Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2008, 03:49 AM   #1

Sigma 17-70 and Macro function

Hi everyone,

I'm new to DSLR's and SLR's for that matter. I have had my k10d and sigma 17-70 lense for about a month and this forum is certainly helping me to learn how to use it so I thank you all for that.

My question relates to the macro function on this lense. Theres nothing in the instructions on how to activate it so my assumption is that to shoot in macro all I need to do is extend the zoom (to 70) and then get within .2 of a metre (thats noted on the lense) of what I want to shoot and then the lense somehow knows it needs to go macro. Can someone enlighten me on this??

thanks
Jake

05-22-2008, 04:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you rotate the zoom ring, you can see the different ratios between real life size of object and the size of object on the sensor. The ratio depends on the focal length and the distance between front lens element and object (focusing or working distance). Basically each lens has this ratio, but it is called macro, when it is close to 1:1. Higher than that it is a "micro".
1:1 means, that if the subject is 23.5mm wide, if will fill up the whole sensor width (the whole image).
There is 0.2m on the lens as the closest focusing distance, but from my experiences, you can focus literally ON the front lens element.

Oh, and: welcome to the forums!
05-22-2008, 04:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentagor Quote
There is 0.2m on the lens as the closest focusing distance, but from my experiences, you can focus literally ON the front lens element.

You've got that right. I was taking a photo of this crab (see link) and I manually focused down and just moved the camera, at one point I actually bumped into the crab!

20080413-IMGP1652.jpg photo - palmor photos at pbase.com

John
05-22-2008, 05:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by palmor Quote
You've got that right. I was taking a photo of this crab (see link) and I manually focused down and just moved the camera, at one point I actually bumped into the crab!

20080413-IMGP1652.jpg photo - palmor photos at pbase.com

John
LOL

05-22-2008, 06:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

love both shots of the crab very detail

Thanks for sharing

cheers
05-22-2008, 07:37 AM   #6

Its not that it 'knows' to go into 'macro' mode, it just has the ability to focus REALLY really close to the subject. This is true at both the 70mm and at 17mm, its definitely fun to use, but be careful when shooting something delicate...I just about squished a butterfly the other day when I realized that the lenshood was pinning the wings down on a bench at the park
05-22-2008, 08:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi Palmor
Is Ash an Australian shepard. I have one and it looks just like this one, except for one brown eye and one bluish white eye.
05-22-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Hi Palmor
Is Ash an Australian shepard. I have one and it looks just like this one, except for one brown eye and one bluish white eye.
Hi Flyer,
Yes he is! Ash has a ~1/3 blue eye.. funny thing is that the eyelashes on the semi-blue eye are brown while the lashes on the brown eye are white. Same thing with yours?

05-22-2008, 03:19 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chadvw Quote
Its not that it 'knows' to go into 'macro' mode, it just has the ability to focus REALLY really close to the subject.

this clarifies it for me but thanks to all responses. I did chuckle at the butterfly story and thats a cool crab picture.
05-22-2008, 04:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by palmor Quote
Hi Flyer,
Yes he is! Ash has a ~1/3 blue eye.. funny thing is that the eyelashes on the semi-blue eye are brown while the lashes on the brown eye are white. Same thing with yours?
The eyebrows on my dog are brown on both eyes. His blue eye (if you can call that whitish color blue) has a brown spot in it. Unfortunately, he is now over 10 years old and having hip problems. He easily is the friendliest dog I ever had. I'll try to post some pictures this week end, when I'm home.
05-23-2008, 06:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jake Quote
this clarifies it for me but thanks to all responses. I did chuckle at the butterfly story and thats a cool crab picture.
Glad we could all help, and glad you liked the crab photo

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
The eyebrows on my dog are brown on both eyes. His blue eye (if you can call that whitish color blue) has a brown spot in it. Unfortunately, he is now over 10 years old and having hip problems. He easily is the friendliest dog I ever had. I'll try to post some pictures this week end, when I'm home.
Can't wait to see them! I really need to get out and take some more photos of Ash, especially now that I taught him to catch a Frisbee (well "teach" is kind of an overstatement, I tossed the Frisbee a few times and he just went up and caught it on his own)

John
05-23-2008, 04:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentagor Quote
If you rotate the zoom ring, you can see the different ratios between real life size of object and the size of object on the sensor. The ratio depends on the focal length and the distance between front lens element and object (focusing or working distance). Basically each lens has this ratio, but it is called macro, when it is close to 1:1. Higher than that it is a "micro".
1:1 means, that if the subject is 23.5mm wide, if will fill up the whole sensor width (the whole image).

And to add to this, I have started holding the lens with my left hand index finger extended out as an impact warning when shooting shells on rocks!

Check out the Melbourne pentax meets, I'm sure you will get some tips on how not to immerse the filter threads in a soup when doing food macros.

Dale