Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-29-2014, 03:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Worth Taking a Risk on the DA 20-40 Limited?

I've only a couple of days to act but I've been tempted by the sub-$700 Black Friday price on the DA 20-40mm Limited. I'm sure we won't see it this cheap again for a while. But the very mixed and highly uneven reviews (both professional and user) lead me to believe that this is a great lens with a very real quality control problem. Perhaps I'm wrong and it's a case of "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder." But what do my fellow Pentaxians think? Is this lens worth taking a risk on while I already own all of the DA Limited primes and the DA 16-45mm zoom?

11-29-2014, 03:53 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
I've only a couple of days to act but I've been tempted by the sub-$700 Black Friday price on the DA 20-40mm Limited. I'm sure we won't see it this cheap again for a while. But the very mixed and highly uneven reviews (both professional and user) lead me to believe that this is a great lens with a very real quality control problem. Perhaps I'm wrong and it's a case of "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder." But what do my fellow Pentaxians think? Is this lens worth taking a risk on while I already own all of the DA Limited primes and the DA 16-45mm zoom?
The lens is rather good at most focal lengths, just a tad soft at 40mm. If you like the proposition of a compact premium zoom lens, though, then I'd give it a go!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-29-2014, 03:53 PM   #3

I was thinking from all the reviews that it appears to be a good lens. However the downside is that it's big. I already have a 31mm and 43mm prime and will be getting a 21mm (and 15mm) soon. If I didn't have those lenses I'd consider that zoom.
11-29-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Big? Really? Most other DSLR makers don't have any zoom close to as small as it except the standard kit lenses.

11-29-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you seen these images?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/247859-da-limited-zoom-club.html
11-29-2014, 04:40 PM   #6

I'm referring to physical size.

Thought about the other reason. Lens creep. When shooting up or down zoom lenses have a tendency to slide out or in changing the focal length. I'm not sure if this lens exhibits this characteristic but I'd consider that too.

I haven't used my kit lens or my Tamron 18-250 in a long time but I know the Tamron was notorious for that.
11-29-2014, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BlakeShellman Quote
I'm referring to physical size.

Though the other reason I thought about was lens creep. When shooting up or down zoom lenses have a tendency to slide out or in changing the focal length. I'm not sure if this lens exhibits this characteristic but I'd consider that too.

I haven't used my kit lens or my Tamron 18-250 in a long time but I know the Tamron was notorious for that.
Me too and for what it is it's a small lens, you can't brake the laws of physics.
I shot with one recently and just as expected fr such a small short range zoom with WR zoom creep and alike was no issue. The only issue is my wallet prohibiting me from buying one.

11-29-2014, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Here's my "brick wall" test with the 20-40. I think it's a great lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
11-29-2014, 05:37 PM   #9

I just "accidentally" ordered one, I couldn't pass on the ridiculous Black Friday price to at least check it out. I like the idea of a "WR" Limited - should be arriving Thurs!

QuoteOriginally posted by BlakeShellman Quote
I was thinking from all the reviews that it appears to be a good lens. However the downside is that it's big. I already have a 31mm and 43mm prime and will be getting a 21mm (and 15mm) soon. If I didn't have those lenses I'd consider that zoom.
Blake - I might have a brand spankin new black HD 21 to get rid of if I like the 20-40 enough - let me know if you're interested
11-29-2014, 06:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
I don't know how I missed this tread but missed it I did. Thanks for calling it to my attention.

EDIT: Okay... after reviewing these images I've decided to take a chance. I've just ordered a DA 20-40mm Limited from B&H via Adam's link. The price was just too good and I can forgive some faults at $679 that I simply cannot overlook at $1000. I just hope I get one of the good copies. Thank you to everyone for their input.

Last edited by Biro; 11-29-2014 at 08:09 PM.
11-30-2014, 02:46 AM   #11
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The lens is rather good at most focal lengths, just a tad soft at 40mm. If you like the proposition of a compact premium zoom lens, though, then I'd give it a go!
My copy was the sharpest at 40 mm....

---------- Post added 11-30-2014 at 02:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
Here's my "brick wall" test with the 20-40. I think it's a great lens.
do you have full-sized link?

---------- Post added 11-30-2014 at 02:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
avoid DA20-40 if you want to be happy.
11-30-2014, 06:35 AM   #12
Pentaxian

About the only thing that keeps me from buying the DA 20-40 is that I already have several lenses covering that range and I am very happy with all of them so it's something I don't really need. I have seen some fine shots from this lens and if I had not purchased a new Sigma 17-70 a couple of months before the DA 20-40 was released, I might have one in my bag today. But I'm retired now and have to watch what I spend these days so I just can't go out and buy anything I want anymore.
Congrats on the purchase and I hope the lens works out for you.
11-30-2014, 07:53 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
do you have full-sized link?
Yes, full-size here. I think the corners and edges are really good. I did that shot to see those in particular.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8954212@N03/15727919239/sizes/o/
11-30-2014, 08:42 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

" Perhaps I'm wrong and it's a case of "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder."

