Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2008, 12:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Two Little Beauties

I just received my KEH order. The Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 35/3.5 and 55/1.8 look nearly new ...clear glass, glossy paint, crisp lettering. They were graded EX+, and look fairly close to new. The beautiful metal front caps (one Asahi, one Honeywell) look very fresh. The build quality on these lenses is simply superb, and they make most modern lenses look like toys. How could anyone part with these?

Is there any difference between the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar and the later SMC Takumar? Obviously, the focus ring is different, but is it the same lens otherwise?

05-20-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the S-M-C's work with the SP F and later full aperture metering? Otherwise little or no optical difference on most.

Congratulations by the way, yes, these are gorgeous gems.
05-20-2008, 01:00 PM   #3
Banned

I believe only cosmetic differences.
05-20-2008, 01:11 PM   #4
Inactive Account

There is no difference in SMC and Super Multi Coated Takumar screw mount lenses other than the focusing ring.

SMC and Super Multi Coated are multicoated where as the earlier Super Takumars are generally single coated except for a few of the later ones.

Earlier Super Takumars do not have an open aperture metering lug, the later SMC and Super Multi Coated Takumar models do.

Consider getting yourself a Spotmatic "F" to go with those fine lenses. You won't be sorry.

woof!

05-20-2008, 01:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Indeed, woof, I recently purchased a Spotmatic F--and, yes, I am not disappointed. In fact, I may even look for another nice Spotmatic F

Great camera...great lenses...how could one go wrong?
05-20-2008, 02:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I appreciate the replies.

I have heard that some, particularly the Japanese, believe that single-coated lenses perform better than multi-coated lenses in black and white photography. Any opinions?
05-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Sorry about the inaccurate info I gave above...

There are subtle differences, I find - and I shoot with everything from uncoated to multi coated. My Auto Takumar and Super Takumar on digital aren't as obviously different from the SMC, as digital processing seems to even out a lot of this (in camera and post). I think how flare / light is rendered is different - if you've heard of the Leica bloom, or can picture it, you have some of the flavor. It isn't necessarily more technically accurate, but then if photography was only about technical accuracy we'd all be shooting with one camera and one set of lenses (the most perfect) only.

05-20-2008, 05:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I recently picked up my Super Takumar 28mm f/3.5 ... and I was impressed in the quality of this lens ... it was like new ... not a mark on it at all .. nice and glossy with clear printing and number on it.

Can't wait for the 85 and 135 on the way now.
05-21-2008, 06:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Congratulations on your finds, Simon

Indeed, I was surprised by the freshness of the lenses I bought...a much better experience than the guessing game of eBay...but, then, my KEH purchases are always satisfying.

Regards,
Glen
05-21-2008, 03:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Well ... I just received my 85mm and 135mm from jsherman999 from here ... and they are in "like new" condition ... very nice indeed. Gotta love the Martketplace in here. I haven't tried KEH yet (being over here in Australia) ... but if there is anything decent that pops up on there I might try them.

I take it they are pretty good with their condition descriptions on their site???
05-22-2008, 05:14 AM   #11
Banned

QuoteQuote:
I take it they are pretty good with their condition descriptions on their site???
most people would say that they are, yes.
05-22-2008, 09:59 AM   #12

I picked up a Super Tak 35/3.5 a while back (mint or very close to it), but never got the K mount adapter...it's coming in the mail from KEH today so I'll finally get to check it out