Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2014, 06:48 AM   #1

D-FA 100mm WR or non-WR

I may be buying the D-FA 100mm macro for macro and some portraits. I never did macro work but I imagine WR is not really necessary in macro. So should I pay the 100$ difference just for WR?

11-14-2014, 06:51 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i have the non wr lens...there are days that i wish i could go out when it it spitting weather wise and try to get raindops on flowers, etc but won't with mine...otherwise i am very happy with it...if you are not going to try to take pictures in the rain then you probably don't need it
11-14-2014, 08:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The WR also has rounded aperture blades and by all accounts a more solid feel to it. It lacks the aperture ring though (for use on old film bodies or with cheap extension tubes).

I have the non-WR version and I might be tempted to trade it +$100 for a WR one. It'd be a close call though.
11-14-2014, 08:37 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Put me down as having the non-WR lens and wishing I could upgrade to the WR version. I've rented the WR version and it is clearly superior in bokeh and image quality IMHO.

11-14-2014, 09:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Put me down as having the non-WR lens and wishing I could upgrade to the WR version. I've rented the WR version and it is clearly superior in bokeh and image quality IMHO.
You didn't happen to do any side by side comparisons did you? Specifically I'd be interested in seeing how much of an impact the curved blades have on out of focus highlights (lights off in the distance, sparkles on water, that sort of thing).
11-14-2014, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As I only rented it for a few days, I really didn't have time to do that. I have (some time ago, and I don't remember where) seen side by sides and the rounded blades are clearly superior for bokeh. That and the WR body are IMHO, the reasons to want the WR version over the non-WR version.
11-14-2014, 09:37 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
For the WR version you can find cheap teleconverters with contacts for aperture control ($25ish on ebay) to use as extension tubes. Just have to remove the glass.
11-14-2014, 09:59 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I have the WR lens, and previously the non-WR version.

Both are superb lenses, but the WR version feels like a Ltd - nice solid feel and heft.

Rounded aperture blades give a slightly less 'edgy' bokeh, and of course being WR it is better protected from whatever environment you're working in.

11-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I don't have the non WR version, but the WR version is absolutely fantastic lens. Extremely sharp at F/4, beautiful bokeh and just wonderful rendering, I can't emphasize that enough.

Also, on K3 focuses much faster than previous bodies, so it can really be used a portrait lens.
11-14-2014, 10:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Both are superb lenses, but the WR version feels like a Ltd - nice solid feel and heft.

Rounded aperture blades give a slightly less 'edgy' bokeh, and of course being WR it is better protected from whatever environment you're working in.
I have had both in the past and would agree with this assessment. The non-WR would have to be substantially cheaper for me to even consider it, were I in your shoes. I regard the WR version as one of Pentax's unique gems.
11-14-2014, 11:02 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the Viv S1 105 macro and had an opportunity to shoot with someone else's 100WR. Loved the bokeh from the rounded blades and the weather sealing. I keep telling myself I don't need it, but it doesn't help, I stll really want it.
11-14-2014, 11:08 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks guys for the feedback. If I can find a good deal on Black Friday, I'll definitely go for the WR version (money is a big concern here)
11-14-2014, 11:29 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The WR version is selling for $532 on eBay right now shipping from Japan. You can take a look at the Pentax Lens Archives to make comparisons on image quality between the old and new versions. I myself could not detect any differences. I purchased the 100 f2.8 WR version recently, but have not used it much since it's cold up here in Minnesota. Maybe tomorrow I will go out and take pictures of frozen tree branches or something.

All I can say is that the WR lens feels solid and very well built. At first the Manual focusing was a little jerky, but after a few turns it is smooth as butter. The lens(non-extended) is about 3 inches which is pretty compact for a Macro. The lens extends an additional 2.5 inches from the frame when focusing close-up, but unlike the Pentax 60-250 the extension does not take the hood with it. If you put the hood on, you never see the lens extension which is good.
11-14-2014, 11:35 AM   #14
Pentaxian

The WR has a smaller size, better build, rounded apertures, metal casing, WR, smaller filters, tighter tolerances, quick-shift

I did not own the DFA 100 but did own the FA50 and do own the DFA 100 WR. Both are nice, but clearly the 100 WR is the best tool. However it's easier to make good macros of non-moving subjects with a 50.
11-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The WR has a smaller size, better build, rounded apertures, metal casing, WR, smaller filters, tighter tolerances, quick-shift

I did not own the DFA 100 but did own the FA50 and do own the DFA 100 WR. Both are nice, but clearly the 100 WR is the best tool. However it's easier to make good macros of non-moving subjects with a 50.
"However it's easier to make good macros of non-moving subjects with a 50."

I would think so since the 50 is actually the equivalent of an 80mm on a cropped camera. The greater the magnification the harder it is to keep the camera steady.