Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2014, 12:37 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used CLR, they're very good and have a great variety for Pentax.

11-26-2014, 12:57 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I recently completed a collection of Prime lenses that fill needs I wanted based on what I've shot over the past 10 years with zoom lenses. I'm very landscape and street photography oriented for shooting, so my collection of primes emphasizes the wide end of things. But, I basically chose to have a 21 mm, 30 mm, and 43 mm lens to cover that range. I don't personally need a 24 mm or 28 mm lens or even a 35 mm lens in my collection because I know I can cover the range adequately for my needs. Too many lenses, and I would have too much choice. As it is, zoom lenses are still useful, and I rely on a wide angle lens to get down to 10 mm and a telephoto to get to 300 mm for the instances where I need that.
thanks so much for sharing your experience I'm gonna think about my own set now
11-26-2014, 05:18 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Even if they have a similar focal length, there is still aperture. And even if aperture is similar, there is image quality. Resolution, CA, distortion, vignetting, bokeh, contrast, colours... So not only will you change lenses for 2mm, you will also change it for "different-looking image." Or you might choose to pack a different lens because it is 100g lighter and 2cm shorter! Or WR, or silent focusing! Many things to consider!
Primes might not make sense in theory, but they make sense in practice. You have to try them to see!

That being said, zoom lenses have come a long way and are now serious competition against primes. Especially when looking at ones like the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8, and the previous Sigma 8-16mm. These give primes a run for their money! But they are big!
11-28-2014, 06:47 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
That being said, zoom lenses have come a long way and are now serious competition against primes. Especially when looking at ones like the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8, and the previous Sigma 8-16mm. These give primes a run for their money! But they are big!
yeah, I've seen many reviews and photos of Sigma lens, they make superb lens recently (especially with the Art series), and yeah, they are huge !!! I've try the Sigma 35mm Art 1.4, build like a tank, heavy like a tank !

11-28-2014, 07:09 AM   #20
Pentaxian

There are 88 keys on a piano, though you might not use them all for any particular song.
11-28-2014, 07:13 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
There are 88 keys on a piano, though you might not use them all for any particular song.
there are only 6 strings on a guitar and you can play any song
11-28-2014, 08:34 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
True, but the strings still require tuning, the guitar has to be a good build, and so on! Of course, it is all useless in the wrong hands

11-28-2014, 10:52 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
But think of all the chords you don't play when playing a three chord song.
11-28-2014, 10:05 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
But think of all the chords you don't play when playing a three chord song.
And all the songs you can play when playing a single four chord song:
11-29-2014, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

I thought of my trumpet having just three valves but then there are some songs which can be played without using any of those valves. I've no idea what that means for camera lenses.