Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2014, 10:32 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I made Comparison of several lenses on 50mm

For a while I'm thinking about buying new DA 50/1.8. I dont know if I need one - so I just done one test.
Controlled light, tripod, ISO 100, same manual exposure, manual WB and six lenses that have 50mm FL. I made comparison charts, in full resolution are available on flickr. First picture is the scene (Olympus OM at f4), second is crop near the center and third is crop near the edge. It is absolutely without post proces. Only developed from RAW in ACR (set sharpening, contrast etc to 0).

Competitors are:
Pentacon 50/1.8 MC
Adapted Olympus OM 50/1.8 MC
DA* 50-135
DA 50-200 WR
DAL 18-55
DA 18-135 WR

My observations:
Olympus 50 is clearly best at any given aperture. It can be seen in center, but near edges it is more pronounced.
Second place shares Pentacon with DA*. Star is sharper in center, but Pentacon (is FF) near edges.
From other zooms is CENTER winner 18-135 and EDGE winner is kit DAL 18-55, I think.

So if I will finally decide to buy new DA50/1.8, I hope that will be on par with Olympus or better...

11-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very interesting work!
Although it's difficult to get unequivocal information from such tests, esp. regarding vignetting because of different transmittance of different lenses (and the lack of the full images).
I have the impression that the Olympus and DA* picture crops are much darker at f/1.8 and at f/2.8 than the Pentacon, for instance.
Olympus looks mighty good... how did you adapt it? Did you use an adapter or did a "Franken-lens" mount swapping job? Does the adapter have glass inside?
11-16-2014, 10:59 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the comparison
11-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
You are right. But I didn't care about vigneting in digital days. It is so easy to correct it in PP. If anyone want, I can upload whole images... In terms of T-stops, I noticed, that both primes have it probably better, than zooms - so, nothing new)

I adapted OM (but it is reversible). It is in this post:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/34323-zuiko-lens-club-3.html#post2869848

But only 50 is so easy to adapt...

11-16-2014, 11:07 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jannis Quote
Olympus 50 is clearly best at any given aperture.
This would not be unexpected. As noted above, I am curious about how the Zuiko was adapted. Saw your later comment after I posted.

Steve

---------- Post added 11-16-14 at 10:15 AM ----------

I hope that will be on par with Olympus or better...
I think you will find "different" to be an appropriate term. The DA 50/1.8 will be in the same league as far as sharpness, but will have its own flavor in other areas.

Steve
11-16-2014, 11:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You are right. But I didn't care about vigneting in digital days. It is so easy to correct it in PP. If anyone want, I can upload whole images... In terms of T-stops, I noticed, that both primes have it probably better, than zooms - so, nothing new)

I adapted OM (but it is reversible). It is in this post:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/34323-zuiko-lens-club-3.html#post2869848

But only 50 is so easy to adapt...
Interesting.
Thanks for the added info.
11-16-2014, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I think you will find "different" to be an appropriate term.
Different is ok. I'm affraid that i I say: "Oh no, this AF50 is so worse than my decades older glass - so I will use the old one anyway" I hope, not...

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Did you use an adapter or did a "Franken-lens" mount swapping job? Does the adapter have glass inside?
I take a couple of snapshot of my "adapted" olympus lens.

11-17-2014, 10:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Different is ok. I'm affraid that i I say: "Oh no, this AF50 is so worse than my decades older glass - so I will use the old one anyway" I hope, not...

I take a couple of snapshot of my "adapted" olympus lens.

A neat job indeed!
11-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Thx man. Great comparison
11-17-2014, 01:46 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Great comparison. Too bad you didn't have a cheap M 50 1.7 to add to the results, I find it a great benchmark.
11-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Great comparison. Too bad you didn't have a cheap M 50 1.7 to add to the results, I find it a great benchmark.
It's "the" benchmark... how many of those were produced anyway? looks like everyone I know has one...
11-17-2014, 08:23 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
It's "the" benchmark...
In more ways than one. At the time it was made, very few fast 50s were better and none at the same price point.

Steve