Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-05-2014, 09:44 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
FA43 hood alternatives

Hey all. A nice shot of DA21 today caught my attention (the hood in particular) and reminded me of how I don't love the FA43 hood and wish there was something better.

It might be that I just need a different cap because the original one I have comes off too easy when the lens is in my pocket. But the hood itself seems to unscrew from lens too easily for me too...

I've sometimes been using one of those cheap rubber hoods for it and don't love that either as it doesn't go in the pocket easily...

I searched and found a thread about using the DA40 hood which I am considering going after. Anybody come up with anything else?

12-05-2014, 09:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've taken off the supplied hood and used a couple step-down rings (49-37, 37-30.5), then a small lens cap on the last step-down ring. That particular set-up is very compact but causes a little vignetting on the Fa 43 (which wasn't a problem for me due to the type of shots I usually took with it). You could probably not got quite as small as 30.5mm and avoid vignetting...there are lots of different step-down ring options out there you could play with.

Good luck
Brandon
12-06-2014, 12:27 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't had the same problems with my hood, but I love the idea of a DIY option. Can you please share the link to the thread where they used the DA40 hood? You can find knock-off DA40 hoods on ebay for around $10-$15.
12-06-2014, 02:07 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

What I do.....ebay DA40 hood and ebay pinch cap.....

by Noelpolar, on Flickr

12-06-2014, 03:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote

by Noelpolar, on Flickr

I like that! I always favor a lower profile hood. Have you noticed any vignetting with it? Do you know if it works as good as the original?
12-06-2014, 04:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Used it for a few months now.....works well.....including with filters etc.
12-06-2014, 04:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I like that! I always favor a lower profile hood. Have you noticed any vignetting with it? Do you know if it works as good as the original?
I ordered the Pentax one. It looks identical except from the branding. Only very slight (unnoticeable if you don't look for it) when wide open.

12-06-2014, 07:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bpv_UW Quote
I've taken off the supplied hood and used a couple step-down rings (49-37, 37-30.5), then a small lens cap on the last step-down ring. That particular set-up is very compact but causes a little vignetting on the Fa 43 (which wasn't a problem for me due to the type of shots I usually took with it). You could probably not got quite as small as 30.5mm and avoid vignetting...there are lots of different step-down ring options out there you could play with.

Good luck
Brandon
I use the same. Minimal vignetting, low profile. It's basically the same thing as the DA 40 hood.
12-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Can you please share the link to the thread where they used the DA40 hood?
I like that!
Yeah me too... It was Noel's post with the same images in the other thread that had the content. He also said:

I use a DA40 hood on mine......a knock off on ebay is $17 plus $2 for a 31mm pinch cap
The first result on ebay for DA40 hood is a 'Replacement Lens Hood LH-RC49' for 11.99 total so that's looking pretty irresistable.. Still looking for a 31mm pinch cap... (Edit: looks like running the query for "DA40 lens cap" got me some results.. The cheapest/best option at this time being the pentax labeled cap for $10 total)

Last edited by todd; 12-06-2014 at 10:28 AM.
12-07-2014, 02:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

by Noelpolar, on Flickr
I would be worried about a hood like that vignetting on film applications.
12-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I would be worried about a hood like that vignetting on film applications.
Good point I've thought about too that makes the step down option possibly more appealing as far as functionality goes. I might have to end up trying both...