Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2014, 10:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Is it safe to buy lenses from 3rd party on Amazon?

Hello,

I am interested in buying a Sigma 14-50 mm f/2.8 lens for my new Pentax K-3. I looked on Amazon and the new one being sold by amazon sells for $520. There are many 3rd party sellers primarily from Japan selling the same lens for about $340. That is a big saving of almost 30%. Is it safe to buy a lens with no USA warranty?

Being such a popular lens that has been in the market for so many years, is it safe to assume that there won't be any QA/QC issues? Does anyone have any experience buying from 3rd party sellers?

Thanks.

12-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's never 'safe' to assume there will be no issues. Especially a lens with a focusing motor.
12-04-2014, 10:33 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by uday029 Quote
Hello,

I am interested in buying a Sigma 14-50 mm f/2.8 lens for my new Pentax K-3. I looked on Amazon and the new one being sold by amazon sells for $520. There are many 3rd party sellers primarily from Japan selling the same lens for about $340. That is a big saving of almost 30%. Is it safe to buy a lens with no USA warranty?

Being such a popular lens that has been in the market for so many years, is it safe to assume that there won't be any QA/QC issues? Does anyone have any experience buying from 3rd party sellers?

Thanks.
Of course it is not safe. No online purchase is. Anytime you deal with other people there is risk of things going wrong. However, many of us have bought equipment from third party sellers on Amazon for years with few or no problems. I have been buying things, sometimes expensive things on Ebay for over 15 years without any significant issues. Protect yourself by checking feedback, reading the listing carefully. If it looks too good to be true it may be. Many of those Japaneses sellers give excellent value and service. As to inherent quality control issues you might have those from any vendor. Beware No Return policies. If it is on Amazon they need to allow returns.
12-04-2014, 10:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You'd have to factor in import duties (& postage) so be sure to make some calculations before thinking it's really cheaper.

12-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for your responses. I have been looking used market (amazon/ebay/keh/adorama etc.,) to buy a used lens. I see that there are two lenses that are very similar. For example, I took these two items for same from Fredmarinda store

Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM FLD Large Aperture Standard Zoom Lens for Pentax Digital DSLR Camera FM Store
Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Lens for Pentax SLR Cameras FM Store - Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Lens for Pentax SLR Cameras

Does Sigma makes both with OS and without OS lens for Pentax mount? Will there be any difference in quality with either of these two?
12-04-2014, 12:40 PM   #6
owl
Forum Member

I think of the few lenses that I have purchased from B&H and Adorama or Abes of Maine that were perfect in every respect except didn't focus to infinity. They all took them back no questions asked. Or all of the stories on the forum where a lens has decenter issues or one side wasn't focusing properly and they were sent back to a reputable seller. Where do these lenses end up? Having said that, I have purchased many lenses on eBay without serious incident, but my risk tolerance is probably around the $150 mark for a single lens from an unknown seller without a no questions asked return policy.
12-04-2014, 01:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Amazon Return Policy will not be active and they will not refund your money if something goes wrong. However eBay Will refund your money because they have the buyer protection program. I purchased a couple of expensive lenses from reputable Japanese retailers without a hitch, but I got to admit I was biting my fingernails for two weeks until the lens(s) arrived.