Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2014, 07:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm always looking for a bargain

On a retirement budget I really can't afford $600 and up for lenses so I'm on the lookout for good lenses at affordable prices. I was perusing the KEH website and came across a Pentax FA 35-80 f4-5.6 rated Ex for $27.00 add about $10 for shipping and I'll have less than $40 in it. I checked the reviews and some sample pics and decided to go for it. Now it's just waiting for it to arrive!

11-22-2014, 07:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That lens is supposed to be one of the nicer old kit lenses but the F 35-70 would be the better one and worth looking for. They're usually cheapest on Ebay when sold with a film camera - look for SF1 or SF10. If you keep looking you might find one shipped for 40-50 dollars. Me, personally, I think the real value is in the old manual lenses... If your eyes can keep up, that is.
11-22-2014, 08:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip, but I have already placed the order; besides I would rather have the autofocus I think. My eyes are fine and I have no trouble focusing but sometimes I want to be lazy and just shoot.
11-22-2014, 08:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I don't know what other lenses you have, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by your 35-80. As ChristianRock said, I picked my copy up when I bought an old auto-focus film camera from one of my buddies. I had been using the FA 28-80 as my walk-around lens, but I think the 35-80 is a lot sharper. It's not quite the equal of my A35-105mm, but for the size and price, it's a danged good compromise. I think you got a good deal at the price you paid.

11-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
Thanks for the tip, but I have already placed the order; besides I would rather have the autofocus I think. My eyes are fine and I have no trouble focusing but sometimes I want to be lazy and just shoot.
F 35-70 is autofocus lens. The good copy of that lens is really great for the price. And its macro (close up) is really good as well. It's noisy as early AF generation lens, but I don't mind. Again, the price/quality ratio is amazing.
11-22-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
Pentaxian

F 35-70 is an AF lens. Just something to consider in the future
Another common AF bargain is the DAL 50-200, which KEH usually has for 40-50 dollars.
11-22-2014, 09:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The K-50 came with the DAL 18-55 WR and the DAL 50-200 WR. In addition I have a Sigma 28-80 Macro which is OK, but the operation is a little rough, like it's got sand in the gears or something. I'll keep it around for macro use but I don't see it as an everyday lens. I also have an older Pentax-A 50mm f2.0. On my film camera I have an old Tamron 28-200 which is an autofocus lens but it has always seemed a bit on the soft side and it's a big, heavy lens to boot.