Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2014, 06:51 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
But so is 21/43/77 - and even more compact.
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Poor man's version - 21/40/70
Funny, I was going for Larry's version (already had 21 and 40XS) until the other day when I grabbed a 43 and 77 from KEH! So now I'll have the DA40XS, the M40 and the FA43...but they're all so charming! The 40XS is just amazingly small, the M40 wins on style points IMHO, and the 43 has speed and pixie dust.

11-22-2014, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #62

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
I've been to Cinci a few times. When your 15mm arrives go up to Mt Adams and take a few streetcapes, and then wander around Eden Park. While you're up there get in a few city view shots. That'll help convince you you've made the right decision. It's a really photogenic area. You probably know that already but seeing it through 15mm will be a treat.
Thankfully I'm back home in the Chicago area again. I'll have to wander around Bucktown or Wicker Park....or maybe Oak Park, where all the Frank Lloyd Wright homes are.
11-22-2014, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
... there should be a warning...

WARNING! CLIFFSIDES ARE NEARER THAN THEY APPEAR

well, if i've learned one thing about encountering cliffs from my many saturday mornings watching the coyote and roadrunner, it's that immediately after stepping off any cliff, there is a brief moment where one remains suspended, perhaps to contemplate the erroneous choice one has made. During this moment, please consider tossing the camera with DA15 back toward terra firma, that others may get to enjoy it beyond your demise.
11-22-2014, 08:40 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
well, if i've learned one thing about encountering cliffs from my many saturday mornings watching the coyote and roadrunner, it's that immediately after stepping off any cliff, there is a brief moment where one remains suspended, perhaps to contemplate the erroneous choice one has made. During this moment, please consider tossing the camera with DA15 back toward terra firma, that others may get to enjoy it beyond your demise.
well...
http://blog.coyoteproductions.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/81657.jpg

11-22-2014, 09:02 AM   #65
Veteran Member

hands down the DA15. Im really surprised so many would choose the DA21. I'd say especially considering tye lenses you already have. I think you might find the DA21 a little redundant and you might just wind up leaving your FA31 on and taking a couple steps back. The DA15 on the other hand will truly be a focal length you're lacking and the other lenses won't come even close to. Not to mention that the DA15 is (contrary to what others have said) sharper when I had them and more flair resistant and produced better colors. I actually liked the screw cap but you can always get a pentax 49mm pinch cap to make things faster. Get the DA15, you won't regret your choice
11-22-2014, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I only have the 15 and have never used the 21. But the 15 is probably my favorite. It has paid for its self many times over.
Check out the Mind COntrol thread if you haven't. Foreground is indeed very important when using the 15.

---------- Post added 11-22-14 at 09:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
11-25-2014, 03:07 PM - 2 Likes   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would start with the DA15 as it's more of a "get me" lens. Then you can decide whether or not you need/want the DA21.

While DA15 has its flaws, it does a few things better than any other lens that I know of. For instance, shooting into the sun:

11-25-2014, 03:36 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
I would start with the DA15 as it's more of a "get me" lens. Then you can decide whether or not you need/want the DA21.

While DA15 has its flaws, it does a few things better than any other lens that I know of. For instance, shooting into the sun:

You're making my hands itch...
That's a very nice picture... since I was viewing it on a narrow monitor I got the impression that the horizon was slanted, which btw gave the picture some added dynamic...
11-25-2014, 03:49 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
That's a very nice picture...
Thank you.
11-25-2014, 09:24 PM - 2 Likes   #70

Original Poster

This photo sealed the deal for me. I placed the order. I'm looking forward to getting out and having fun with it.
I dug out a Hoya HMC circular polarizing filter that will fit which I can experiment with too.
11-25-2014, 09:28 PM   #71
Pentaxian

yea, be sure to share some pics when you get it!
11-26-2014, 10:46 AM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, great advert for the 15! Lovely shot, truly.
11-26-2014, 11:50 AM   #73
Veteran Member

I have both the 15 and 21, and I use the 15 more. The 15 has somewhat replaced a 10-24 zoom I have, so I didn't need a lot of effort to learn the lens, and I often find myself wanting wider for my landscapes. However, the 15 is not a lens I enjoy including people or buildings in too much. There is distortion, which is tough to correct when people are in the shot. The 21 however allows me to get a wider shot and include people. The 21 is also wonderful for street photography. It is a bit redundant with the 18-135, but that lens has become relegated to rainy weather and quick day trip duty.
11-27-2014, 07:10 PM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I want to thank everyone who offered their advice here - I took advantage of the current discounts and ordered the DA15. I may also order the 21 but want some time think about it some more. The current discounts are really tempting.
11-27-2014, 07:38 PM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
I want to thank everyone who offered their advice here - I took advantage of the current discounts and ordered the DA15. I may also order the 21 but want some time think about it some more. The current discounts are really tempting.
Used DA21 usually sell for less than used DA 15s so you probably made the right decision.