Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2008, 10:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 1.4 tc or Kenko 1.5

It doesn't look like I will be able to find the Tamron tc that some are raving about so it is between the sigma or the kenko. I don't mind spending the money for the sigma which cost twice as much if the IQ is that much better. But if the kenko does the job why pay more. I just spent a bit of money on a good lens and I will be using the converter quit often. I need to make this decision soon please help.

05-20-2008, 06:34 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I don't have either, but would like to know if anyone has compared the two?
05-20-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bikee4 Quote
I don't have either, but would like to know if anyone has compared the two?
Tried both... mixed results - some fantastic images (given the distance) with the Sigma 500/4.5. A lot of soft ones too. Some good luck with the Kenko as well - in bright daylight, pretty good results.

Disclaimer: I've always had mixed results with TC's, since I am often putting them into low light, etc. situations, which are NEVER ideal. I plan to sell my Kenko, since I don't need it. I use a Tamron 1.4x, but not that often, so one has to go.

Cheers,
Marc
05-21-2008, 04:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Bear in mind that the Sigma has a protruding front element that will not let you mount it on most lenses, while the Kenko can be mounted on any lens.

05-21-2008, 05:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
It doesn't look like I will be able to find the Tamron tc that some are raving about so it is between the sigma or the kenko. I don't mind spending the money for the sigma which cost twice as much if the IQ is that much better. But if the kenko does the job why pay more. I just spent a bit of money on a good lens and I will be using the converter quit often. I need to make this decision soon please help.
Like Miserere said, you have to be careful what lens you would use the Sigma on. As far as the Kenko goes I have one and it does a decent job. Like with any TC it all depends on the glass your using to begin with. You use mediocre lenses you'll get less then mediocre results, great lenses will give good results etc.

There is a very long thread here about the Tamron TC with examples of the Kenko if you do a quick search. Here are a couple of examples (the other thread has more). All taken with the Tokina AT-X 400mm f/5.6 plus Kenko TC

Hope that helps

John

Pentax K10D ,Tokina 400mm f/5.6 AT-X
1/500s f/6.7 at 600.0mm iso400 (with 1.5x TC)

Pentax K10D ,Tokina 400mm f/5.6 AT-X
1/500s f/8.0 at 400.0mm iso400 (with Kenko 1.5x TC)
05-21-2008, 07:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks palmor, I was watching the thread but I never really seen the sigma compared to the kenko unless I missed it. So that was the reason for the sort of redundancy. Sorry
I need one for the sigma 100-300 f/4 and I think I am going with the kenko since I don't see anybody raving about the sigma which is spendy comparitively.
05-21-2008, 07:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
Thanks palmor, I was watching the thread but I never really seen the sigma compared to the kenko unless I missed it. So that was the reason for the sort of redundancy. Sorry
I need one for the sigma 100-300 f/4 and I think I am going with the kenko since I don't see anybody raving about the sigma which is spendy comparitively.
If your going to match it up with the 100-300 f/4 exclusively personally I'd go with the Sigma. Their TC's are designed to be matched with their lenses and I'd guess would give better results. I use the Sigma 2xTC with the 70-200 f/2.8 and the results are pretty remarkable for a 2xTC.

I guess you could always order both and return one after a little bit of testing.

John
08-14-2008, 09:25 PM   #8

OrenMC,

Did you go with the Kenko 1.5x? What do you think?

-- Bass

08-15-2008, 03:33 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with Palmor, I have both the sigma 1.4x and 2x TC and use them with my 70-200 F2.8. As palmor said they are really intended for sigma lenses only.

see below for the 70-200 F2.8 and 2x

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/187646-post19.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/208249-post1.html
08-15-2008, 10:10 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
As palmor said they are really intended for sigma lenses only.
And from what I hear, they are actually incompatible - in the sense of physically not fitting because the distance from mount to glass - with some other lenses.
08-15-2008, 11:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Several months ago when the Tamron TC thread began I purchased one, and compared it with a Kenko TC I already owned. I wound up returning the Tamron because I really couldn't see any significant difference in the performance of the two. (I'm speaking here in terms of IQ as well as AF function in low light conditions.) In fact, I thought that the Kenko was possibly a tiny bit better. I have no experience with the Sigma, but as others have pointed out it can't be used on every lens in your arsenal, although it may work just fine on your 100-300 f/4. The Sigma web site should tell you if the 100-300 will accept their TC. Furthermore, if you order from a reputable firm such as B&H you can purchase both, run your own tests, and then return the one you like least.

CN
08-15-2008, 09:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

One thing to note on the Sigma compatibility chart is that those aren't the only lenses it physically fits on, but rather the ones it fully works with. It fits on the 70-300, but has some substantial AF limitations.
08-16-2008, 05:01 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
And from what I hear, they are actually incompatible - in the sense of physically not fitting because the distance from mount to glass - with some other lenses.
exactly, it has to do with the design of the TC that has the front element almost sticking into the rear of the lens. There is, on the sigma site, a listing of the sigma lenses they are intended to be used on, and in the sheet that comes with the TC, a list of other lenses as well.

this does include some long Pentax lenses also, with emphesis on long. These TCs are not intended to be used on short lenses as a low cost replacement for a zoom
08-16-2008, 06:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
bass sears,

I went with the Sigma but I have no comparison. If your asking about the Kenko it looks like a lot of people recommend it. The price of the Tamron is insane as is the Pentax 1.7X and I don't think the quality warrants it.
Hinman posted a few photos from the promaster 1.7x that might be something to look at.
I actually am still contemplating getting another one since the sigma is not compatible with everything. Plus I had a little bad luck with the purchase.

Good luck