Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

My DA 35mm Macro Limited Review

My review of the DA 35mm Macro Limited lens was just published over at DigitalCameraReview.com. Most of you already know that this lens is simply fantastic, but anyone who is still debating the purchase of this lens might want to take a look.

Pentax DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited Lens Review

05-19-2008, 09:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice review, matches my own experience.
05-19-2008, 10:40 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
My review of the DA 35mm Macro Limited lens was just published over at DigitalCameraReview.com. Most of you already know that this lens is simply fantastic, but anyone who is still debating the purchase of this lens might want to take a look.

Pentax DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited Lens Review
Hi, very interesting review. I have a question for you: I own FA35 f2, do you think it is worthy to buy DA35?? I am happy with FA35 but I think maybe DA35 would fit best for digital cameras like my K10d. What do you think about it? Should I sell my FA35 and buy DA35 or just keep both or maybe I wont see much difference between them apart from the "macro"?

Thanks.
05-19-2008, 11:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cooldude14es Quote
Hi, very interesting review. I have a question for you: I own FA35 f2, do you think it is worthy to buy DA35?? I am happy with FA35 but I think maybe DA35 would fit best for digital cameras like my K10d. What do you think about it? Should I sell my FA35 and buy DA35 or just keep both or maybe I wont see much difference between them apart from the "macro"?

Thanks.
It really depends on you. There are a couple of things that make the DA35 attractive even if you have the FA35:

-- Quickshift manual focus
-- Better edge sharpness (even wide open)
-- Macro ability

There are also a couple of reasons to consider keeping the FA35:

-- Faster AF when "hunting" in low light (because the lens doesn't have to travel from 0.456 inches to infinity for focus)
-- Slighty faster aperture (f/2 vs f/2.8) for low light photography

In short, I think the DA35 is a good purchase if you find that you wish your FA35 could focus closer and/or if you often find yourself using manual focus.

I'm in something of a similar situation myself. I have the excellent DA40 Limited and I'm debating whether to purchase this DA35 Macro Limited. I have a longer dedicated macro lens and good closeup filters/lenses so I don't "need" the DA35 ... but I'm still very tempted to get it.

The DA35 is great because you can use it either as a general use "normal" lens or as an on-the-spot macro lens. However, because it's a dedicated macro lens sometimes it takes longer to focus than a lens like the FA35 or DA40 because the lens has to "rack the focus" over an extreme focus range.

05-19-2008, 11:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Use the Auto focusing to get close to correct, then quickly tweek with focus shift.
If the AF can't get you close on the DA35, then it'll probably be time consuming to get properly focused using the FA35 also.

Nice review.
05-19-2008, 12:02 PM   #6

I understand and agree with you. I was also thinking about buying DA40 but since I own FA35 it is hard to decide if I should buy DA40 or DA35. In fact it is a focal range which I enjoy using so it could be really interesting having all them but I think that I have to choose.

Thanks.
05-19-2008, 12:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I guess I have to say it's nice having an abundance of very good options...

I think you need to pick one up in a store, or borrow one perhaps.

I have the DA35, and like it a lot in terms of construction, built in hood, flexibility etc. It's certainly sharp too. Does it have magic rendering, not sure I can say... Ownership has a lot of feel good factor about it though.
Perhaps I should send my copy to Photozone for comparison against the 40mm limited...
05-19-2008, 12:18 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Very good review, jjjphoto. I agree with all your points.

The DA 35ltd macro is a great bargain if you don't already have a D-normal (31-40) lens - it gets you an extremely sharp normal lens, and a very high quality 1-1 short macro - all in one $500 lens.

If you already have a D-normal length, it becomes a more difficult decision/justification

05-19-2008, 12:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Looks like Ben has the FA 35mm and wants the 35mm Macro from what I read Wonder what his thoughts are about it.

does anyone have both currently?
05-19-2008, 01:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Okami Quote
Looks like Ben has the FA 35mm and wants the 35mm Macro from what I read Wonder what his thoughts are about it.

does anyone have both currently?
I used to have both, but no longer (see my post above comparing the strengths and weaknesses of these lenses in relation to one another).

As others have said, the DA35 Macro Limited isn't as much of a "must have" purchase if you already have a FA35, FA43 or DA40, but there are still some valid reasons to purchase it even if you have one of these other lenses.

Bottom line, the DA35 is an awesome lens but some people can justify this lens and other people are better off with one of the other lenses in this range. It ultimately boils down to what your personal photographic needs are and what lenses you already have in your kit.
05-19-2008, 01:33 PM   #11
Syb
Site Supporter

I have purchased this lens just a few days ago. Since it's on, it has not been off my camera yet.

I like your review, and recognize most of your comments.
05-19-2008, 06:34 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would highly recommend the lens. Quality construction, great optics, quick shift focus and delivers great images. If you want a limited lens somewhere in this focal range give it some consideration.