Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2014, 08:19 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens Information/Data References

Over the years I have accumulated a list of reference links and bookmarks for lenses. So, I thought I would put together a post with them. I am sure that there are more. These are just the ones that I have found helpful from time to time and bookmarked.

The first one, mainly for completeness is the lens database here on the forum - both the Pentax and the Third-Party databases.This list is not absolutely extensive across all known sources, some of the links and sites may be a tad old, stale, dated or dormant, but they do contain information that might not be available on other sites although a lot of the information is repetitive. The order is somewhat random. The contents of the sites varies a lot. The most extensive and up to date is the forum database and Bojidar Dimitrov's. Also, check out PhotoPentax for just the sheer number of lenses and vendors who support(ed) the Pentax M42 and K mount. YMMV....

Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Pages provides a complete listing of Pentax lens, optical engineering information. The entire site covers everything Pentax - bodies, lenses, accessories, background, information of Pentax's AutoFocus system, etc.Stan's Pentax Photography Site is a bit dated, but was one of the original lens review sites. The listings contain a very good collection of early comments on Pentax lenses. You have to remember that this site started back in 1999 - at the end of the bulletin board era. PhotoPentax - For the sheer number of M42 and K mount lenses across all vendors, you really can not dismiss this site. Its current count and inventory stands at 6,081 lenses across 376 brands. Its also current to July 2014 (last update). Something happened to the site - so, I have updated it with a link to its last capture by the wayback machine (Feb 2015).PhotoZone maintains a Lens Performance Database. You can submit data, or you can query across a number of parameters.SLRgear has a lens review site. It has not really kept up with the times, but it can be useful...PBase has a image library collection sorted by camera model (digital and film) along with lenses. It has been kept up to date to an extent. This coupled with the Forums lens clubs might be an approach.DCViews provides a database in table form containing a number of useful parameters. Its dated, but useful for the older lenses.Antique & Classic Cameras - is again an aging list of information on the older lenses, along with some of the original datasheets. It also supports a wide range of other camera makes.Camerapedia has an extensive listing of manufacturers of M42 and K mount lenses - not a lot of information other than the designation and it exists.Early PENTAX TAKUMAR Lenses - is a pretty complete reference for the early Takumar lenses extracted from the Asahi Optical Historical Club. Lens designs and other data that may not be available elsewhere - well other than Bojidar Dimitrov's siteAllPhotoLenses - has a pretty current collection across all lenses makes and mountsPentax Takumar lenses M42 - A list compiled by Peter Jonkman, who I believe is active here on the forum.

Last edited by interested_observer; 06-05-2015 at 11:57 AM.
11-15-2014, 08:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thank you for putting all of this together... one resource I can add, guess most people already know it is Pixel Peeper (lots of samples for various lens).
11-15-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
AllPhotoLenses - has a pretty current collection across all lenses makes and mounts
Thanks for putting this together.

AllPhotoLenses also has a K-mount site:

Catalog of Pentax K lenses

But it's weird.

For example, separately, they have the Samyang 14/2.8 Aspherical
as Bower, Polar, Falcon, Walimex, Bell & Howell, and Rokinon,
all with different * ratings.
11-15-2014, 09:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well done, a useful resource!