Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2014, 07:41 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To me I think the perfect APS-C kit would be:
Samyang 16/2
Pentax FA 31/1.8
Pentax FA 77/1.8

And no, I don't own any of these. Now I just have cheap glass.

11-26-2014, 08:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

If you want the perfect lens kit, just buy what I have in my sig....lol...JK

But for real though. Look at what type of photography you do the most and invest more of your money into the focal ranges that suit your needs.
I do mostly portraiture so I got all of the FA limiteds, DA*55 and the helios for when I want funky swirly bokeh. I rarely go birding so a DA*300 would be a ridiculous purchase. So the DA55-300 is good enough in the rare occasion I need a longer zoom and it was cheap enough that it wouldn't take away resources to purchase higher end lenses in the ranges I actually use.
11-26-2014, 09:10 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GateCityRadio Quote
If you want the perfect lens kit, just buy what I have in my sig....lol...JK

But for real though. Look at what type of photography you do the most and invest more of your money into the focal ranges that suit your needs.
I do mostly portraiture so I got all of the FA limiteds, DA*55 and the helios for when I want funky swirly bokeh. I rarely go birding so a DA*300 would be a ridiculous purchase. So the DA55-300 is good enough in the rare occasion I need a longer zoom and it was cheap enough that it wouldn't take away resources to purchase higher end lenses in the ranges I actually use.
I like the way you think... get great lenses in the range you will use more...

I should get the FA 31, since normal is my most used FL! Yeah my wife will go for that...
11-26-2014, 09:16 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
If you don't like my choices of lenses, maybe we should be asking why someone can put together a "No compromise" kit and feel it outperforms most lens throughout the Pentax lineup? I'm not the first one to decry the lack of balance in the Pentax lineup, and I'm not the first to be unhappy with it's SDM performance.
There is no "no compromise" kit. The compromise you made going for the Tamron 17-50 is, it's not water resistant, and it's screw drive. My 18-135 is WR and very fast focusing DC. I have the choice of either and I take the 18-135 most of the time. There is simply no major camera manufacturer that is different than Pentax. There was a video I posted recently where a photographer compared the Tamron 70-200 to Nikon and Canon offerings. it compared quite favourably. Except it didn't feel quite as well made, but optically is was right up there. That's the way it is with 3rd party glass. They give people cheaper options. o much of what you're talking about you could insert the name of any camera company, and it would be true. Look through DxO and you going the Tamron 90 macro and Sigma 105 are really highly rated, on every platform, it's not just Pentax that you can swap in 3rd party lenses and save a lot of money. That's what third party manufacturers do. But, and this is where your argument to me falls short.... my photography instructor once said "find the lens you love and buy the system that goes with it". I guess you're saying what was special for you was your K-1000. But that's along time in the past now, from my perspective.

11-26-2014, 09:20 PM   #20
Pentaxian

To the OP...everyone has their opinion.....
11-26-2014, 10:01 PM   #21
MSL
Pentaxian

Not going to wade too much into the debate, but the one shortcoming in your original list is the lack of anything really fast and thus also with narrow depth of field. 50mm may not be as perfect on an APS-C body as FF, but I always have fun shooting with my 50/1.7 or Tak 50/1.4

I guess I might also quibble on your macro choice. There are macro lenses from 35mm to 105mm commonly in use, with a real practical difference of how close you need to be to the object to focus on it.
11-27-2014, 12:56 AM - 1 Like   #22
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm enjoying this.

Nomadkng's post was prompted by the "Please help me choose a lens" threads. But the first response in those threads is always, "What do you want to shoot?", followed by "Indoors or outdoors?", "How much do you want to spend?", "How much weight are you prepared to carry?", "Do you want the versatility of a zoom or the (usually) higher IQ and reduced weight and bulk of a prime?" and "What other lenses do you have?".

The list assumes a set of answers to those questions: I want to shoot a bit of everything, indoors and outdoors (but I don't care too much about WR), I am prepared to spend a reasonable amount but there are limits, I don't care too much about weight, I like primes but generally prefer the convenience of a zoom if I don't lose too much IQ, I want a whole kit covering 10-500mm.

A different set of answers would invite a completely different kit, eg
- I want to travel light
- I never shoot wide angle/long tele/macro/sports/portraits [delete whichever is inapplicable]
- I have a very limited budget/unlimited budget
- I want inconspicuous lenses
- I want to shoot in the rain/I only shoot indoors
etc.

Work out the question before working out the answer!

11-27-2014, 01:32 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Loved reading this my comments on a few lenses that I used

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 - Yes it's 5.6 but this is a landscape lens and if you are shooting below f8 you are doing something wrong.
Somehow I was disappointed by this lens. I used two versions of this lens, Pentax and Nikon mount, and the experience has been same - there was something missing, not as sharp at infinity especially when shooting distant objects with a lots of details like trees/leaves. Shown it to Sigma center and they said everything is fine. Later I moved to Sony and I compared it with Sigma 19mm (on NEX) or even lowly rated Sony 16mm, both outperformed it by good margin.

