Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2014, 06:14 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentacon Six lenses on a digital small sensor body

I´m hinking of buing a volna 3 or a Biometar 80/2.8 and adopt to my Pentax K-5. They can easily be found very cheap in Europe where I live.
Only thing i think about is if the best hing is to have 'Pentacon 6 to M42 adapter or a Pentacon 6 to PK-adapter.

The think i like with M42 is to shoot in AV-mode and I tend mostly to shoot wide open or stopped down one or two notches and then the viewfinder is bright enough to shoot this way. I guess if I buy a Pentacon 6 to K-adapter I will probably have to press the green button all the time as a PK-manual??

If i understand it correctly sharpness and abboration would be good. I wood just use the center bit of the lens due to a smaller sensor but the FOV would be different off course.
Also i would need a little middle ring to put the lens to the correct sensor distance?

Found the distance to be 74.1

Last edited by Cloapex; 11-12-2014 at 06:38 AM.
11-12-2014, 06:53 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cloapex Quote
I´m hinking of buing a volna 3 or a Biometar 80/2.8 and adopt to my Pentax K-5. They can easily be found very cheap in Europe where I live.
Only thing i think about is if the best hing is to have 'Pentacon 6 to M42 adapter or a Pentacon 6 to PK-adapter.

The think i like with M42 is to shoot in AV-mode and I tend mostly to shoot wide open or stopped down one or two notches and then the viewfinder is bright enough to shoot this way. I guess if I buy a Pentacon 6 to K-adapter I will probably have to press the green button all the time as a PK-manual??

If i understand it correctly sharpness and abboration would be good. I wood just use the center bit of the lens due to a smaller sensor but the FOV would be different off course.
Also i would need a little middle ring to put the lens to the correct sensor distance?

Found the distance to be 74.1
There is not aperture actuator on the adapter, so the K-mount adapter will work the same way as the M42 adapter.

There is no need to adjust the sensor distance, that is what the adapter does. The lens will have the same field of view as any other 80mm lens on APS-C.
11-12-2014, 06:58 AM   #3

Original Poster
Great! Anyone tested? Favourite Pentacon 6/Kiev lenses?
11-12-2014, 07:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I own a "Pentacon six to PK" tilt adapter and I owned a VOLNA III 80mm/2.8.
It is an interesting setup, I mainly performed tilt shot using it.
I sold the lens a few months ago because I don't need it anymore (I now own an APO Rodagon 90mm f/4 and a Zoerk MFS so it is a better tilt setup), I still have the adapter and plan to buy a wider Pentacon six lens (45mm maybe).

Interesting link: Pentacon Six mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

11-12-2014, 07:26 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cloapex Quote
Yes, the FOV will be smaller with the smaller sensor - but no, you will actually NOT only be using the center bit of the lens. You will still be using the entire lens front which you may "realize" if you draw a parallel bundle of light rays that focuses on the sensor. All rays entering into the lens will actually reach the sensor.

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
There is not aperture actuator on the adapter, so the K-mount adapter will work the same way as the M42 adapter.
Which actually means that with this setup one can use the camera in Av-mode - right?
11-12-2014, 07:35 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
Which actually means that with this setup one can use the camera in Av-mode - right?
Yes. The lens stops down when you turn the aperture ring. Just like an M42 lens set to M. The Exif will say M42 or no lens.
11-12-2014, 10:33 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

This is possible to do, much as it is possible to mount Pentax 645 and Pentax 67 lenses on K-mount. I would caution that there may be some disappointment in regards to image quality. Images from medium and large format lenses often suffer when subjected to a significant crop and APS-C is a significant crop.

Steve

11-12-2014, 02:02 PM   #9
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a beat-up Biometar 80/2.8, and it works very well with a PK-adapter. Quite nice at 2.8, very sharp at 5.6. It's not a small lens, though...
11-13-2014, 05:52 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I had (technically still have ) Biometar 80/2.8 until I tried to 'fix' it so now there it is in pieces in its own box. I took a number of photos with it and was very pleased with the IQ. The only one I have put up is this one; slight blur is because of my/subject movement, when used properly this lens is very sharp.
I'd get another one, but by not doing so maybe I force myself to assemble it eventually. If dcshooter was in Europe, I'd send it to him if just to put it back in one piece.