It IS a beautiful looking lens, one of the best looking in all of Pentax lens line up. Whether it is worth all that money is another story ? I will be taking a chance on this lens myself, but it wont be until next year. As far as reviews, you are right they do seem to go up and down. For example DXo rates this lens pretty low, but what lens in Pentax line up doesn't measure up according to DXo.

On the other hand, ePhotozine rates this lens slightly above average in performance: HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited DC WR Lens Review This lens really seems to shine between 5.6 and f11 where getting good Bokeh is nearly impossible. That too can get aggravating very fast. I have the 16-45mm which is a pretty good lens in itself, however I am often disappointed by the sharp-to-sharp images from foreground to background. The primes do a much better job when it comes to this.

There was also a very good Review by one of our Pentaxians recently that pitted this lens against the famous Pentax 31mm f1.8 Limited and the not so famous but very good Sigma 18-35mm f1.8. According to this Review, the 20-40 not only held it's own, but beat out the competition in several categories.

If I was to purchase this lens I would definitely purchase it from a reputable dealer that allows you to return it in case you get a bad copy. Another good thing this lens got going for it is that it can replace the 21mm f3.2, the 31mm f1.8 and maybe even the 43mm. I'm not saying it would replace the performance of these lenses, but if you want to travel light that is one lens instead of 3. Just imagine the ooh's and aah's you will get when people see this Leica-like precise instrument on your camera !

Speaking for myself I already own the 16-45 and the 35mm Macro, plus I plan to get the second 'Amigo' the 31mm one day, so purchasing the 20-40 is really pushing it when it comes to overlap. Especially if it doesn't take better pictures than those lenses and you got a $1000 hole in your pocket ! However, for the reasons mentioned such as beauty, convenience, plus WR thrown in there, I would say it is worth it. I love primes, but at my age it is not easy getting out of the car and walking around subjects looking for the right angle. This is when a zoom comes in handy. Of course there are more convenient zooms like 16-50mm f 2.8 and the 50-135 f2.8 , but these are large and bulky not the direction I wanted to take when it comes to Pentax lenses.

Last edited by hjoseph7; 11-30-2014 at 09:11 AM.
11-30-2014, 08:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
" Perhaps I'm wrong and it's a case of "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder."

It IS a beautiful looking lens, one of the best looking in all of Pentax lens line up. Whether it is worth all that money is another story ? I will be taking a chance on this lens myself, but it wont be until next year. As far as reviews, you are right they do seem to go up and down. For example DXo rates this lens pretty low, but what lens in Pentax line up doesn't measure up according to DXo.

On the other hand, ePhotozine rates this lens slightly above average in performance: HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited DC WR Lens Review This lens really seems to shine between 5.6 and f11 where getting good Bokeh is nearly impossible. That too can get aggravating very fast. I have the 16-45mm which is a pretty good lens in itself, however I am often disappointed by the sharp-to-sharp images from foreground to background. The primes do a much better job when it comes to this.

There was also a very good Review by one of our Pentaxians recently that pitted this lens against the famous Pentax 31mm f1.8 Limited and the not so famous but very good Sigma 18-35mm f2.8. According to this Review, the 20-40 not only held it's own, but beat out the competition in several categories.

If I was to purchase this lens I would definitely purchase it from a reputable dealer that allows you to return it in case you get a bad copy. Another good thing this lens got going for it is that it can replace the 21mm f3.2, the 31mm f1.8 and maybe even the 43mm. I'm not saying it would replace the performance of these lenses, but if you want to travel light that is one lens instead of 3. Just imagine the ooh's and aah's you will get when people see this Leica-like precise instrument on your camera !

Speaking for myself I already own the 16-45 and the 35mm Macro, plus I plan to get the second 'Amigo' the 31mm one day, so purchasing the 20-40 is really pushing it when it comes to overlap. Especially if it doesn't take better pictures than those lenses and you got a $1000 hole in your pocket ! However, for the reason mentioned such as beauty, convenience, plus WR thrown in there, I would say it is worth it. I love primes, but at my age it is not easy getting out of the car and walking around subjects looking for the right angle. This is when a zoom comes in handy. Of course there are more convenient zooms like 16-50mm f 2.8 and the 50-135 f2.8 , but these are large and bulky not the direction I wanted to take when it comes to Pentax lenses.
Well, I bought from B&H so returns aren't a problem. Like many, I would question this purchase at $1000. But for $679, it's another story. I have all of the DA Limited primes and will continue to use them. But, even with those small lenses, sometimes you don't want to carry anything extra and the 20-40 covers the focal range of three DA Limiteds.