Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aperture ring or no aperture ring

I love the manual aperture ring on my 77mm f1.8 limited even though I seldom use it I'm just glad it's there in case I get sentimental and want to go fully manual like in the days of film. Pentax is one of the only if not the only lens manufacturer that offers Retro style lenses in that the distance scales on the lens can be used like the lenses of old, this includes figuring out Hyperfocal distance. On most so-called modern AF lenses this is impossible to do. With that said do you think the DA lenses should have included the aperture ring or not ?

11-21-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

In the digital age the aperture ring is essentially pointless except when using close-up accessories. DA and DFA macro lenses should have aperture rings IMO, especially since Pentax offers no auto extension tubes. After a few years of feeling weird about the lack of aperture rings on other lenses, I've moved on and I think it's for the best.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-21-2014, 06:56 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Third party manufacturers have said the mechanical aperture of Pentax lenses makes it more difficult to engineer the lens mount.
The backward compatibility has helped in some ways but since they can't just go all electronic it probably makes it easier for Tamron and Sigma to drop support for Pentax.
11-21-2014, 09:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
"The backward compatibility has helped in some ways but since they can't just go all electronic it probably makes it easier for Tamron and Sigma to drop support for Pentax."

Who needs their SDM lenses when they are designing HUGE and heavy lenses with useless mysterious distance scales. Pentax should stick with their guns and design lenses which are small accurate and functional like Leica. They should scrap the pancakes and those HUGE waste of money SDM f4.5-5.8 4 lenses. Really how much are these type of lenses going to be worth on the used market. Tell those French and Italian designers to go home and design lenses by photographers for photographers. Olympus almost knocked themselves out of the market by being too weird.

Last edited by hjoseph7; 11-22-2014 at 01:33 PM.
11-21-2014, 09:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
"The backward compatibility has helped in some ways but since they can't just go all electronic it probably makes it easier for Tamron and Sigma to drop support for Pentax."

Who needs their SDM lenses that support when they are designing HUGE and heavy lenses with useless mysterious distance scales. Pentax should stick with their guns and design lenses which are small accurate and functional. They should scrap the pancakes and those HUGE waste of money SDM f4.5-5.8 4 lenses. Really how much are these type of lenses going to be worth on the used market. Tell those French and Italian designers to go home and design lenses by photographers for photographers. Olympus almost knocked themselves out of the market by being to weird.
I don't agree, I think it is good to have choices. Different strokes and all that.
11-21-2014, 09:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Who needs their SDM lenses that support when they are designing HUGE and heavy lenses with useless mysterious distance scales. Pentax should stick with their guns and design lenses which are small accurate and functional. They should scrap the pancakes and those HUGE waste of money SDM f4.5-5.8 4 lenses.
Tamron and Sigma are the only ones who have build long fast zooms for Pentax newer than 1995 (or whenever the FA 300 f/2.8 was discontinued). Pentax is supposed to have a 70-200 f/2.8 coming, but man, it's like 6 years later than late.

The only thing that makes Tamron and Sigma drop support is sales. Difficult or not, if the sales were there, they would do it.
11-22-2014, 06:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One thing people often overlook is that you just need one dial in order work fast with a lens with an aperture ring...
I can see that with M lenses: I can use an entry level camera and still use two separate controls for shutter speed (the only dial) and aperture (the aperture ring).
It's not the most ergonomic of the arrangments, but IMHO it beats having to press the EV comp. button in order to change apertures.

11-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

On most so-called modern AF lenses this is impossible to do. With that said do you think the DA lenses should have included the aperture ring or not ?
I can just about live without an aperture ring on the lens but I draw the line at not having an infinity end stop on the focus ring. Crazy.
11-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
In the digital age the aperture ring is essentially pointless except when using close-up accessories. DA and DFA macro lenses should have aperture rings IMO, especially since Pentax offers no auto extension tubes.
Agreed but I'll take it a step further by saying that it should be a mandatory requirement of being a true macro lens, along with the 1:1 ratio. (IMO) The rest of the DA line-up not having an aperture ring really doesn't matter to me. Initially only experiencing the lack of an aperture ring with my DA kit lenses that I no longer have, I quickly got use to it. Now with my recent purchase of the DA21 I honestly haven't noticed the lack of one but, I use to think it should be a must have with all limited & * lenses at their costs. Not of necessity, but rather luxury. The way luxury cars come with more options, or should I say "bells & whistles."
Aperture rings are something that will always make FA Limited & * lenses extra special to me.
11-22-2014, 01:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It doesn't hurt. They should be adding more features rather than taking away tried-and-true features that some people like and are not causing any major damage...
11-22-2014, 03:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

With digital bodies having Av mode I think the aperture ring is obsolete. It's only really useful when using accessories in between the lens and body. If removing the ring makes the lens assembly simpler and less expensive then I'm all for it.
11-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
I can just about live without an aperture ring on the lens but I draw the line at not having an infinity end stop on the focus ring. Crazy.
I was so baffled when I faced that situation for the first time with the DA 40mm XS...
11-22-2014, 05:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member

but on the other hand, we get A mode on Samyang lenses, which not all brands do. I would like more lenses to have aperture rings and DoF scales, at least the top tier lenses and the ones that are not pancakes. I mean, I understand why the DA 40mm XS can't have an aperture ring, or that the DA 50mm f1.8 is cheaper because it has no aperture ring; but the DFA 100mm WR?? Come on! Its a 100mm macro, it can be used on extension tubes and bellows, aperture ring is needed! (as well as focus limiter, but let's forget that for a moment)

I am ok with lens simplification, but not across the board. Some lenses can be simple, with no markings, no "confusing" aperture rings; but there should also be choices for advanced users who might want these things.
11-23-2014, 05:58 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aperture ring + aperture feeler in camera body. (So sad they've said it's a no go.) Otherwise it's just clumsier than throwing it on A and using an e-dial.
11-23-2014, 01:39 PM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I've grown up and grown old with aperture rings, whether they're needed or not in this modern age, I would certainly miss them if they weren't there.