Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2014, 11:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Tamron 28-75: Another Lens Repair Journey

I bought a used Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 from a forum member earlier this year. The sample photos he sent me appeared to be fairly sharp at f/3.2 but my own experience has shown poor IQ at all focal lengths even at f/11. I've gone back and forth about sending it in to Tamron for a non-warranty repair since I'm not sure if I'm being too picky about the IQ, but I finally worked up the nerve to do it. So I plan to document my own repair journey in case anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation.

First I verified that the lens has a valid US serial number. Check (although I probably should have done this before agreeing to buy the lens).

Next I made a DIY GhettoCAL to check for FF/BF at close distance. I then realized the bigger issue is the ghosting that occurs between high contrast areas at greater focusing distances. Here are some sample shots I plan to send in to Tamron, taken from a distance of 20 feet using a tripod and 2-sec self-timer, with no filter.

75mm @ 2.8

100% crop

28mm @ 2.8
[

100% crop (note the fuzzy masonry)

I don't really want to send my camera in with the lens since the holidays are coming up, and Tamron claims it's not necessary. Any thoughts or advice before I send this lens in for service?

11-24-2014, 12:39 PM   #2
Forum Member

Hi,
The first thing to ascertain is whether the lens is well centered at F2.8 @○ all FLs using distant views of trees etc to check whether the lens has equal sharpness left and right/top and bottom. The test you show here is taken outside in full sunlight onto a white/black test card, this is a very demanding test of contrast of which many lenses would struggle, lens testing sites would be shooting indoors at resolution charts. The Tamron 24-75 2.8 is a very good lens but I would expect a certain amount of fringing/veilling fully open, try the test in cloudier conditions., stopping down should also reduce these problems considerably. Also run a series of tests to see if the AF is spot on, although it doesn't look far out here. So far I'm not seeing anything terrible!
11-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you done any AF test to see if its spot on (test chart at angle etc)? Looking at those test shot it looks like it might be front focussing a little bit - look at book and table. Worth doing a test focussing with Liveview and comparing results.
09-04-2015, 12:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just came across this thread while searching for help on my 28-75mm that is acting up today. Did you send yours to Tamron? What'd they do, and how much did it cost?

09-07-2015, 03:24 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I just came across this thread while searching for help on my 28-75mm that is acting up today. Did you send yours to Tamron? What'd they do, and how much did it cost?
While I don't have the 28-75, I have a 70-200 that I bought used off of craigslist, and while it was decently OK, it was decentered on the right lower corner of the frame - the joys of buying used.

Eventually, I got enough money put aside to have it sent to their NY repair shop - cost about $225, not including shipping, and they fixed it in about 3 days. Part of the service included an CLA as well.

So far so good, and the lens is sharp across the frame now.
09-07-2015, 05:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the input. I figured it would be cost prohibitive to have it repaired, and your experience helps confirm that.