and ideally some Neutral Density filter options (either a set or a variable one like the one PF just reviewed on the homepage). The sun does sometimes come out in wales and you don't want to end up with washed out details.

11-11-2014, 11:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Or you can use your 50 and do a stitched panorama with a program like...

Microsoft Research Image Composite Editor (ICE)

Works great and it's FREE!

I suggest you practice using it before you go just to get the hang of how things fit together.

Cheers... M
With a single focal length, you are really restricted, especially when you don't know the lay of the land.
Also, with landscapes, often you don't want to stretch things out widthwise, you may want more perception of depth and that is often lost when you use a telephoto, such as a 50mm on a APS-C. Telephotos flatten and compress, and stitching won't help with that.

Regardless, both options are open with a zoom.
11-11-2014, 11:40 AM   #9
Pentaxian

having studied in wales, i know the weather might turn on you from one minute to the next. so a WR lens would be a good idea. the 18-135 is ideal in that situation. if u dont need WR, then i would go for the 15mm ltd
11-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #10
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How wide? How much of a budget? The 18-55 WR gives you the width, and weather resistance, but isn't the sharpest lens. A DA 35/2.4 or F35-70 gets you wider than 50, but still not wide - the DA is an inexpensive new lens, the F35-70 a very inexpensive second hand lens. If you are willing to get away from autofocus, the options open up with a range of 28 mm lenses available on the used market.
11-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The DA 21 is another good landscape option. Cheaper than the DA 15 and maybe a bit easier to get the hang of shooting at 21mm rather than 15mm.
11-11-2014, 11:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I find in landscapes 16mm is very useful increase from 18mm. The only issue with a 16-45 is the barrel wobble that you get at the longest extension. Other wise its super sharp, cheap, useful range, and good colors. If not just shoot with the kit lens at F8 and you will get pretty good images. A sigma or tamron 17-50mm are other reasonable priced options.
11-11-2014, 12:46 PM   #13

II would try and get a 15mm limited. I just love that lens. even if you have to get it second hand.
11-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cybertaff Quote
lol i know im welsh i grew up there, was thinking less than £500
With that budget I think you could do far worse than the 18-135. For some wonderful examples of this very versatile lens take a look at this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/179869-da-1...at-can-do.html
11-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #15
Forum Member

If you have never taken a landscape photo, in your place I wouldn't buy anything dedicated. I mean, the weekend passes, and you are left with a lens that you never use? I'd just use the kit lens, with a tripod. Or, as someone already suggested, the 18-135mm, which is also weather resistant.