Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I remember some pros used the 40mm LTD version for that; and the XS is optically identical.
They're similar, but not identical.

Here are the diagrams from the Pentax lens brochure:

Attached Images

11-26-2014, 03:16 AM   #17
Veteran Member

But is that actually a difference? Those two diagrams don't appear to be to scale, and they are just simplified schematics. But sure, I would like to see a side by side comparison between the new HD 40mm ltd and DA 40mm XS.
11-26-2014, 07:33 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Those two diagrams don't appear to be to scale
Both lenses are 63mm in diameter, which does suggest that they have been drawn to the same scale.
11-26-2014, 09:25 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks identical to me. I think the one one the right has just been squeezed. The non-glass elements have been squished too.

11-26-2014, 10:16 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Looks identical to me. I think the one one the right has just been squeezed. The non-glass elements have been squished too.
But since the "lengths" of the lenses in the diagrams appear to be correct,
there would not be room in the XS lens for the glass from the Limited.
11-26-2014, 10:18 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I love the 40mm XS!
I even use it on my film cameras from time to time with excellent results .
11-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
But since the "lengths" of the lenses in the diagrams appear to be correct,
there would not be room in the XS lens for the glass from the Limited.
My opinion is that those two images are from the exact same file, only the one on the right has been squashed. Every detail of the lens' silhouette is the same, only thinner on the right.

Who knows. I like my XS, and you can't argue with results! All I have to do now is get the 40 Ltd--then I can compare it to the M40, the 40XS, the 43 Ltd that I already have! An embarrassment of 40s!

11-26-2014, 12:56 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
My opinion is that those two images are from the exact same file, only the one on the right has been squashed.
While they do appear to have done the "quick and dirty" on the images,
it is clear that two lenses with differing distances
from the front of the front element to the mount or sensor at infinity focus
must have different optics.
11-26-2014, 01:35 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just got it in today. The AF is certainly more snappy than either my 35-70 or my 18-55 in the same situations so far. IQ is yet to be really determined since I haven't left the house quite yet, but it seems just fine to me. Great contrast and good sharpness so far!

Another added benefit seems to be cheap as hell ND filters too.
11-29-2014, 02:15 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So this lens seems to flare pretty badly when pointed at the sun, worse than even my 18-55.

Is this normal?
11-29-2014, 04:14 PM   #26
Veteran Member

My first experience with this lens in bright sunlight as also not that great, but stop down and it gets much better. The problem with the XS version is that it has 27mm filter threads, so it is difficult to find a lens hood. Maybe some step up rings. Also, if you lose the lens cap, don't buy a genuine replacement, it is very expensive. There are cheaper knock offs available online. I just bought a Massa 27mm UV filter that I use instead of the lens cap. It has the benefit that I can just shoot without removing it, if I dont have the time to unscrew it - it barely affects the IQ.
But don't worry about flare and fringing, the lens has a learning curve, and once you get it, you get it
11-29-2014, 05:56 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My first experience with this lens in bright sunlight as also not that great, but stop down and it gets much better. The problem with the XS version is that it has 27mm filter threads, so it is difficult to find a lens hood. Maybe some step up rings. Also, if you lose the lens cap, don't buy a genuine replacement, it is very expensive. There are cheaper knock offs available online. I just bought a Massa 27mm UV filter that I use instead of the lens cap. It has the benefit that I can just shoot without removing it, if I dont have the time to unscrew it - it barely affects the IQ.
But don't worry about flare and fringing, the lens has a learning curve, and once you get it, you get it
Stopping down didn't seem to help the flare, but it does reduce fringing (the fringing I already knew about). Colors are great though, so is the contrast.

Just wanted to make sure the flaring wasn't abnormal.

Here are some pics I took today, as well as some crops of some weird bokeh I noticed.

The only adjustments these pictures have are for exposure and very minor contrast changes.

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 11-29-2014 at 06:06 PM.