Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2014, 11:13 AM   #1

Blackfriday lens to add to kit set

So I have the k50 kit with the two lens. I shoot a lot of different scenes from landscape and city scares to close ups of objects in urban environments. I don't really take any portraits. Lately any time I want to go shoot its dark out so I feel like a sense with a lower aperture might be a good idea. I see that there are a lot of ones on sale right now but at most I would probably only want to spend 500 or so depending on how good the lens would be.

So what would everyone recommend for one lens to add to my beginners kit or maybe a couple cheaps ones and can explain why I should have those over the kit lens? Im considering the Pentax 50-300mm WR just to replace my 50-200wr with a longer soon thats still wr for washington weather.

If there is a thread that would be good for me to look at thats not overly stuffed with details Id appreciate it, Im still pretty new so its hard for me to decipher many of these posts

Her is a link to my flickr incase anyone wants to see what I shoot and give me lens advice that way. Right now i have a cpp for my 18-55wr and its the lens i use 90% of my time. greenneck incase that doesn't work right flickr

11-27-2014, 11:31 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like you need a prime! You can browse the current black friday sale pricing on lenses here:
Black Friday Pentax Lens & Flash Deals (2014) - Deals and Savings | PentaxForums.com

Within that price range I would recommend the:

DA 35mm F2.4
Pentax SMCP-DA 35mm f/2.4 AL Wide Angle AF Lens #21987 21987

HD HD 40mm F2.8
Pentax HD Pentax DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited Lens (Black) 21390 B&H

DA 50mm F1.8
Pentax SMCP-DA 50mm f/1.8 Standard Lens 22177

Here's also a nice price on the HD Da 55-300mm, which would be an upgrade over your 50-200mm:
Pentax HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED WR Lens 22270 B&H Photo

See our in-depth reviews and user comments here:
Pentax Lenses | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-27-2014, 11:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Yess, what Adam said! DA 35mm for a good all around lens, normal focal length, very sharp, fast AF. DA 50mm f1.8 for low light photography and portraiture. DA 40mm ltd if you want a more premium lens, HD is the latest lens coatings. DA 40mm XS if you want a more budget version of the DA 40mm ltd.
On the other hand, the DA 55-300mm is great bang for buck, nobody can fault you for getting it. Its probably the best way to get AF 300mm without spending over $1000
11-27-2014, 12:43 PM   #4

Original Poster
I have a smc pentax m 1:17 50mm from my k1000 would I get any benefit out of figuring out how to shoot with this lens or should I still look into a 35 or 50?

Also any idea how much I could sell my current 50-200 for to recoup some of the cost or a benefit to keeping it?

11-27-2014, 01:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You could buy the 35mm 2.4, that is quite cheap, and the 55-300. Then, you could sell the 50-200 to take back some money. Just my opinion.
11-27-2014, 01:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you want close ups then consider the DA 35ltd macro.
11-27-2014, 01:40 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
If you want close ups then consider the DA 35ltd macro.

Is that the same as a DA 35mm F2.4 that adam showed me?

I think I like the 35 length and I shoot many of my photos close to that. Im going to look through my pictures and see if there is a certain focus length I tend to gravitate to.

Ill likely get the 35 of some sort just because I would like a lens to shoot in Seattle at night where I have to be close to big things and it would be nice to rely a little less on being able to fit a tripod on the side walk.

I looked through several of my different shoots and I see many many pictures at 18mm because its the least zoomed my sense get me. A majority of my shots are from 18-around 25 is. It seems like I try to take wide angle shots because I want my pictures to look how I see things myself. Im not sure if I should look for a lens more in that area or try shooting at 35 and 40 for a while and see what I come up with

Last edited by Greenneck; 11-27-2014 at 02:27 PM. Reason: added detail
11-27-2014, 02:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Greenneck Quote
So I have the k50 kit with the two lens. I shoot a lot of different scenes from landscape and city scares to close ups of objects in urban environments. I don't really take any portraits. Lately any time I want to go shoot its dark out so I feel like a sense with a lower aperture might be a good idea. I see that there are a lot of ones on sale right now but at most I would probably only want to spend 500 or so depending on how good the lens would be.

So what would everyone recommend for one lens to add to my beginners kit or maybe a couple cheaps ones and can explain why I should have those over the kit lens? Im considering the Pentax 50-300mm WR just to replace my 50-200wr with a longer soon thats still wr for washington weather.

If there is a thread that would be good for me to look at thats not overly stuffed with details Id appreciate it, Im still pretty new so its hard for me to decipher many of these posts

Her is a link to my flickr incase anyone wants to see what I shoot and give me lens advice that way. Right now i have a cpp for my 18-55wr and its the lens i use 90% of my time. greenneck incase that doesn't work right flickr
Add 200$ more to get FA 31mm Limited new at $773.

smcP FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited (Black) | Pentax Webstore

Last edited by starjedi; 11-27-2014 at 02:48 PM.
11-27-2014, 02:47 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is that the same as a DA 35mm F2.4 that adam showed me?
No, not the same lens.
The 35 2.4 is a plastic budget lens that has good reviews and is cheap.
The 35 2.8 Ltd is a premium lens and is SHARP. (Scored 10 for sharpness in the review) It has the added bonus of being macro, but lots prefer a 100mm macro so insects aren't so intimidated.
11-28-2014, 06:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Landscapes and cityscapes and closeups of objects in an urban environment = DA 21mm Limited.
No other lens will cover your requirements nearly as well in your budget I think.
11-29-2014, 02:29 AM   #11

Photos: Albums
I have a smc pentax m 1:17 50mm from my k1000 would I get any benefit out of figuring out how to shoot with this lens or should I still look into a 35 or 50?
Yes! That's a great lens, and the experience you will gain by shooting with a manual focus manual exposure lens will help your photography a lot. The M series of lenses will require stop down metering in manual mode. Essentially, you set the aperature, aim at what you want metered and hit the green button, your camera will set a shutter speed to match, (taking into account of the set ISO). Info on the previous is easily found on this forum.