Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2014, 11:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
luftfluss's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,547
DA21 Ltd and Super-Tak 24/3.5 - anyone interested in a comparison?

I have both lenses and plan to compare them and post a few of the usual types of shots... but I'm wondering if anyone would like me to make any specific comparisons?

Basically, I'm posting this to take requests. I have a hood on the way for the Tak, it should be here in a day or two.

11-17-2014, 11:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 688
I'd like that. It will be interesting to see what you find.

I did a comparison of the SMC Tak 24/3.5 vs. Samyang 24/1.4 vs Pentax Limited/3.2 vs Vivitar 19/3.8 vs Vivitar 21/3.8.

I did all my tests at ISO 80 on my K5 at every aperture focused at five feet and infinity, even tone/lighting and high contrast, checking edge and center.

At every ap, in each of the four scenes, Vivitar 21/3.8 and the Vivitar 19/3.8 alternated the bottom spots for sharpness. Those lenses are at the back of the bottom shelf of my camera cabinet. They provide ballast for the cabinet. The best at every test was the Samyang 24/1.4 . It is huge and heavy. I rarely use it. The two Pentax lenses were much closer to the Samyang than the Vivitars. They were close to each other, with the Limited almost always besting the Tak. I did not check for distortion and I did not see much CA.

I almost always take the Limited over the others. It has AF over MF. It is slightly wider. It is the smallest. Its IQ is pretty good.

I thought about getting a 20mm Tak to test also, but I declined for two reasons. I have the five prime and two zoom lenses in that FL range. I still remember the 20m Tak derisively called the "bow-wow" lens.
11-18-2014, 01:16 AM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sydney
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 767
I have the K24 3.5 which I think has the same lens formula as the Supertak and the only difference is the mount. Is this right? I bought it at a good price and meant I couldn't really justify the 21 Ltd when I was tempted in the last throes of LBA. The 21 seems, at least in this forum, to be considered a weak link in the ltd range because of distortion and CA. Maybe these elements can be part of your comparison. If the 21 is that much better than the 24 maybe I don't want to hear it. Especially just before Xmas. Otherwise I'll have to tell the kids they've been bad all year and Daddy has been just so good.
11-18-2014, 01:27 AM - 1 Like   #4
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,767
I should be getting an FA*24/2.0 in the mail any day now. I will certainly be comparing it to my DA21, so expect another series here.

11-18-2014, 02:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian
robjmitchell's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne Aus
Posts: 1,760
HD 21 has less CA by the way (according to DXO mark)
11-18-2014, 03:32 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Dartmoor Dave's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dartmoor, UK
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,659
The 24mm/3.5 is one of my favourite Takumars and I'm looking forward to seeing the comparison with the DA21. But please. . . PLEASE. . . include a couple of uncropped shots showing how the lenses render colour and light in real-world conditions. I'm not at all interested in 100% crops of corner sharpness wide open, because it's not what either of those lenses is designed to achieve.
11-18-2014, 09:28 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
luftfluss's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,547
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
I'd like that. It will be interesting to see what you find.

I did a comparison of the SMC Tak 24/3.5 vs. Samyang 24/1.4 vs Pentax Limited/3.2 vs Vivitar 19/3.8 vs Vivitar 21/3.8.

I did all my tests at ISO 80 on my K5 at every aperture focused at five feet and infinity, even tone/lighting and high contrast, checking edge and center.

At every ap, in each of the four scenes, Vivitar 21/3.8 and the Vivitar 19/3.8 alternated the bottom spots for sharpness. Those lenses are at the back of the bottom shelf of my camera cabinet. They provide ballast for the cabinet. The best at every test was the Samyang 24/1.4 . It is huge and heavy. I rarely use it. The two Pentax lenses were much closer to the Samyang than the Vivitars. They were close to each other, with the Limited almost always besting the Tak. I did not check for distortion and I did not see much CA.

I almost always take the Limited over the others. It has AF over MF. It is slightly wider. It is the smallest. Its IQ is pretty good.

I thought about getting a 20mm Tak to test also, but I declined for two reasons. I have the five prime and two zoom lenses in that FL range. I still remember the 20m Tak derisively called the "bow-wow" lens.
QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
I have the K24 3.5 which I think has the same lens formula as the Supertak and the only difference is the mount. Is this right? I bought it at a good price and meant I couldn't really justify the 21 Ltd when I was tempted in the last throes of LBA. The 21 seems, at least in this forum, to be considered a weak link in the ltd range because of distortion and CA. Maybe these elements can be part of your comparison. If the 21 is that much better than the 24 maybe I don't want to hear it. Especially just before Xmas. Otherwise I'll have to tell the kids they've been bad all year and Daddy has been just so good.
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I should be getting an FA*24/2.0 in the mail any day now. I will certainly be comparing it to my DA21, so expect another series here.
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
I have the tak 24 and the vivitar 20 (which I think is the same as the 19)

I like them both for different reasons. The tak has really nice rendering and is a pleasure to use on my k-01.

The vivitar can focus pretty closely and has great bokeh for flower shots but IMHO is absolute garbage at infinity.

I would love to see a comparison. I expect the 21 will likely win but it won't be a blowout.
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
The 24mm/3.5 is one of my favourite Takumars and I'm looking forward to seeing the comparison with the DA21. But please. . . PLEASE. . . include a couple of uncropped shots showing how the lenses render colour and light in real-world conditions. I'm not at all interested in 100% crops of corner sharpness wide open, because it's not what either of those lenses is designed to achieve.
Damn, maybe we need to have the "20-24mm Lens Club"!

I'm actually on my second copy of each lens. My first DA21 was a complete mess, and my first Tak 24 had a noticeably soft left side. But I really like the rendering of both lenses, so here we are... Sometimes I am simply in the mood for the look one gets from older lenses.

When I get out to do the testing later this week, I'll upload some RAWs to Dropbox or something in addition to posting pics here.
11-25-2014, 10:31 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
luftfluss's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,547
Original Poster
Just wanted to give an update... weather, schedule and rather barren environment have delayed me, lol. I have taken a few snaps with the Tak 24/3.5, and can report that borders are very soft wide open (field curvature, I guess) but center is sharp, and things improve when stopped down a bit, which how I typically use a wide lens, anyway.

Hope to have the comparison with the DA21 - and the kit lens - within a week or so.




Last edited by luftfluss; 11-25-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
da21 ltd, k-mount, ltd and super-tak, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do I need a super tak 135/3.5? Lowell Goudge Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 21 07-14-2014 12:38 PM
SMC Tak 35/3.5 stuck in "Auto" position (Xposted in Tak thread) Jean Poitiers Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 4 04-15-2013 12:27 AM
For Sale - Sold: SMC Tak 150mm/4, SMC Tak 135mm/3.5, Super Tak 55mm/2 and extras pdxbmw Sold Items 8 09-10-2009 10:54 AM
24/3.5 Super Tak vs. 24/2.8 Sigma cameron.knight Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 11-12-2007 07:34 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:08 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top