Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-29-2014, 04:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SMC DA 21mm vs. Samyang 24mm f1.4?

I can no longer ignore the gap between 14mm and 28mm in my lineup, but I want an affordable solution. I think I can get a deal on a "new" SMC DA 21mm. Its a limited, so contrasty, fast AF, tiny pancake. On the other hand is the big, big Samyang 24mm f1.4. No AF, but lab reviews rate it highly, and it is f1.4 (But it is a little difficult to find in Pentax mount lately)
Does anyone have both lenses? Is one just superior over the other? I am planning on using it on APSC, for walk-around, street, some indoor and landscape photography.
Any thoughts, ideas, and sample photos are appreciated

11-29-2014, 04:47 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the DA 21 and it is excellent. The slower aperture is really not such a problem in a lens this wide since normally what I am after with it is depth of field. On the other hand my DA 15 has a disabled AF which is not a real problem due to the tremendous depth of field making it easy to have in focus. So does that mean the Samyang would be fine without AF. Hard to tell. I am very much in favor of size over speed so I think I would always go with the DA 21. But I am sure you already know all of this.
11-29-2014, 04:51 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I can no longer ignore the gap between 14mm and 28mm in my lineup, but I want an affordable solution. I think I can get a deal on a "new" SMC DA 21mm. Its a limited, so contrasty, fast AF, tiny pancake. On the other hand is the big, big Samyang 24mm f1.4. No AF, but lab reviews rate it highly, and it is f1.4 (But it is a little difficult to find in Pentax mount lately)
Does anyone have both lenses? Is one just superior over the other? I am planning on using it on APSC, for walk-around, street, some indoor and landscape photography.
Any thoughts, ideas, and sample photos are appreciated
Apples and oranges IMO- a tiny lens vs a big but fast lens. I would base my decision of the importance of AF and small size.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-29-2014, 05:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
But I am sure you already know all of this.
I totally get it, I like small lenses as well! And like Adam said, quite different lenses. But on the other hand, they are in the same FoV range and will compete for the same tasks. Difficult to say, because reviews are all over the place.

11-29-2014, 05:31 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

I was a somehow similar situation about 6 months ago. I need a relatively wide lens (~24mm) and fast. I consider seriously the Samyang 24mm f1.4 and Pentax FA*24mm f2. (The DA21mm Ltd was not on my list because it was not fast enough.) At the end, I bought the Carl Zeiss 28mm f2 Distagon (Carl Zeiss 28mm F2 ZK Distagon T* Lens Reviews - Carl Zeiss Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database). I am happy with my decision because I needed very specifically a sharp and fast lens, and I love the solidity of the CZ.

I think that you need to consider if you need a fast lens. Next do you need AF?

If you need Fast and AF, the FA*24mm might be an option

If you need Fast and do not care about AF, the Samyang and CZ are two options.

If you do not need a fast lens, the DA21mm Ltd is a very good option IMHO.

Unless LBA strikes ....

My 5 cents.

Last edited by hcc; 11-29-2014 at 05:36 PM.
11-29-2014, 06:28 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The gap between 24mm and 28mm is probably as close as a 16mm would be to your 14mm - in real world use. In other words, a bit too close. I'd go for the 21 for that reason alone... The other option is the FA or A 20 2.8, said to be wonderful.
11-30-2014, 07:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have the 21mm Limited, and I'm thinking of getting the Samyang 24mm as well. They'd occupy two completely different slots for me-- tiny walkaround lens vs. astrophotography. BTW, does anyone know if the Samyang is on Black Friday sale anywhere?

11-30-2014, 11:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have the DA21 and this one has good color rendering, very small size and correct price. All in all this a good lens and I know that many time I would not consider a big lense as an alternative.

Still, the border sharpness are sometime a little disapointing... that shared with DA15 and this is a problem from time to time. That why I looked too for other alternatives, but there no real better alternative that is that small.

As for the focal lens, this is a difficult one. 21 for me will get more shoots for sure, very true for architecture for example. But I have the feeling that overall 24mm has a little less distorsion and is very interresting too.

I didn't manage to really conclude myself I brought DA21 but, satisfyed but not 100%. I would have liked to have the same DA21 but with perfect sharpness. Even something bigger but still small... Don't care of f/1.4... But apparently there mostly nothing in between.
11-30-2014, 12:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The DA 21/3.2 is a wonderful lens--warm, contrasty, and sharp. I haven't tried the Samyang, but 24mm may be a little long for a wide angle on APS-C, and f1.4 is a bit superfluous for such a purpose in my opinion (though I do lust for their 85/1.4). Plus, the Samyang is manual focus and huge.

So unless you need the speed and shallow depth of field, or unless you need full frame coverage, go for the Pentax. It truly is a Limited.
11-30-2014, 12:11 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some people like focusing manually, I do occasionally when the light is good and I have the time, but when you start losing pictures because you did not focus right or could not focus fast enough the novelty quickly wears out.
11-30-2014, 02:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hm thanks for the comments. Good points. I am still a little torn, though. I emailed the stores to ask what prices they offer me on SMC 21mm (one store still has the SMC in stock) and Samyang 24mm. Maybe this will make it easier.
Samyang being so big is the main concern, and its not as affordable as some of the other Samyang lenses.
11-30-2014, 07:18 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I have been thinking of the da 21 and a samyang... But a different one. The 16mm f2
If you are looking at 24mm why not the FA*24/f2? Unless they are real pricey where you are...
12-01-2014, 10:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
lol they offered me both lenses for the exact same price! So it comes down to wider, AF, pancake, contrasty vs. f1.4, longer, high resolution, but MF and big.
12-01-2014, 11:09 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
lol they offered me both lenses for the exact same price! So it comes down to wider, AF, pancake, contrasty vs. f1.4, longer, high resolution, but MF and big.
Well it's a no brainer then, isn't it? For the same price, get the Limited!
12-01-2014, 11:23 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I like small and compact.
I just picked up the HD 21 limited in silver on fleabay for $390. in like new condition and love it. It is really sharp! I also like the way the silver lens contrasts on my black bodies.
I can't speak for the Samyang because I don't own it.

took this on Thursday, very sunny conditions.
HD 21 limited