Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2008, 02:31 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
DA 21mm Ltd. - LBA attack

Why is there so little mentioned about this lens here? I just picked one up from Adorama today. Mounted on the K10D, it's actually cute. A quick test of the built in flash shows fairly uniform flash coverage, corner to corner. A couple of quick shots look sharp. The focal length should be great for a walk around lens and just fine for the interior shots (with flash, 3.2 aperture after all) that I picked it up for. It's my first ever "Limited" lens. I even like the unusual lens shade and the fact that the filter fits inside the tiny shade.
Am I missing something?
Brian

05-20-2008, 02:39 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
I just purchased this lense as well and I already LOVE it

So easy to carry around and on ots first day it gave me this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/27993-sun-field.html
05-20-2008, 03:12 PM   #3

i'm thinking about the da21 for a wide angle but would like some opinions in regard to the performance against a 12-24.

the other option in waiting for the da15 limited to come out.
05-20-2008, 03:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I've thought about picking up one of these to go with my 35 macro and then also adding a 70 to make a compact kit small enough to fit in a fanny pack. I'm impressed with the pics that I've seen out of it. Some people complain that it's too slow, but then that's why there's flash.

Heather

05-20-2008, 04:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

nice to see people enjoying the DA21, i'm one of the few DA21 bumpers that i've seen on this forum. it makes the camera into a great P&S and imo is the most "day-to-day" usable of the pancakes. it seems that the performance on a K20D is sharper than on a K10D.
05-20-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I've thought about picking up one of these to go with my 35 macro and then also adding a 70 to make a compact kit small enough to fit in a fanny pack. I'm impressed with the pics that I've seen out of it. Some people complain that it's too slow, but then that's why there's flash.

Heather
That's the kit I'm using now: DA21, DA35 and DA70, and it's been working out great so far, a very versitile kit. Somewhere down the line I'll probably add the DA*200, and pick up the DA15 when it comes out for a complete prime lens kit. Even though the DA Limiteds are a little slow, they can be used with confidence wide open, which is not something you can say for a lot of faster lenses.
05-20-2008, 04:37 PM   #7

Love my DA21!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
Why is there so little mentioned about this lens here? I just picked one up from Adorama today. Mounted on the K10D, it's actually cute. A quick test of the built in flash shows fairly uniform flash coverage, corner to corner. A couple of quick shots look sharp. The focal length should be great for a walk around lens and just fine for the interior shots (with flash, 3.2 aperture after all) that I picked it up for. It's my first ever "Limited" lens. I even like the unusual lens shade and the fact that the filter fits inside the tiny shade.
Am I missing something?
Brian
Love it, Love it, Love it. I know that people have complained about focusing issues with this lens in particular but I have not had an issue. It is a great lens to get some of the surroundings in your shot.

Attached Images

05-21-2008, 02:41 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Henrik Kristensen Quote
I just purchased this lense as well and I already LOVE it

So easy to carry around and on ots first day it gave me this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/27993-sun-field.html
Beautiful picture. You did a wonderful job of blending. OBTW, I don't think the wires are distracting. They lead your eyes back into the photo if you wander off to the left.
Thanks for sharing,
Brian
05-21-2008, 02:46 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
(snip) Some people complain that it's too slow, but then that's why there's flash.

Heather
The very first picture I took was with the on board flash to check for coverage. It passed to my satisfaction (so far).
Brian
05-21-2008, 02:48 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
(snip) it seems that the performance on a K20D is sharper than on a K10D.

Is that because of the lens match or the increased megapixels?
Brian
05-21-2008, 02:51 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by felix68 Quote
Love it, Love it, Love it. I know that people have complained about focusing issues with this lens (snip)
I don't understand how. I look at the DOF scale printed on the lens and if you stop it down all the way, it goes from infinity to 2'.
Brian

P.S. Nice pictures. Is that you in the second pic? Did you give the camera to someone else to take the photo or were you holding it at arms length?

Last edited by calicojack; 05-21-2008 at 02:53 AM. Reason: add P.S.
05-21-2008, 02:58 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ricosuave Quote
i'm thinking about the da21 for a wide angle but would like some opinions in regard to the performance against a 12-24.

the other option in waiting for the da15 limited to come out.
I bought this even though it is well within the range of my Sigma 17-70 (which I love). From what I've seen, it seems that when you go below this in FL, the wide angle perspective starts to take over more. This length still seems to keep things wide, but not WIDE (if you know what I mean). (at least with the camera held level)
Brian
05-21-2008, 03:33 AM   #13

Photos: Albums
Beautiful picture. You did a wonderful job of blending. OBTW, I don't think the wires are distracting. They lead your eyes back into the photo if you wander off to the left.
Thanks for sharing,
Brian
Thank you very much. I have gotten used to the wires now myself too (but thought that it would be the first criticism I would get)
05-21-2008, 10:42 AM   #14

You Caught Me!

I don't understand how. I look at the DOF scale printed on the lens and if you stop it down all the way, it goes from infinity to 2'.
Brian

P.S. Nice pictures. Is that you in the second pic? Did you give the camera to someone else to take the photo or were you holding it at arms length?
Yeah, that is me. The pic was taken by my wife, not at arms length but I have done some of that. the DA21 is certainly a good choice for getting a pic without having to look thru the viewfinder. I have also fired away with the camera sitting on the table in a restaurant. Makes for a nice perspective IMHO.
05-21-2008, 12:33 PM   #15
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats on your purchase...
I just bought DA 40 and the 21 is the next one on my list. I guess for me it was the price (40 is cheaper) and distortion (lack of it on DA40) that made me go for 40ltd.
Anyway, keep us posted on shots, and ENJOY