Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2014, 09:41 AM   #16

Sigma Lens

I wish they would in that this looks a really good lens.

12-08-2014, 03:44 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
This could be bad news for the lens. I found this on Sigma Corporation announcement when they first announce the two lenses.

“The Global Vision Art, Sports and Contemporary lines were developed to help photographers identify lenses that are best suited to their specific photography and these two lenses are perfect examples of that intent,” Mark Amir-Hamzeh, president of Sigma Corporation of America. “While they share a focal length and many outstanding features, these lenses are designed with different photographers in mind. Both high-performance lenses, one is for the professional-grade action shooter; the other for photographers looking for high performance and portability.”

The 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports offers the highest level of performance and durability with a splash and dust proof construction, and features dimensions of 4.8 inches by 11.4 inches, with a weight of 100.9 ounces. It contains 24 lens elements in 16 groups – including two FLD and three SLD glass elements – with a minimum aperture of F/22 and minimum focusing distance of 102.4 inches. Its maximum magnification ratio is also 1:5. The Sports lens will be available in Sigma, Canon and Nikon mounts.

The 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary lens is the first hyper-telephoto zoom lens from the Global Vision Contemporary line, and will enable easy handling with a smaller build than its Sports counterpart. It is equipped with a splash and dust proof mount, and while the weight of the lens is still to be determined, its dimensions will be 4.1 inches by 10.2 inches. The lens will feature 20 elements in 14 groups – including one FLD and three SLD glass elements – with a minimum aperture of F/22 and minimum focusing distance of 110.2 inches. Its maximum magnification ratio is 1:5. It will be available in Sigma, Canon, Nikon and Sony mounts.
12-08-2014, 04:10 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hmmm...maybe he just forgot that Pentax was still around.
12-08-2014, 04:18 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Are there any reviews or test drives out there yet?
Nope, unlike the Sports model, this one is not ready for prime time yet. To me, it's a little strange for a manufacturer to make two versions of the same niche-market lens. Most of the theories I've read center around the belief that originally Sigma was only going to be offering the Sports version, but then during its development, Tamron beat them to market. To counter at the lower price point, Sigma went the two-version route.

Hopefully they are both really good, though if I purchased the Sports version, I may not be a happy camper if the Contemporary is just a tad less good optically (and lighter) for $1000 less.

M

12-08-2014, 04:25 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Hopefully they are both really good, though if I purchased the Sports version, I may not be a happy camper if the Contemporary is just a tad less good optically (and lighter) for $1000 less.
Interesting point. I'm looking forward to seeing how similar (or dissimilar) they are in terms of optics and price.
12-08-2014, 04:53 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Unless I am misreading Sigma's Corporation announcement of the two lenses, Pentax is left out on both models.
12-08-2014, 05:21 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting point. I'm looking forward to seeing how similar (or dissimilar) they are in terms of optics and price.
From this interview, the intention is that they are optically very close, if not identical in the middle of the frame. The Sports model has less CA and better corners, by design (along with all-metal construction, weather sealing, and programmable focus limiting).

QuoteOriginally posted by bwickett Quote
Unless I am misreading Sigma's Corporation announcement of the two lenses, Pentax is left out on both models.
Sigma always introduces the Sigma SA, Nikon and Canon mounts first, with Sony and Pentax "at some later date" (look at the 18-35 Art, for example). I haven't been following announcements on this lens (no interest).

12-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Sigma always introduces the Sigma SA, Nikon and Canon mounts first, with Sony and Pentax "at some later date" (look at the 18-35 Art, for example). I haven't been following announcements on this lens (no interest).
I would find it strange they would do Sony but not Pentax considering that Sony's marketshare is even smaller than Pentax's.
12-08-2014, 08:38 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
I would find it strange they would do Sony but not Pentax considering that Sony's marketshare is even smaller than Pentax's.
And in A mount which is more or less dead.
12-08-2014, 09:45 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Surely that can't be right...at least here in the US. I see Sony DSLR's on a semi-regular basis, but I can count on one or two fingers the number of times I've seen somebody with a Pentax DSLR.
12-08-2014, 09:56 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Surely that can't be right...at least here in the US. I see Sony DSLR's on a semi-regular basis, but I can count on one or two fingers the number of times I've seen somebody with a Pentax DSLR.
I can't find the numbers again, but basically, Sony lost about half their share in the past year, selling virtually nothing in that time. They were strong a while back but this past year or so has been absolutely dreadful for them. I guess they put their marketing behind the NEX line because the A mount has completely fallen off their radar. They bought Minolta's camera tech and found it wasn't as interesting as they had hoped. The money is in making sensors for Nikon and Pentax, not putting them in their own cameras.

Sony's sold like gangbusters in 2009 and 2010 but it's been as dramatic a decline as it was a rise. There may be more Sony cameras out there now due to those brisk years, but what you're seeing is old sales. Plus, Pentax does a lot better in Asia than it does here.

Last edited by MadMathMind; 12-08-2014 at 10:03 PM.
12-09-2014, 05:59 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I can't find the numbers again, but basically, Sony lost about half their share in the past year, selling virtually nothing in that time. They were strong a while back but this past year or so has been absolutely dreadful for them.
In about that same time frame, Sony DSLR's stopped being carried at my two local Best Buy stores. They used to have several Sony DSLR's on display, and now it seems like they don't even carry them. If that's the case in Best Buy's across the country, then I can only imagine it would have a large effect on Sony DSLR sales.

Of course, they do have Sony mirrorless cameras on display.
12-29-2015, 01:56 PM   #28

I wanted an answer to this, too, so I clicked on "Contact Us" just now on SIGMA's website, and got this quick response:

Hello John,
Unfortunately there are no plans at the present time that I am aware of to manufacture either of the 150-600mm lenses in the Pentax K/AF lens mount.
Sincerely,
Paul Pizzano
SIGMA Corporation of America l 15 Fleetwood Ct, Ronkonkoma, NY 11779

Boo-Hoo! Waaah! Sniffle-sniffle.
12-29-2015, 03:21 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I don't think this means anything at present. They may reassess once the Pentax FF is out.

I am seriously considering the D FA 150-450. If the Sigma 150-600 S were available in K-mount, I would have to think hard about which to opt for. The Sigma is cheaper and longer (though heavier), and gets great reviews. However, my very limited experience of highly specified Sigma lenses (the 35mm Art) teaches me that great numbers don't necessarily make for a great lens. So I may select the Pentax 150-450 anyway, but it would be nice to have a choice.
12-29-2015, 03:58 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I don't think this means anything at present. They may reassess once the Pentax FF is out.
Why? They aren't going to sell any more after the FF is out than they would now. Pentax has the 150-450 and that is going to be your only choice.