Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2014, 09:30 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Do you have any problems with mirror flopping? that is a persistent issue for me with all (conducting) k mounts without an aperture lever eg plated rimmed M42 adapters
No, never have any problem. The Porst 55/f1.2 is a k mount and I also have a Yashinon 50/f1.4 (m42 mount) without A/M switch modified to M mode using m42 adapter of course. The advantage of modifying k-mount without aperture lever is that you don't need m42 adapter, otherwise it works the same way using stop down metering.

Last edited by aleonx3; 11-18-2014 at 10:18 AM.
11-18-2014, 01:12 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I'm surprised there wasn't much whining about the "crippled mount" in modern Pentax DSLRs.
11-18-2014, 01:41 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
And if you ever do manage to convert a manual lens to autofocus, please let me know because that would be the coolest lens hack ever.
SMC Pentax-F 1.7x AF Adapter?
11-18-2014, 03:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Is the fraction of a second that it takes to press the green button really so onerous that you want to start butchering classic lenses to avoid it? You know, you only have to press the green button once. Just once, and then you can keep shooting at that same exposure until the light changes.

Why would you want the hassle of inconsistent exposures from shot-to-shot with the lens in AV mode, when you can just set the correct exposure with the green button and leave it there?
If the light is not changing, then I agree. I shot a concert almost entirely with a SMC K135/2.5 by chimping a few shots to get the right exposure, and leaving it there for the whole performance. I got much better results than the few shots where I used an automatic lens and the camera indicated exposure for performers lit on stage with shadows behind them.

11-18-2014, 09:35 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
If the light is not changing, then I agree. I shot a concert almost entirely with a SMC K135/2.5 by chimping a few shots to get the right exposure, and leaving it there for the whole performance. I got much better results than the few shots where I used an automatic lens and the camera indicated exposure for performers lit on stage with shadows behind them.
Absolutely! A few years ago I was documenting a lecture series where the stage was a mix of light and dark objects, but the stage lighting was consistent. I metered the stage in advance left in it M mode and shot away with each exposure perfectly exposed regardless of how many people were on stage and the color/brightness of their clothing.

Back at the dawn of time that was the normal flow for stop-down metering.

Steve
11-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Absolutely! A few years ago I was documenting a lecture series where the stage was a mix of light and dark objects, but the stage lighting was consistent. I metered the stage in advance left in it M mode and shot away with each exposure perfectly exposed regardless of how many people were on stage and the color/brightness of their clothing.

Back at the dawn of time that was the normal flow for stop-down metering.

Steve
On some of my lenses that don't meter very accurately on Av, like my Tamron 70-300, I shoot in full manual mode with stop down metering first, then chimping at the histogram to check the exposure. Then I'll shoot away, paying attention to see if the light is changing. I'm actually a bit surprised that the green button works on lenses like this, but it does, and I'm glad - but I don't think it actually stops the lens down, it just meters against whatever I point the lens to.
11-21-2014, 02:30 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I'm surprised there wasn't much whining about the "crippled mount" in modern Pentax DSLRs.
There was a ton of it. Especially after they dropped TTL flash support as well