Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2014, 11:06 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: California
Posts: 295
Three-part review of HD Pentax 16-85mm F3.5-5.6ED DC WR (Japanese)

I apologize if this has been posted.
A Japanese camera dealer in Osaka posted a three-part real-world review of the new HD Pentax 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6ED DC WR.
Full size (K-3) images of some shots are available for download. From what I can see, the new HD Pentax is quite a solid performer!

Part I:
HD PENTAX-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6ED DC WR ??????????? ? ??? ????? ?? 2014 - ??????

Part II:
HD PENTAX-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6ED DC WR ??????????? ? ??? ????? ?? 2014 - ??????

Part III:
??? Isuien Garden ?? 2014 ? HD PENTAX-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6ED DC WR ?????????? - ??????


Last edited by odyseuss; 11-23-2014 at 11:13 PM.
11-23-2014, 11:54 PM   #2
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,294
I've tried to find full-sized photos made in daytime but I found only this
http://www.yaotomi.co.jp/blog/walk/assets_c/2014/11/朝護孫子寺%2C紅葉%28PK3_0093%2C...mi_-58309.html

http://www.yaotomi.co.jp/blog/walk/assets_c/2014/11/朝護孫子寺%2C紅葉%28PK3_0069%2C...mi_-58315.html


http://www.yaotomi.co.jp/blog/walk/assets_c/2014/11/依水園%2C紅葉%28PK3_0701%2CF1...mi_-58507.html

http://www.yaotomi.co.jp/blog/walk/assets_c/2014/11/依水園%2C紅葉%28PK3_0729%2CF1...mi_-58522.html

Is it all?

I can't say that it's solid. It's rather mediocre level. No resolution at all.

Last edited by ogl; 11-24-2014 at 01:00 AM.
11-24-2014, 12:08 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
K David's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SF Bay Area
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,316
I wish Ricoh had picked a different ring color than red. All their lenses look line Canon lenses. Green would have been a much better choice. (I know ... the Pentax logo is usually red.)
11-24-2014, 12:26 AM - 1 Like   #4
HYS
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 308
QuoteOriginally posted by odyseuss Quote
I apologize if this has been posted.
A Japanese camera dealer in Osaka posted a three-part real-world review of the new HD Pentax 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6ED DC WR.
Full size (K-3) images of some shots are available for download. From what I can see, the new HD Pentax is quite a solid performer!

Part I:
HD PENTAX-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6ED DC WR ??????????? ? ??? ????? ?? 2014 - ??????

Part II:
HD PENTAX-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6ED DC WR ??????????? ? ??? ????? ?? 2014 - ??????

Part III:
??? Isuien Garden ?? 2014 ? HD PENTAX-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6ED DC WR ?????????? - ??????
Sorry but these pictures don't excel.
Well, very nice colors, but where is this staring resolution?
I hope that just the post is not quality.

11-24-2014, 12:26 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Gray's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cape Town
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 388
Yes, green is unique. Red is "me also".
11-24-2014, 12:39 AM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 1,109
Its FL is really inviting plus the DC motor and the WR feature, the image quality however, is somehow just a push beyond the kit lens,I will not buy this lens.
11-24-2014, 01:30 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,462
QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
I wish Ricoh had picked a different ring color than red. All their lenses look line Canon lenses. Green would have been a much better choice. (I know ... the Pentax logo is usually red.)
QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
Yes, green is unique. Red is "me also".
Are you sure about that?
First, Ricoh's red is very different from Canon's red (it looks better, IMO); and second, green rings AFAIK means "Canon DO lens"
If we keep with the basic colors (which we'll do, because we're men - except if we're programmers, in which case we'll rather talk about RGB values), there's no way Ricoh could find a never-used-before color. Except for black, on a black lens, inscribed with black letters
11-24-2014, 02:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member
eurostar's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Albareto, Italy
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 820
The silver ring of 645 lenses and of the DA10-17 fish eye would be quite elegant.

11-24-2014, 02:52 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
kiwi_jono's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,092
Really nice focal range and the combination of DC, HD coatings and WR would make it a handy lens.

Centre sharpness is pretty good but borders look a bit underwhelming to me.
11-24-2014, 03:00 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
beachgardener's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,084
QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Its FL is really inviting plus the DC motor and the WR feature, the image quality however, is somehow just a push beyond the kit lens,I will not buy this lens.
Somehow nearly always the first images of a lens out of Japan seem to be a bit questionable as to image quality, best wait for others to buy and post images to really see what it is like.
11-24-2014, 03:44 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,122
If the borders are underwhelming even on APS-C already... Then the rumors about this lens being FF format are incorrect.
11-24-2014, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Slovenia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,181
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
If the borders are underwhelming even on APS-C already... Then the rumors about this lens being FF format are incorrect.
There were rumours like this? OMG Pentaxians sure are a wishful bunch... How could anyone think this could ever be a FF lens?!
11-24-2014, 04:18 AM   #13
Pentaxian
LensBeginner's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,623
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
If the borders are underwhelming even on APS-C already... Then the rumors about this lens being FF format are incorrect.
Those were about the other two unmarked lenses on display at Photokina... that could well be a 70-200 f/2.8 and another zoom, both covering FF.
This one is APS-C only and I believe it was clear from the beginning.
11-24-2014, 04:57 AM   #14
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,925
The photos arent that great, but they seem to me like snapshots taken by a newbie (no offense meant) - high contrast with burnt out sky and dark silhouettes, handheld (you can see shake blur).. I wouldnt fault the lens for this, as even a premium zoom would struggle in such conditions. I will say the colours look good and saturated, but that is all we can gleam from this review. We need some tripod shots, taken by someone who wants to make good photos, and not someone who "just wants to use a lens"
11-24-2014, 05:35 AM   #15
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,294
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The photos arent that great, but they seem to me like snapshots taken by a newbie (no offense meant) - high contrast with burnt out sky and dark silhouettes, handheld (you can see shake blur).. I wouldnt fault the lens for this, as even a premium zoom would struggle in such conditions. I will say the colours look good and saturated, but that is all we can gleam from this review. We need some tripod shots, taken by someone who wants to make good photos, and not someone who "just wants to use a lens"
Need some good shots of good photographer in RAW. Even without any tripod.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
16-85mm, 16-85mm f3.5-5.6ed dc, 16mm, camera, center, corners, curvature, dc, f3.5, f3.5-5.6ed dc wr, field, field curvature, hd, issues, k-3, pentax, pentax 16-85mm f3.5-5.6ed, pentax news, pentax rumors, pentax-da, photos, pm, post, shop, shots, wr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HD PENTAX-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6ED DC WR Adam Pentax News and Rumors 917 03-13-2015 12:59 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax DA 18-135 F3.5-5.6ED AL[IF] DC only WR lens Khoff2 Sold Items 3 10-07-2014 08:53 PM
HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR: A Closer Look Adam Homepage & Official Pentax News 10 09-16-2014 08:22 AM
Review of the SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR pinholecam Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 17 10-26-2011 01:08 AM
new smc PENTAX-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] WR DC KeesdH Pentax News and Rumors 227 06-22-2011 03:57 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:51 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top