Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2014, 11:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

How to find K-mount to FD adapter?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

My Father has a lot of FD mount (film era) lens. I want to let him borrow one of my K-30s and use these lens in full manual. I have seen some FD to K mount adapters, what should I look for to ensure it'll work well? Is this a good option:

US New Canon FD Mount Lens to Pentax K PK Mount Adapter with Optical Glass | eBay

11-29-2014, 11:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look for one that is made of steel, not plastic or aluminum.
There really aren't that many options. I wish I could recommend one, but I haven't found one yet that looks like it would last.
11-30-2014, 02:31 AM   #3

You're not going to find them made from stainless steel unless you want to pay the premium prices (up to hundreds of dollars) that Novoflex charges. Novaflex does not make a Canon FD to Pentax K adapter. Stainless steel requires tooling and precision that the makers of these adapters are not willing to put into them. The chromed parts should be make from brass which is what 3rd party lens makers typically use. Brass has the right combinations of machineability, strength and flexibility. It also has self-lubricating properties (moot while the chrome lasts).

An adapter like that should work. Don't expect first class workmanship or materials in it. Be aware that the adapter acts as a slight teleconverter with a slight loss in image quality. And you will have to shoot in Manual stop-down mode.
11-30-2014, 10:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's simply not worth it for most with a FD for Pentax K. Buy one and try it and if you don't like the degraded image quality and teleconverting get a cheap Sony, Samsung or similar mirrorless for them.

11-30-2014, 10:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IMHO, it is not worth it... as the image will likely degrade - since you do need a glass to account for the flange difference. OTOH, you can use k-mount lenses on Canon camera without much problem.
11-30-2014, 11:15 AM   #6
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
It's simply not worth it for most with a FD for Pentax K. Buy one and try it and if you don't like the degraded image quality and teleconverting get a cheap Sony, Samsung or similar mirrorless for them.
^^^ this

with a decent mirrorless camera, you should get an evf that has focus magnification, which is a far superior manual focusing experience.