Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2014, 10:14 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine is not on my camera at the moment but it is in my bag for tomorrows shoot. Even though I have a lot of other lens to shoot with it is always in my bag as it produces some really rich colors and while heavy it just feels so right .

Last edited by bass3587; 12-08-2014 at 08:39 PM.
12-06-2014, 06:00 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bass3587 Quote
Mine is not on my camera at the moment but it is in my bag for tomorrows shoot. Even though I have a lot of other lens to shoot with it is always in my bag as it produces some really reich colors and while heave it just feels so right .

Is that purple wheat? Excellent shot.
12-06-2014, 07:02 AM   #18

I, too, will join the bandwagon in celebrating this lens. I tend to prefer primes over zoom lenses, but this one I really like. The way it renders images is simply beautiful. Someone who actually understands how optics work could probably explain why, but all I can say it is sharp and crisp but never harsh. It's a very gentle, characterful lens, and I suppose that's the catch: if you like the character, you'll love the lens, if not, you won't.
12-06-2014, 07:58 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
Is that purple wheat? Excellent shot.
Not wheat. I'm not sure what it was but I had to take a picture of it. Just saw it in a field behind Fry's . Check out this pseudo macro shot.

12-06-2014, 08:46 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I like the "look" this lens imparts to images. Its Macro mode makes it good for product photos, as I can zoom instead of changing lenses. Otherwise, I'm swapping between the 50mm/f4 and 100mm/f4 macro primes. It is big, heavy, and not wide enough on APSC, but it is my favorite old macro-zoom. The bokeh is nice too.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Last edited by AquaDome; 12-06-2014 at 09:08 AM. Reason: add pic
12-07-2014, 05:50 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
For me it's just too long on the short end at 35mm. Yes, it's great at what it does but, for me, it just doesn't work.
It may just be a matter of the range and what suits your eye. At least, that's what happened to me with this lens. I bought a used copy back in the film days, but only used it sparingly. It wasn't wide enough at 35mm...not tight enough at 105mm...macro wasn't really macro. Luckily, I can never seem to bring myself to sell any gear so I still had it when digital came along. For me, BIG difference! I've always been more of a telephoto guy and switching to an APS-C format suddenly threw the 35-105 right into my wheelhouse. Plus, it just seemed to feel so right on my K10D, which is a bit of a heavy camera anyway. Another factor that colors my feelings about this lens is that I was also more of a prime lens person in my film days, but have come around to zooms with digital. As I posted earlier, the 35-105 fills my mid-range very nicely.
12-07-2014, 06:03 AM   #22
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I've also heard this lens referred to as "A stack of primes" by folk on the forum here.

12-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #23

Photos: Albums
The 35-105 was a lens that I was interested in several years ago when I was in my "vintage" lens buying mode, but I couldn't find a whole lot of discussion about it then. I'm glad to hear the positive testimony here. The focal range would be just about perfect for me on APS-C I think, so I may just have to look into picking one up someday soon.
12-07-2014, 09:10 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
It may just be a matter of the range and what suits your eye. At least, that's what happened to me with this lens. I bought a used copy back in the film days, but only used it sparingly. It wasn't wide enough at 35mm...not tight enough at 105mm...macro wasn't really macro. Luckily, I can never seem to bring myself to sell any gear so I still had it when digital came along. For me, BIG difference! I've always been more of a telephoto guy and switching to an APS-C format suddenly threw the 35-105 right into my wheelhouse. Plus, it just seemed to feel so right on my K10D, which is a bit of a heavy camera anyway. Another factor that colors my feelings about this lens is that I was also more of a prime lens person in my film days, but have come around to zooms with digital. As I posted earlier, the 35-105 fills my mid-range very nicely.
I would agree with you. Like I said, I just could not find the love in that lens particularly on an APS-c sensor. Different strokes for different folks. So bit it.
12-08-2014, 10:25 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I'm happy to see others in love with it as that's what makes the world go around (differences), but for me. No love here.
The A 35-105 ended up not working out well for me, as well, although it wasn't so much the range that I objected to. I originally bought it because it was a cheap way to cover a range I didn't use all that often. But when I did use it I was a little frustrated by the inconsistency of the output. My copy was not as sharp at longer distances as it was close-up, and it suffered from bouts of veiling flare. It's output struggled to hold it's own with my other glass, so I ended up giving up on it. However, finding a replacement turned out to be quite difficult. One thing the A 35-105 has going for it: consistency of output across the zoom range. Most Pentax standard FF zooms struggle at the wide end, even on APS-C sensors, and even with the lens stopped down. That's true of all the F 35-105, all the 28-105's, and most of the various 35-80 or 28-80 kit lenses. I ended up settling for the FA 24-90. That lens also has problems wide end (poor edge to edge sharpness), but by 35mm, it's flat out better than the A 35-105 and maintains this superiority at least to 80mm. I'm not aware, however, of another Pentax non-star FF standard zoom lens that is significantly better than the A 35-105 at any focal length.
12-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Ok, I'll be Debbie Downer here. I've had to copies of this 'stack of primes' and just can't find the love for this lens. Don't care about the weight issue. Never found that to be a problem. For me it's just too long on the short end at 35mm. Yes, it's great at what it does but, for me, it just doesn't work. I'm happy to see others in love with it as that's what makes the world go around (differences), but for me. No love here.
My exact sentiments. The lens is just 'wrong' for me. More than that - I can't stand it. Completely over rated. Too big, clunky, wrong focal range on APS-C, terrible ergonomics ...
12-08-2014, 10:52 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wish it went wider, but it really is a nice lens. The IQ is quite impressive. It is a bit of a tank, solid as hell but a bit on the weighty, chunky side.

Last edited by Spodeworld; 12-08-2014 at 11:04 AM.
12-08-2014, 04:23 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
...wrong focal range on APS-C...
That totally depends upon your eye. The range is what it is.
12-08-2014, 05:33 PM   #29
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
That totally depends upon your eye. The range is what it is.
+1. I've never used it on anything but APS-C and it has worked very well for me.