Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2014, 11:29 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
From what you read around here, you'd swear that most forum members are our taking pictures in driving rainstorms and harsh conditions all the time.

For me, it's not at all important. Cameras had none of it for years and the competitors don't have it now. With a bit of care and common sense, there's not a major issue. Camera equipment is fairly robust, after all. A couple drops here or there are unlikely to do much harm.

11-22-2014, 11:38 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
snip..
It is a lot of fun to be in a touristy area with lots of expensive cameras and see everyone run for cover at the least moisture, while I keep shooting.
snip...
I have been on bus trips/tours in wet weather conditions... watching a bunch of Canikon users with expensive models huddling under the overhang awnings and keep wiping off water from camera/lens is priceless. The fact that my camera and lens have WR features make me more confident that I can shoot in any adverse conditions.
11-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
I often find some of the best photo opps come during inclement weather - eg shooting macro in the rain or wildlife while it's snowing - living in Minneapolis which averages colder winter temps than Anchorage, it's almost a necessity if I want to shoot without putting my gear in a plastic bag for an hour to adjust to ambient temps before shooting. I took my GR out the other day in freezing temps and noticed it had a tough time focusing after a while so it's definitely good peace of mind to have WR Pentax gear and know I have nothing to worry about
11-22-2014, 12:02 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's not as important as my macho brain thought it would be. I think my only WR lens is the DA 18-55 which came with a body and has been gathering dust in the back of my lens closet for the past two years. I don't generally shoot in the rain except for field sports where the DA 18-50 would be pretty useless. For that, I use those Op-Tech disposable plastic bags camera/lens covers.

11-22-2014, 12:08 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Very important for me. I've specifically gone out in rain and storms with my k-3 and DA*55 several times for long-ish durations just to take photos. I have a waterproof jacket, waterproof boots, waterproof gloves, waterproof bag, and my jeans don't soak - so of course my camera combo needs to be just as weather resistant as I am.
11-22-2014, 12:22 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dukeatoakland Quote
What a perfectly timed question. I just came in from the rain and started researching WR options at 35mm. I have some WR zooms and a brilliant 100mm Macro WR, but I'm in love with my 35 ltd. I was considering starting a thread to get some opinions on which WR lens could get me closest to the ltd.
Back to your question - very. My best opportunities always seem to come in the rain or in the desert. I have no problem being demanding of my gear, but as a hobbyist I can not justify doing permanent damage to get a shot. Weather resistance matters to me.

im in the same boat, i i just lost my k5 and limiteds along with it so am about to rebuy with all the holiday sales going on... the one lens i want to replace is the 35 limited since i cant afford to replace all, and i decided to go with the 20-40 once i see the black friday deals instead... simply becasue even though i loved the 35 lim more than any other lens ive ever used, i used my 18-55 more becasue of wr. and the 18-55 takes some ugly ass photos comparatively. for me, i do all in-studio work, i dont go out in the rain, but WR has a huge advantage no one is mentioning:

FOG: when taking shots of someone in a hot shower for example, non wr lenses fog up in seconds on the inside of the camera body and lens. the wr makes a huge difference and you only need to wipe off the front of the lens btwn burst shots.

SPILLS: i love drinking while i workk, and let me tell you my camera has had pizza sauce, beer, you name it spilled on it. wouldnt want to do that to a $1000 piece of glass and get moisture on the inside.

so even though the 20-40 isnt QUITE as sharp as the 35, i downscale everything to 1920x1280 anyways so no one would ever tell teh difference and the rendering from sample shots ive seen is gorgeous.

Last edited by dominikkolendo; 11-22-2014 at 12:24 PM. Reason: quoted wrong person
11-22-2014, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

This is why:

Shots like this would never have been without me sitting in a sub-zero (Celsius) downpour. It was actually really cozy to sit there having the rain freezing to ice when it hit you while you watched the birds come and go in the water.

Add to it stuff like dunking it in mud, having it getting frozen and other tough environment.

