Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-21-2014, 09:20 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Help me please to find portrait lens.

While my new toy K-5iis left the store , I try to figure out what the best DA lens I can afford for it. The budget can be $200-400, depends on how much of my stash I will sell for it.
$400 if I also add the battery grip which comes with the camera. I have no clue if I really need that, extra charged batteries set is all I carry in my bag.

Anyway, I'd like to get my very first DA for Pentax. First I thought about DA50mm f1.8, but maybe I can do better, including used lens department.
I'd like to get good portrait and walk around lens. DA 70mm f2.4 pancake seems better option than 50mm f1.8, and I hope that I can get it for $400 used.

However, maybe there are more options for the budget of up to $400? I'm lost!

11-21-2014, 09:27 AM   #2
Mr_Canuck

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
While my new toy K-5iis left the store , I try to figure out what the best DA lens I can afford for it. The budget can be $200-400, depends on how much of my stash I will sell for it.
$400 if I also add the battery grip which comes with the camera. I have no clue if I really need that, extra charged batteries set is all I carry in my bag.

Anyway, I'd like to get my very first DA for Pentax. First I thought about DA50mm f1.8, but maybe I can do better, including used lens department.
I'd like to get good portrait and walk around lens. DA 70mm f2.4 pancake seems better option than 50mm f1.8, and I hope that I can get it for $400 used.

You should consider an FA50/1.4. It is an excellent lens, somewhat soft at 1.4/1.6 but by f/1.8 and 2.0 it is marvelous! You could probably find one used here for about $250. The DA70 is very nice though it seems to have less character, and it's not as fast a lens as the FA50.
11-21-2014, 09:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you want new, it's hard to beat the DA50/1.8 for the price. If you want used, the F50/1.7 can be had for cheaper and it is one of the sharpest lenses I've ever seen for K mount, plus it has very interesting bokeh. Of course, if you want to spend a little more and you're feeling serious enough to try manual focus, the Rokinon 85/1.4 has its fans, and it's the cheapest 85/1.4 to my knowledge.
11-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr_Canuck Quote
You should consider an FA50/1.4. It is an excellent lens, somewhat soft at 1.4/1.6 but by f/1.8 and 2.0 it is marvelous! You could probably find one used here for about $250. The DA70 is very nice though it seems to have less character, and it's not as fast a lens as the FA50.
I do have two manuals f1.4 : supertak 50mm f1.4 and mamiya sekor 55mm f1.4. They both great, and it seems I like mamiya more for "clarity" more, but supertak has interesting character. I keep both of them.
I'd like some universal portrait and walk around (street photography) lens, not necessarily 1.4 of 1.2 (ISO will not be a problem with K5iis like with K200D), but fast focusing and best as possible IQ for the price range I can afford.

I miss too many interesting moments with manual focusing, and don't feel comfortable to focus manually too long on public, it brings attention. That's why I'm thinking about DA to explore all possibilities with new camera.

11-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For your "normal" field of view, the DA 35mm f/2.4 is the cheapest option.
The DA 50mm f/1.8 would be my "portrait" choice between the two "plastic-fantastics".
Both are great lenses. With your budget, you could own both and keep your battery grip.
The DA 70 Limited could be good for a portrait lens if you don't mind standing farther away from your subject, but may be too narrow for "walk-around". Used price is your whole budget.
There is currently a DA*55 for sale in the Pentax Forums Marketplace, somewhat higher price than your budget, but a SUPERB portrait lens. Buy it before I do.
11-21-2014, 09:55 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

We have a little guide here:
Beginner Portrait Lens Guide - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-21-2014, 10:01 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
The DA 70 Limited could be good for a portrait lens if you don't mind standing farther away from your subject, but may be too narrow for "walk-around". Used price is your whole budget.
I don't mind to shoot away form street subjects, I do have problem to get too close and get some angry looks

QuoteQuote:
There is currently a DA*55 for sale in the Pentax Forums Marketplace, somewhat higher price than your budget, but a SUPERB portrait lens. Buy it before I do.
It's quite "dimensional", love it. I'm not ready to pay now, setting the budget toward I don't know what yet.

---------- Post added 11-21-14 at 10:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Thanks, Adam. Seems I like lenses I can't afford, damn! Another option is to sell my Canon... not ready yet.

Last edited by micromacro; 11-21-2014 at 10:07 AM.
11-21-2014, 11:05 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bsamcash Quote
Of course, if you want to spend a little more and you're feeling serious enough to try manual focus, the Rokinon 85/1.4 has its fans, and it's the cheapest 85/1.4 to my knowledge.
I own this lens and it is superb. smoothest focusing ring which makes MF a breeze, especially with in camera focus confirmation.
11-21-2014, 11:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Well I was about to post but Adam's link covers things quite well. PF has some useful blog posts, but nobody (me included) seems to remember them
11-21-2014, 11:41 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bsamcash Quote
the Rokinon 85/1.4 has its fans, and it's the cheapest 85/1.4 to my knowledge.
Rokinon is no1 in my "I want" manual focus portrait lens. I see it was cheaper just a couple of month ago, must be that black friday price manipulation game.

I don't know why should I have DA lens. Perhaps only because I've never tried it. Should I really? Is it really better AF than F, or AF lens?
It would be much easy go to the store and try it! (the biggest Pentax drawback!)
11-21-2014, 11:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

DA lenses are made for digital, so they have modern lens coatings, very light materials, and a really short focus throw. This means they should AF quickly. Not sure about the focus throw difference between DA 50mm f1.8 and FA 50mm f1.4, for example, or FA 35mm f2.0 and DA 35mm f2.4, but I assume the DA is as fast or faster.
The DA 50mm f1.8 should work well as a portrait lens, the FA 50mm f1.4, too. But they will be similar to your other 50mm lenses in FoV and DoF.
11-21-2014, 11:46 AM   #12
Inactive Account

70Ltd is probably my favorite lens. Very sharp, beautiful color rendition and bokeh, no CA, good flare resistance, quick AF, very good build quality, small, light etc.

I highly recommend it. You can find used for ~400$ in perfect condition. Or just wait for black friday!
11-21-2014, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I agree, the DA 70/2.4 is a really nice lens that don't really have any glaring weaknesses.
Some street stuff taken by me with it: https://www.flickr.com/photos/andreassundell/sets/72157629652912987
11-21-2014, 12:03 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
70Ltd is probably my favorite lens. Very sharp, beautiful color rendition and bokeh, no CA, good flare resistance, quick AF, very good build quality, small, light etc.

I highly recommend it. You can find used for ~400$ in perfect condition. Or just wait for black friday!
I doubt it will be a steal price for that lens on black friday. I checked tons of images for that lens, and like them very much. 70cm minimum focus distance is just fine with me, I have plenty of close focusing lenses, vivitar 20mm f3.8 is one of them (just about 5cm).
Why no one told me before that photography is expensive hobby?!

Ok, here is different question: with sufficient funds what would you prefer: DA 50mm or 70mm limited?
11-21-2014, 12:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Why no one told me before that photography is expensive hobby?!
The beauty though is that investing in used lenses usually means you got the same or almost the same money back when you sell them. I think of it as renting....for free!