Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2014, 02:08 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
WR is important to me.
I like to take photos when I'm traveling, and I can't control the weather. Sometimes I have no choice.
There are also times when I'm somewhere where water can unexpectedly splash on me such as near a pool, beach, or parts of a zoo or animal show.
It's nice to not have to worry about my equipment.

11-22-2014, 02:12 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OT question - could WR actually be considered as kind of protection against condensation? I mean there might be some condensation outside, but what happens inside WR camera / lens?
11-22-2014, 02:17 PM   #33
Veteran Member

No, condensation occurs based on humidity, which bypasses the seals. The internal of the lens will always have some humidity.
11-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's very important to me. Even if I don't go out in bad weather, it's easy to get caught out and it's nice to be able to keep shooting and not have to panic when this happens.

11-22-2014, 02:37 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I don't go out taking pictures in the rain either...
Same here.

Plus I'm in Southern California, which always has nice weather...
11-22-2014, 02:40 PM   #36

WR is an important reason for staying and upgrading with Pentax. I shot in all kinds of weather. I always get stopped when photographing in the rain by folks who are concerned that I am ruining my camera. After a quick explanation of Pentax's WR/AW equipment, people leave with a chuckle and a smile, just amazed. Know a few had their other brand cameras tucked away for protection from the elements, wishing to take photos, but afraid to get wet. Some commented not knowing about Pentax's capabilities and wishing to make the switch. Action does speak louder then words.
11-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
No, condensation occurs based on humidity, which bypasses the seals. The internal of the lens will always have some humidity.
in my use, yeah, the wr lens eventually gets fogged up, but it takes a while to notice.
a regular lens fogs up the slr mirror in an instant, so it makes a huge difference, even just the rubber gasket over the camera mount

11-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #38
Veteran Member

What I don't understand

Thinking about WR lenses, I really don't understand why cheap and slow (in terms of aperture) zoom lenses has WR, and fast zoom like 16-50mm or 60-250mm don't.

There are three things in question.

First, when is raining, or snowing, isn't much light, and a fast aperture lens is important.

Second. A lens with internal focusing, like 60-250mm I think that's much easy to seal.

Third. I think that anyone who's paying big money on a lens, want a good protected lens.

I forget about the DA 20-40mm, which is WR. but is not very fast.

And another important thing. Maybe, in the near future, Pentax will learn to built zoom lenses which are not extending when you focus, or you change the focal distance, like the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8, or Sigma 70-200mm 2.8, to mention only the ones I know for sure. In this way, the WR seal will be much more effective, and the lens will not ''breath'' while is working. Because when is raining, usually is much moisture in the air.
11-22-2014, 03:05 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Thinking about WR lenses, I really don't understand why cheap and slow (in terms of aperture) zoom lenses has WR, and fast zoom like 16-50mm or 60-250mm don't.

There are three things in question.

First, when is raining, or snowing, isn't much light, and a fast aperture lens is important.

Second. A lens with internal focusing, like 60-250mm I think that's much easy to seal.

Third. I think that anyone who's paying big money on a lens, want a good protected lens.

I forget about the DA 20-40mm, which is WR. but is not very fast.

And another important thing. Maybe, in the near future, Pentax will learn to built zoom lenses which are not extending when you focus, or you change the focal distance, like the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8, or Sigma 70-200mm 2.8, to mention only the ones I know for sure. In this way, the WR seal will be much more effective, and the lens will not ''breath'' while is working. Because when is raining, usually is much moisture in the air.

Er, the DA*16-50 and 60-250 are sealed. They are sealed to a greater degree than WR lenses.
Also, the DA*50-135 is a non-zooming and IF lens.
11-22-2014, 03:07 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
I think that anyone who's paying big money on a lens, want a good protected lens.
This is the point. The biggest part of the final price of a lens I think that's the development cost and materials, so why don't add the WR to all the lenses?
11-22-2014, 03:09 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Oh, my mistake, but it took me about 2 minutes to read every line, to find out that they are sealed.

So, only the question about not extending lenses, is valid.
11-22-2014, 03:12 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Well in consideration, Pentax has been releasing quite a lot of WR lenses. Disregarding the renewal of the Limited lenses, they released:

HD 55-300 WR
DA 560 AW
DA 20-40 WR Ltd
HD 1.4 Converter WR
and now the 16-85, and possibly a DA*70-200 coming up. I would also bet on the 80-400 telephoto being either AW or WR.
11-22-2014, 03:16 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Conqueror Quote
How important is WR/AW to you... and why?
Although my K-3 is WR, I don't have any lenses that are. During a constant mist in Juneau this September, I wish I had at least one lens that was. I was able to keep the camera inside my jacket except while taking shots, but it would have been much better to have a completely WR setup. My next lens will be a replacement for the first generation 18-55mm kit lens. I'm thinking Sigma 17-50 or 17-70, but the new Pentax 16-85 does have WR going for it. I'll have to weigh that vs. it being 1-2 stops slower at maximum aperture.
11-22-2014, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WR is important to me because I like to shoot nature, and our favorite vacation spot is Yucatan, where it is humid and can rain at a moments notice.
The WR has come in handy shooting birds in Florida in the rain, and on a trip to Costa Rica where it rained during our trip to the cloud forest.
WR means I don't have to worry about the gear, just keep shooting.

All these were shot in the rain:

11-22-2014, 03:54 PM   #45
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I'm pretty sure nobody thinks I'm totally princess
Can we put that to a vote?