11-22-2014, 12:41 PM   #23
Pentaxian

A major reason I bought the DA 18-135 was to have ONE WR option that covers most situations. This was inspired by a trip to Japan last year where I was frequently shooting in the rain with Limited primes and having to change lenses under whatever cover I could find or under my rain jacket. Going back another day wasn't an option.
11-22-2014, 12:48 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lots of interesting responses.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dukeatoakland Quote
What a perfectly timed question. I just came in from the rain and started researching WR options at 35mm. I have some WR zooms and a brilliant 100mm Macro WR, but I'm in love with my 35 ltd. I was considering starting a thread to get some opinions on which WR lens could get me closest to the ltd.
Back to your question - very. My best opportunities always seem to come in the rain or in the desert. I have no problem being demanding of my gear, but as a hobbyist I can not justify doing permanent damage to get a shot. Weather resistance matters to me.
Yes it's a shame there isn't a DA* 35mm , I'd get it in a heartbeat... assuming it maintained the usual DA* quality of course

The 20-40mm is the closest thing I guess
11-22-2014, 12:58 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I feel more comfortable with WR in the cold, but the problem is I only have 1 WR lens and that's my 100mm Macro. I feel good that at least my camera( K-5 II) is weather resistant down to 14 degrees. As far a rain is concerned, I have taken some great pictures in the rain. Usually I just put a clear sandwich bag over the lens and secure it with a rubber band, but guess what that does not stop condensation. Actually I think it makes it worse ! One day, I got caught in a torrential down-poor while on a shoot (with a Non-WR camera and lenses) which came out of nowhere. The nearest cover was at least 200 yards away, by "cover" I mean just trees.

Luckily my camera/Lunch bag was on of those insulated models, so I put the camera in the bag and ran for the nearest tree. I wasn't sure how safe the camera/lunch bag was and while standing under some trees, huge heavy raindrops would hit the bag. After it was all over I said to myself If it wasn't for this lunch /camera bag it would have been a disaster ! Stuff like this is what made me want to purchase a fully WR camera, now I just need to get more WR lenses.

Last edited by hjoseph7; 11-22-2014 at 01:14 PM.
11-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I think it's essential to have a WR body and at least 1 general purpose WR lens. Later lens purchases are less important to be WR. My DA* 16-50 is always with me on an overnight trip so I'm not stuck if the weather turns bad when I want to take photos.
11-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have said this before and will say it again. WR is NOT water proof or dust proof. It is grossly over rated. There are many many stories of woe ranging from the absurd where someone complained after washing his camera under the kitchen tap for the 50th time, to people out shooting all day and getting home only to watch their camera fog up hours later.

When I shoot in the rain, I use a plastic bag over the camera, I the snow I do nothing, as the snow is below zero and falls off ., the few flakes that stick get wiped away.

At best, WR kit be insurance if the primary protection fails, but I don't count on it.
11-22-2014, 01:39 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Conqueror Quote
How important is WR/AW to you... and why?
It is very important to me, mainly because I live in an high humidity area but even because accidents can happen.

Not more than 5 days ago, I was driving and I saw a beautiful rainbow. I parked, I walked for 1 minute, let's say 200 meters.
I took few shots and suddenly started to rain in a very very strong way. I ran to the car but my camera finished completely wet.
Camera and lens were totally covered of water, so was I.
Everything is still working fine, maybe even a non-WR camera would have worked without problems, but I'm not very interested in discover it...
11-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
A major reason I bought the DA 18-135 was to have ONE WR option that covers most situations. This was inspired by a trip to Japan last year where I was frequently shooting in the rain with Limited primes and having to change lenses under whatever cover I could find or under my rain jacket. Going back another day wasn't an option.
I got a DA 18-135 for the same reason and have not regretted it. Recently in the sounds (top of South Island) I went on a trip on my brothers boat in variable conditions - the WR gave me the confidence to take my camera and I got plenty of shots I would otherwise have missed.

My DA 18-135 has been wet a few times now. Great for taking time lapse of a storm coming over.
11-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #30
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
after washing his camera under the kitchen tap for the 50th time
If it made it to the 50th wash, that's some damned good weather resistance.