Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2008, 04:19 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I guess one BIG thing to consider is the price of the DA 21 vs the FA* 24.

Like it or not, the FA* 24 has got a mixed reputation. Some say their copy is very good while there are others who say the corners are soft and some would say the lens doesn't deserve the * moniker. But this is really splitting hairs as I have seen great shots from it.

To me the FOV is what matters and in this regards the DA 21 is a little more useful, especially for street and candids where a small compact lens that doesn't call attention is important. It may not be very fast aperture wise but it has a good even performance, and it's waaaay cheaper too.

10-02-2008, 08:45 PM   #17
Inactive Account

I've used my FA* 24mm on film with great satisfaction and have started to test it out on my K10D. I've noticed that auto-focus is a bit finicky but that's something I'll probably get used to.

Judging from this thread, it sounds like there's quite a few owners out there; anyone own the 24mm *and* a 31mm Ltd? Which do you prefer?

A test shot while I was at work; yes, I took my camera with me...

FA* 24mm | 1/45 @ F2.8 | ISO 200

Last edited by legacyb4; 10-02-2008 at 11:20 PM.
10-03-2008, 01:32 PM   #18
MrA

boarderline off topic, but if the FA 24/2.0 is being considered an *available light* lens, i find myself wondering whether the sigma 24mm f1.8 would also be in the running. Can't find a direct comparison anywhere though.
10-03-2008, 01:35 PM   #19
Veteran Member

people have a love / hate relationship w/ Sigma wides
they are heavy, prone to QC issues, not the best performers in the corners

FM Reviews - 24mm f1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro
some full size samples Sigma Lenses on Pixel-Peeper

10-03-2008, 02:22 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
Photozone tested and reviewed both of these lenses on a K10D, and the DA21 outperformed the FA24 handily - the edge performance of the FA is reported there as being 'dismal'. The FA24 has been found to be excellent on film, so it apparently has issues with digital sensors.
Yup, it's simply awful, images basically unusable...

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Fa* 24mm f2 is more of a protrait lens, focusing on wider aperture with good bokeh.
If you like great big noses and distorted headshapes at the edge - it's a wide angle lens! Even on digital with the crop factor...

It does have nice bokeh, and with a reversal ring, does about 4:1 macro!

Incredible lens - at f8, it's sharp from 1.5 feet to infinity, you don't even have to focus. One of the best ever. And for quite a while in the late 90's, it was the fastest 24mm in the slr realm, till Canon had to beat it just to say they did. Their lens is faster, but certainly not 'better'.

Cheers,
Cameron
10-04-2008, 06:10 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Looks good your shots.

I did own both and they are two different lenses.
The FA31ltd is an absolutely steller normal prime on the Pentax digital bodies, whiile the FA*24 is a Standard wide angle in terms of focal lengths.

Two completely different lenses, buth both excellent.

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
I've used my FA* 24mm on film with great satisfaction and have started to test it out on my K10D. I've noticed that auto-focus is a bit finicky but that's something I'll probably get used to.

Judging from this thread, it sounds like there's quite a few owners out there; anyone own the 24mm *and* a 31mm Ltd? Which do you prefer?

A test shot while I was at work; yes, I took my camera with me...

FA* 24mm | 1/45 @ F2.8 | ISO 200

10-04-2008, 08:20 AM   #22
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FA*24/2 is some kind of lens with secret. I like it very much...Good resolution at center from f/2. The VERY good at f/4 and above. The corners at APS-C are good from f/5.6.
f/6.3 is outstanding. The bokeh is very special...The colours and contrast are very unusual.
it's photos at the run...
FA24/2 - огл - Участники - Фотогалерея iXBT