Tamron 17-50 f2.8 - I have owned the sigma 17-70, sigma 17-50, sigma 20-40, pentax fa20-35, da15, da40, fa35 all in this focal length. The Tamron wins for flare control + sharpness + diffraction control + versatility + price. This is really where my zoom bias comes into play. Honorable Mention goes to the Sigma 18-35, but it's an $800 lens and I'm not sure one can get 2-3x as much quality out of it.
+1, loved this lens.

Sigma 50-150 f2.8 - I know it's not fair to include a discontinued lens, but I have owned the DA*50-135 and this lens blows it away in focusing and reliability. IQ is equal. Sorry Pentax but until you put a DC motor in the 50-135, it's not even a contest. Instead of the 50-135 I'd even recommend the next lens on this list.
I always wanted this but couldn't get hold of it. Eventually got 50-135, as you said, SDM is definitely a fear but loved it otherwise.

Tamron 70-200 f2.8 - Only lens in this range available for Pentax shooters since Sigma is discontinued, and I much preferred Sigma, but the Tamron is not bad. It's not in my bag, but would be if I needed it. It beats out the 60-250 because of the extra stop and I just don't trust SDM.
This is another great lens, unfortunately mine never seen much usage due to the weight. Any reason why you prefer Sigma over it?
11-27-2014, 01:46 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I'm trying to tailor my ideal lens set based on where I am going.

If I'm carrying a small bag, I'll take my DA15, FA 31, and DFA100, and the 55-300. That should cover everything, wide, normal, tele and macro.

Indoor parties, taking casual snapshots, etc. I'll take the FA 43 and the 18-135.

In places where I know I'll take a lot of portraits, out comes the FA31 and the FA 77 (and soon the DA55).

Out in "dangerous" places, I call on the DA35/2.4, K55 1.8 and 70-210. Easier to replace (cost-wise), and in the case of K55 and 70-210, built like a tank.
11-27-2014, 04:18 AM   #25

What I love about this forum is that there will always be hotly contested debates. As mentioned, each lens is a compromise. There is no ideal lens for everyone. More important to me than the lens is the reason why the lens is chosen.

Personally, while sharpness and IQ are things I strive for, quite honestly the most important visual beauty of my keepers is more to do with the composition of them than the ultimate sharpness. I have sharp photographically "perfect" photos that are horrid. I have softly focused photos that have very pleasing compositions that make me proud of what I have achieved.

Well done nomadkng for stating your very subjective reasons for your lens choice. I agree with many of your observations but reserve the right to disagree with the rest of your observations too! Thanks too all the rest for all the constructive debate!

I love my Sigma 10-20, my DA18-135 (with all its faults, apparently), my Sigma 70 macro and my DA*60-250. I have a FA50 and a DA35 f2.4 but enjoy my zooms more. Perhaps I need to enter the limited range once my ship sails in!
11-27-2014, 04:19 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anybody?

Well, I can hardly resist chiming in on this. Maybe that's the idea, eh?
Any 'set' of conditions, whether it's versatility, WR, I.Q., weight, fast max aperture, etc, will generate a different set of optimum lenses.
If you dismiss great primes (too much trouble changing lenses, ahem, we are discussing ILC's, right?) because they're not versatile, SDM because it's not (or, wasn't) reliable and WR because you don't need it, fast modern zooms that are competitive in price with 3rd party lenses, you pretty much eliminate Pentax altogether.
In the same way, one could say entry-level bodies without 'crippling' on needed features is the priority, right? There goes Canikon, Pentax wins that one hands down.
Also, dismissing legacy lenses out of hand (why?) isn't exactly fair when you mention the 50-150 or 300mm f/4.5, either. Pretty selective, that bit.
Sounds more like a reason to slag Pentax because they're not Tamron or Sigma.
No, they're not. Get over it.
JMO,
Ron
11-27-2014, 04:31 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Sounds more like a reason to slag Pentax because they're not Tamron or Sigma.
Ron I think you are missing the point. While having the full range of the best lenses Pentax makes might be ideal for some, it might not be the best solution for the pocket of each user. There are many reasons to use Pentax without being a fanboy. One can still make use of the features of the camera without buying the best lens. There are advantages and disadvantages to both primes and zooms; original lenses and 3rd party lenses; WR is a nice feature, but it is not always essential; and so the list goes on.
11-27-2014, 05:35 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have two kits that I use. One is simple -- DA *16-50 and 50-135 when I need flexibility. The other is a set of primes when I want the "real Pentax experience" and that would be the DA 15 limited, FA 31 limited, DA *55, FA 77 limited and the DFA 100 macro. I do own the DA *200, but I don't use it much. My wife uses it some when shooting weddings and I break it out when we go to the zoo, but otherwise, it stays in the cabinet.

I don't shoot ultra wide. If I did, the Sigma 8-16mm is what I would choose. From everything I have seen, it is the sharpest lens with the least distortion in that range. All the ultra wide zooms are prone to flare, so you just have to deal with that.
11-27-2014, 05:43 AM - 3 Likes   #29
Veteran Member

I am shocked that no one has suggested the DA 560mm f5.6 as a solid choice for an everyday walkaround lens.
11-27-2014, 07:31 AM   #30
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
I am shocked that no one has suggested the DA 560mm f5.6 as a solid choice for an everyday walkaround lens.
It works well, but it can be hard to hold the camera in one hand an manually focus the lens in low light situations