Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2008, 05:37 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Help with TC

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I am looking for a 2X TC to use with my 43 ltd and fa 50/1.4 for an inexpensive macro solution.

I have found two for sale:

1. Pentax-Takumar 2x TC PK-A/R-PK mount

2. Vivitar 2x TC PK-A/R-PK mount.

My questions are, will these work on my K100D and 1st D without an adapter, and is one better than the other?

Thank you.

Bob

05-21-2008, 08:39 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
BUMP-Anybody?

Bob
05-21-2008, 04:50 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

You want to watch out for anything with and "R" in the description, as that indicates the optic is designed for Ricoh. The Ricoh mount is slightly different and has a slot in the mount which can foul on the AF drive and make the optic difficult/impossible to remove.
Having said that, I have a Takumar 2X converter, nowhere does it say R on it. That would be my choice of the two, since the Vivitar may well be a Ricoh mount, and the Takumar is probably the better of the two anyway.
If you want to play with macro, consider getting a set of extension tubes.
05-22-2008, 06:15 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks!

Bob

05-22-2008, 09:34 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I'll second Wheatfields' suggestion of extension tubes for macro. They can be used on all your lenses and don't have any ill effect on IQ. A typical extension tube set will have a total extension of 60 to 70mm, which will get you beyond 1:1 magnification with a 50mm lens.
05-23-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Any recommendations on an extension tube set?

Bob
05-23-2008, 10:33 AM   #7
Banned

yea any tubes for K mount.

finding a genuine pentax set will be hard and it will be way over priced at the moment. extension tubes are just as they sound they are just plastic tubes with the proper mount for your camera/lens, to extend the distance between the lens and the film/sensor plane. all I can really tell you is get an 'auto' extension tube set for auto diaphragm (which most are) any set will work great when it comes to extension tubes even cheap Chinese sets if you are willing to use those. just remember K mount not an m42, 67 6x7, or 645 mount.

if you don't mind shelling out $110 here is a pentax set. Pentax Auto Extension Tube K Set Genuine Pentax - eBay (item 360050097794 end time Jun-05-08 20:01:32 PDT)

Last edited by séamuis; 05-23-2008 at 10:40 AM.
05-23-2008, 11:54 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Extension tubes aren't really hard to make, but they should have aluminum barrels. I've never seen a plastic extension tube. Anyway, I have a Vivitar auto set that I picked up used for $50, and I also have a Pentax Helicoid tube that, while it loses auto aperture stop down, is still a pretty nifty piece o' gear.
05-23-2008, 08:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was debating on that Pentax set also, but someone said that a 25 dollar set is just as good.
05-24-2008, 05:11 AM   #10
Banned

QuoteQuote:
I was debating on that Pentax set also, but someone said that a 25 dollar set is just as good.
and they are likely very correct. with the recent popularity boom of pentax DSLRS everyone is coming out of the woodwork to take advantage of us and make as much money as possible with used or NOS equipment. that pentax set isn't worth that much money, but just about everything pentax is way overpriced at the moment.