Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2014, 12:34 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I want something that will allow more creative latitude. So, I do have my sights set on the Pentax-A or -F 70-210mm with the constant f/4. I like the looks of this lens and of course the glowing reviews it has earned.
Definitely good choice - I would recommend going for fast Pentax-A version with F/4 instead of AF version. AF isn't all that exciting and fairly slow at long end. Make sure when you buy that you get the SMC Pentax-A version, not Pentax-A or Takumar one - only SMC designed 70-210 F/4 is really worth its praise.

12-19-2014, 10:57 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thank you Mr. manntax, sir. I have looked again at reviews for both lenses. The SMC Pentax A version w/constant F4 received an average rating of 8.18. However, the SMC Pentax-F received an average rating of 8.49. If you would please, look up the review for the SMC Pentax-F 70~210mm F4~5.6 Lens. Scroll down to dcpropilot and check out the one photo that was posted. There is one reviewer who posted the word "samples" in his review in red letters. There you will find a wonderful gallery of pics. Sorry, I do not recall his PF name. Then, fasten your seat belt and scroll down to the bottom of the page. This photo is just about the best I have seen in my 40 years of photography. Aside from the young lady's beauty, the bokeh is wonderful and exactly where it is supposed to be. The detail of the green bush on the right and of the rock that she is resting on. The colors could not be improved by Monet himself. For example, check out the colors of her outfit. Overall, this photo is: "Most Impressive." So impressive I find it difficult to pull my eyes away from it. By the way, just for grins, I did check out her left hand, and there is a wedding set on her finger. Let me know what you think. The lens may have some issues such a loud and cumbersome AF feature, however, I find Manual focusing to still be the best. Thanks again for your advice, it is very much appreciated. I am eager to hear your comments. Best regards for this holiday season.

Tony
12-20-2014, 12:07 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Thank you Mr. manntax, sir. I have looked again at reviews for both lenses. The SMC Pentax A version w/constant F4 received an average rating of 8.18. However, the SMC Pentax-F received an average rating of 8.49. If you would please, look up the review for the SMC Pentax-F 70~210mm F4~5.6 Lens. Scroll down to dcpropilot and check out the one photo that was posted. There is one reviewer who posted the word "samples" in his review in red letters. There you will find a wonderful gallery of pics. Sorry, I do not recall his PF name. Then, fasten your seat belt and scroll down to the bottom of the page. This photo is just about the best I have seen in my 40 years of photography. Aside from the young lady's beauty, the bokeh is wonderful and exactly where it is supposed to be. The detail of the green bush on the right and of the rock that she is resting on. The colors could not be improved by Monet himself. For example, check out the colors of her outfit. Overall, this photo is: "Most Impressive." So impressive I find it difficult to pull my eyes away from it. By the way, just for grins, I did check out her left hand, and there is a wedding set on her finger. Let me know what you think. The lens may have some issues such a loud and cumbersome AF feature, however, I find Manual focusing to still be the best. Thanks again for your advice, it is very much appreciated. I am eager to hear your comments. Best regards for this holiday season. Tony
I reviewed all sample shots you've mentioned and indeed there are some beautiful shots to be found but I find it hardly convincing to base an opinion of a lens on a single photo - If we were to judge lenses by single great sample shots I guarantee you would find them all equal - even humble kit lens can deliver some superb shots when paired with good eye and technique.
And really both those lenses are great but they serve entirely different purposes in my opinion, but what I meant is that for manual focusing SMC- A version is simple better. It is also faster and colours and sharpness is on par or better than SMC-F lens. Average rating means nothing really because this can much too easily be affected by one or two particularly negative or positive review.. and if you look deep enough you will find some that clearly state SMC-A is superior to SMC-F in terms of image quality. Not to mention the focusing - manual experience with SMC-F is hardly to be called good while the SMC-A is simple dream to use - also for video mode where I use mine the most - push pull design makes it particularly easy to zoom in and out with focusing at the same time. Try and look hard enough for sample shots for both lenses in their review threads and see for yourself - there are good shots from both of them and it really boils down if manual focusing and faster glass is your primary interest, or rather autofocus. Also you can explore flickr - starting point : SMC Pentax 70 210 on Flickr - just go through and since these are results mixed for both lenses just see which ones you like and check their origin - I often do that if I am interested in a particular lens. Note that even this method will not be fully reliable since all depends really on the photographer and PP skills rather than the lens alone.