Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2014, 05:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In Body SR vs. Sigma OS

Ok, there are a couple threads on this but the most relevant ones are from 2010 and I think the tech may be a wee bit different in 4 years time.

So, for long lenses like the Bigma and its variants which is better SR or OS? If it's OS, then for the newer lenses they have two levels - which is better or is it situational? If it's situational, how do you know when to go from 1 to 2 on OS with the lens? Whew!

12-05-2014, 06:12 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

all I know is that I saw a huge increase in "keepers" when moving from Nikon D7100 + AF-s 70-300mm VR vs. Pentax K-3 + DA* 60-250mm -- especially at the long end.Pentax is obviously doing something right.

YMMV

Michael
12-05-2014, 06:17 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Ok, there are a couple threads on this but the most relevant ones are from 2010 and I think the tech may be a wee bit different in 4 years time.

So, for long lenses like the Bigma and its variants which is better SR or OS? If it's OS, then for the newer lenses they have two levels - which is better or is it situational? If it's situational, how do you know when to go from 1 to 2 on OS with the lens? Whew!
For the lil'Bigma use the in lens OS. Mode 1 is for normal shooting, Mode 2 is for panning.
12-05-2014, 06:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
For the lil'Bigma use the in lens OS. Mode 1 is for normal shooting, Mode 2 is for panning.
Gracias. Is there a big difference in keeper rate?

12-05-2014, 06:31 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An in-lens system may have one or two user selectable VR choices - choose one then the lens responds and corrects the same way over the entire zoom range. The in-camera system gets focal length information from the lens and sets the VR system accordingly. In theory, and I think in fact, for zoom lenses equipped with proper electronics, a Pentax body will change the way the sensor corrects for vibration depending on the zoom focal length when the picture is taken (more correction @ longer FL, less at short FL). Theoretically, this would be superior for zoom lenses. For SFL lenses, the in-lens OS system is in theory matched to the focal length so it should operate as well as an in-camera sensor-adjust system. Unless I'm mistaken, the OS system was developed first, and early adapters including CANIKON are committed to, or stuck with that system. Pentax waited, or was slow installing a VR system and therefore installed the later developed sensor-adjust system which has multiple advantages (continuous adjust for changes in zoom focal length; can use old manual-focus SFL lenses or those from other manufacturers after manually inputting a focal length to the VR system).
12-05-2014, 06:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
An in-lens system may have one or two user selectable VR choices - choose one then the lens responds and corrects the same way over the entire zoom range. The in-camera system gets focal length information from the lens and sets the VR system accordingly. In theory, and I think in fact, for zoom lenses equipped with proper electronics, a Pentax body will change the way the sensor corrects for vibration depending on the zoom focal length when the picture is taken (more correction @ longer FL, less at short FL). Theoretically, this would be superior for zoom lenses. For SFL lenses, the in-lens OS system is in theory matched to the focal length so it should operate as well as an in-camera sensor-adjust system. Unless I'm mistaken, the OS system was developed first, and early adapters including CANIKON are committed to, or stuck with that system. Pentax waited, or was slow installing a VR system and therefore installed the later developed sensor-adjust system which has multiple advantages (continuous adjust for changes in zoom focal length; can use old manual-focus SFL lenses or those from other manufacturers after manually inputting a focal length to the VR system).
Thanks. I'm well aware of the SR-OS differences. There have been comments for years about how OS may work better in extreme telephoto situations. Given that the last good review/discussion on this topic here on PF was around 2010 I thought revisiting it based on current technologies would prove useful. Boriscleto is correct that I am specifically asking about my new lil' Bigma with Sigma's two sage in-lens OS.
12-05-2014, 06:38 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Gracias. Is there a big difference in keeper rate?
I don't know about a difference in the keeper rate as I have only used the in-lens OS. I usually forget to switch to Mode 2 when doing BiF. I usually forget to switch to multi-point AF too...

12-05-2014, 07:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How many axis of stabilization does in-lens OS support vs IBIS?
12-05-2014, 09:09 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With my Sigma 150-500, I have found the OS system to work better for that lens than the Pentax IBIS. Somewhere on this site is an old post about the limits of the IBIS. As I recall, the member found that IBIS works well to about 100mm focal length and then is less effective after that. For the Sigma, I shot with a rented copy for a month last year covering the America's Cup races in San Francisco. From that, working a longer distances and with action, the Sigma OS system was better by far.
12-05-2014, 09:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks. I'm well aware of the SR-OS differences. There have been comments for years about how OS may work better in extreme telephoto situations. Given that the last good review/discussion on this topic here on PF was around 2010 I thought revisiting it based on current technologies would prove useful. Boriscleto is correct that I am specifically asking about my new lil' Bigma with Sigma's two sage in-lens OS.
Here's my suspicion for why OIS has been touted as a better option for very long telephoto lenses. Disclaimer... I'm not a lens expert.

With IBIS, the amplitude of the sensor shift must increase with increasing focal length. At some point, theoretically, you reach a limit in what it can do, especially when vignetting concerns are present.

For OIS, the system can be designed specifically for that lens's focal length or range. Additionally, vignetting concerns from stabilization wouldn't come into play.

How much of that did I get wrong?
12-05-2014, 09:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
With my Sigma 150-500, I have found the OS system to work better for that lens than the Pentax IBIS. Somewhere on this site is an old post about the limits of the IBIS. As I recall, the member found that IBIS works well to about 100mm focal length and then is less effective after that. For the Sigma, I shot with a rented copy for a month last year covering the America's Cup races in San Francisco. From that, working a longer distances and with action, the Sigma OS system was better by far.
Thanks. I'm particularly interested in action shots use so that is very helpful.

Last edited by Docrwm; 12-05-2014 at 09:37 AM.
12-05-2014, 10:00 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One other thing I always forget is to turn IBIS back on when using other lenses. I took my 55-300 to the zoo because the 150-500 is too big to use when pushing someone in a wheelchair...didn't use IBIS the whole visit.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/benmcgann/sets/72157648088138669/
12-05-2014, 10:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I have the Sigma 150-500, and find the OS, and the SR,very close. One thing that should be noted, is when using a rear mount Teleconverter, The OS is better. I guess because the images stabilized before it gets to the converter. With some converters, SR can receive the wrong focal length information.
12-05-2014, 12:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by promacjoe Quote
I have the Sigma 150-500, and find the OS, and the SR,very close. One thing that should be noted, is when using a rear mount Teleconverter, The OS is better. I guess because the images stabilized before it gets to the converter. With some converters, SR can receive the wrong focal length information.
Thanks. Which converters have you used on the lens? I have several but am in the initial 'getting to know you' phase of my relationship with the lens and so have not introduced anything extra to the optical formula.
12-05-2014, 01:43 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks. Which converters have you used on the lens? I have several but am in the initial 'getting to know you' phase of my relationship with the lens and so have not introduced anything extra to the optical formula.
I have two Kenko Teleconverters That I carry, a 1.5 and a 2x, mainly for an 80-200 F2.8. Although, If the conditions are right both converters can be used on that lens, I only use the 1.5x with that lens, When I have no other choice. Sigma makes one that is designed for that type of lens.

Have fun with your new toy. And don't pay any attention to those who say it is not sharp at wide open aperture. Used correctly, it is a extremely sharp lens.