Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2014, 07:32 AM   #1
Forum Member

Focal Brand Lens

Does anyone know who used to make lenses for Kmart, back in the mid-80's? I used to work there around 1984-86, and got a Kmount Pentax lens, that I thought I had given away or lost, but I found it this weekend.

Anyway, just wondering if anybody knew about this lens in particular, and Focal lenses in general - I know somebody had to make them and Kmart just slapped their Focal Brand on them. I probably knew who, but I've long since forgotten! It seems, and I could just be imagining, but it seems that I remember being told back then, that Tokina or Vivitar made them? I know we (when I was at Kmart) used to sell Vivitar flashes, though, I don't know about the Focal brand maker.

It is a 135mm prime focus lens, manual focus, 1:2.8, 55mm filter size with sliding/hidden hood. The only other markings on it say "MC Auto" and "No. 8123918". And it also has "PK" near the base of the focusing ring - which I imaging means Pentax K type mount.

It still looks clean, and as I recall, it worked well and gave me some very satisfactory pictures with my old ME Super back in the day! I'm hoping it works as well with my *ist DS, and I have no reason to doubt it will.

Thanks for any input, absolutely not important, I'm just curious about this old chunk of glass I dug up!

Scott

12-01-2014, 08:00 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That lens sounds a lot like a JC Penny 135/2.8 I own which also has a sliding hood and a 55mm filter thread. The research I did on mine turned up several manufacturers that made 135's with the JCP label but the sliding hood models were made by Chinon. A little Google searching should turn up the information you seek.
12-01-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

There were many sources for house-brand lenses and similarity of physical appearance is no indication of origin. If two lenses are identical except for the name on the face ring, they probably came from the same factory. Similar grips, filter size, minimum focus distance, etc. is more likely an indication of convergent evolution rather than family resemblance.

With Focal and other off-brand lenses the goal is to have fun and not worry about pedigree. There are no secret "genius" lenses, though most are fairly good and there are a few cult classics. You might be interested in the Off-Brand Lens Club.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/31353-off-brand-club.html

Steve
12-01-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
Pentaxian

A picture of the lens would help. They probably used different suppliers at different times.
The only Focal lens I have is a 28mm f2.8 that I use with my film minolta. Ive never used it on digital but on film it's pretty good! Sharp wide open and pleasing colors. Mine was made by Makina (Makinon was their house brand). Makina ha hits and some misses, from what I can tell. But your lens could be a different supplier.

12-05-2014, 08:28 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
A picture of the lens would help. They probably used different suppliers at different times.
The only Focal lens I have is a 28mm f2.8 that I use with my film minolta. Ive never used it on digital but on film it's pretty good! Sharp wide open and pleasing colors. Mine was made by Makina (Makinon was their house brand). Makina ha hits and some misses, from what I can tell. But your lens could be a different supplier.
Okay, I took a couple of pics, maybe you can tell something about it?
Scott
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
XT1080  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
XT1080  Photo 
12-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Astronomersmith Quote
Okay, I took a couple of pics, maybe you can tell something about it?
Scott
I'm not 100% sure but I think it's a Makinon (Makina). As I said, they did a lot of the Focal lenses and that's what my Focal 28mm 2.8 is. The style of the fonts and the lens in general is very similar to my 28mm.

This is the actual Makinon brand lens, that they sold under their own name. The bottom exterior part of the lens is different but you can tell it's the same barrel and shape.

I haven't had one but it's supposed to be a pretty good lens! Show us some pics taken with it when you can