Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2014, 07:07 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
One of the problems I forsee with using the 10mm lens is that it's not autofocus and focusing such a wide-angle lens in the dark is going to be a challenge. If you have focus peaking on your camera (K-30 or K-3, for instance), then that helps a lot. I'm sure many will scream "Live view + magnification!" but this can easily fail for night photography. The monitor will automatically amplify the signal it receives, leading to two issues:
1) Noise on screen becomes incredibly large, obscuring the image so much that you can no longer tell what's in focus
2) The camera's attempts to overcome the blackness will make the lights so bright that you won't be able to tell if they're in focus. As a result, the only points you could use for focus become detail-less balls of light.

The ultra-wide nature of the lens does help with focus (as hyperfocus is achieved rather quickly) but you're pretty much shooting blind, as what you see will be rather small. Cranking to infinity can work, except some lenses do focus "past infinity." I have that issue with the DA*300 and the moon; simply cranking it all the way results in blurry, out of focus images. The correct focus point is just a smidgen short of the farthest setting.
Live view with magnification works pretty well at night with the K-3, with the K-5iis it was almost unusable. That's one of the unexpected benefits I got from the K-3.

11-16-2014, 07:17 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Stitching programs have some intelligence about movement, because it happens often enough. You may have to try alternate programs to get the right assembly.

Photoshop CS5 did well with this one. I took 17 shots with the DA 50-200 as the ship sailed by. This is one series which needed a lens correction preset to stitch correctly. I was just seeing if it would work.
A moving ship!? Impressive.
11-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To the comment about white balance "not mattering when shooting RAW" - the problem is that your post processing software will read the white balance settting - which changes between shots - and "correct" them. A couple of clicks, and you don't need to worry about it.
11-17-2014, 03:53 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
To the comment about white balance "not mattering when shooting RAW" - the problem is that your post processing software will read the white balance settting - which changes between shots - and "correct" them. A couple of clicks, and you don't need to worry about it.
Do the white balance for one photo in Lightroom, then select the others and use synchronize. You might want to do that to get rid of things like sharpening anyway.