Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-01-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pano Bracket ....Looks good.....anyone have input ?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I didnt know where else to post this.
Ive been using a home made pano/nodal bracket for one specific 28mm lens with good results. But its fugly and not adaptable for other lenses.
I found this on Ebay and for $135 bucks looks almost good enough to give it serious consideration.
I just wont spent the $400-700 for a top line branded one.
The camera is mounted in the wrong position in the photo....DUH.
What do you guys think ?
Here is the link..... Pro DSLR Panorama Tripod Ball Head 360 Gimbal Bracket w QR Plant Suitcase | eBay

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 01-16-2015 at 05:40 PM.
12-01-2014, 02:23 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check this review on Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/panoramas/discuss/72157627615247882/
12-01-2014, 03:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Thanks ! You guys are the best ! It got very good reviews overall and now Im on this like "White on Rice" !
Thanks !
I also found this one for an even cheaper price , but it looks like there is NO vertical precision ? Looks ok though for horizontal work......its like $46 and camera is mounted wrong yet again....lol
Here is Ebay link... Pro 360° Swivel DSLR SLR Panoramic Tripod Ball Head Gimbal Bracket Kit for Canon | eBay

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 01-19-2015 at 12:04 AM.
12-02-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The last one looks like it was cut with a dull chain saw. Yeah, it will be cheap.
First one looks simple and inexpensive if you ask me.

12-02-2014, 04:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It makes me wonder if the Chinese actually understand the point of a nodal pano bracket ...
12-02-2014, 04:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
It makes me wonder if the Chinese actually understand the point of a nodal pano bracket ...
I found another not pictured that was wonderful....but upon further inspection noticed the verticle middle section was rotated 90degrees the wrong way ! It was manufactured that way and was useless and had ZERO sales.
Probably will just pick up a HD rail and build one a bit at a time.
12-02-2014, 05:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by az1895 Quote
I found another not pictured that was wonderful....but upon further inspection noticed the verticle middle section was rotated 90degrees the wrong way ! It was manufactured that way and was useless and had ZERO sales.
Probably will just pick up a HD rail and build one a bit at a time.
Have you looked at the Panosaurus ? I have the wooden Mk1 which does all that is required even if you need a big screwdriver to set it up

12-02-2014, 08:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Have you looked at the Panosaurus ? I have the wooden Mk1 which does all that is required even if you need a big screwdriver to set it up
I considered it very hard and went to order one.........OUT OF STOCK !
12-02-2014, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by az1895 Quote
I just wont spent the $400-700 for a top line branded one.
Trust me on this, there is nothing in the practical use of a panohead that requires $700. I've lost count of how many panoheads I've owned (I think I have 5 right now, maybe more if I go digging), including a $1200 "precision" beast. While the really expensive ones don't add much, if anything, to the panoramas I make, the really cheap ones can be a nightmare if you shoot more than occasionally.

The biggest issue with the heads you've pointed out is not the arms or controls, but the rotator on the bottom. Life is so much easier shooting panos with a good rotator! Sloppy clickstops or a stiff rotation lead to toppled tripods or re-shooting an entire pano due to vibration blur. You'd be better off with a wider lens and no rotator at all!

Personally, I've settled into Nodal Ninja heads, and their NN3 is far lighter, smaller, and likely more precise than either of the two you've linked to, and the full package with rotator and case starts at $190. That's $55 more than the first one, and probably 2lbs lighter and definitely better built. (Or even as low as $160 for a "factory irregular" model.)

Greg's Panosaurus (mentioned above) is a good choice if you are okay with a non-clicking base and don't change lenses often, since it's a little hard to adjust.

Last edited by panoguy; 12-02-2014 at 08:39 PM.
12-02-2014, 09:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Trust me on this, there is nothing in the practical use of a panohead that requires $700. I've lost count of how many panoheads I've owned (I think I have 5 right now, maybe more if I go digging), including a $1200 "precision" beast. While the really expensive ones don't add much, if anything, to the panoramas I make, the really cheap ones can be a nightmare if you shoot more than occasionally.

The biggest issue with the heads you've pointed out is not the arms or controls, but the rotator on the bottom. Life is so much easier shooting panos with a good rotator! Sloppy clickstops or a stiff rotation lead to toppled tripods or re-shooting an entire pano due to vibration blur. You'd be better off with a wider lens and no rotator at all!

Personally, I've settled into Nodal Ninja heads, and their NN3 is far lighter, smaller, and likely more precise than either of the two you've linked to, and the full package with rotator and case starts at $190. That's $55 more than the first one, and probably 2lbs lighter and definitely better built. (Or even as low as $160 for a "factory irregular" model.)

Greg's Panosaurus (mentioned above) is a good choice if you are okay with a non-clicking base and don't change lenses often, since it's a little hard to adjust.
Thanks ! The main lenses I will be using are 20mm , 28mm , and 35mm....... all SMC-K Pentax.
My main concern is getting a smaller head/unit that is somewhat compact and tight.
I could care less if there is click stops in every configuration or not. As long as it rotates tight , has marks at the 5 degrees and more , and an indicator.....it matters not to me.
Im in Pano head overload right now and just might hold tight untill I get it all figured out. Mainly I will be using horizontal in portrait @ 3-6 frames. But....would like the ability to do Rows as I learn more.
I think just a good Ebay $70 Rail would make me happy at the moment ! At least I would have a solid landscape platform.
I just noticed that IS a good deal for the factory Irregular ! Thanks !

---------- Post added 12-02-14 at 11:24 PM ----------

I just bought the Nodal Ninja 3 MKII. (in Cart anyway)
I got a factory second kit for $149 and then found out I have a PP coupon for $10 off !
Ordering it at 6AM as soon as my check clears.
What did it was Panoguy's links.....When I saw the video of it at the Grand Canyon and saw it in movement that did it ! Its quite compact , and the price was right.
Thanks guys for helping me decide.
I want things to be.......... KISS....KEEP IT STUPID SIMPLE......this does it !
12-04-2014, 05:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I wanted to state also....The folks at Nodal Ninja are tops in the customer service industry !
Never did I expect Phone call responses.......from the Owner !
Had a nice conversation about products and selling points and features.....Very helpfull !
Plus.....I talked/offered one of the guys a trip/permit to Coyote Buttes , White Pocket , and the "Wave" !
You will never find better people to deal with......THEY ARE TOP NOTCH !

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 12-05-2014 at 03:04 PM.
12-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Wow! What an interesting and useful thread this turned into. I don't do Panos, but was tempted to buy a Nodal Ninja just from the positive buzz on this thread!

Steve