Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2014, 02:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by henne Quote
I would consider the older K/M versions of the 400mm as well. They will cost you less than the A, and you will not miss the A position much, as such a long tele lens is used rather wide open anyhow. One can even use the Av mode of the body, maybe applying some exposure compensation on stopping down. This is my experience from using the SMC M 5.6/400.
If you are shooting these older long telephotos wide open, you are going to get some softness and CA. They need to be shot on a tripod and stopped down to f8-11 in most cases.

The tokina 400 4.5 AT-X AF is a great lens for the money.

12-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #17
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
I have actually lived very happily without a 50mm in my lineup! I just can't think of what I'd use that focal length for. The 50mm would generally be too narrow for landscapes, so it would end up being a portrait lens, but I already have the 77 for that. I wouldn't mind picking up an old one just to play around with it, but there's no particular hole it would fill for me.
A very good point! However, as another member pointed out; a fast one would be excellent for low light situations.
12-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #18
Veteran Member

True, but I got very far with my 31mm f/1.8. Depending on what you like to take pictures of, you might do better with a fast normal lens (in the 30 to 40mm range).
12-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Uh, out of my price range!
A *300 will be in your price range someday, when you realize what it can do for you.

12-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #20
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
A *300 will be in your price range someday, when you realize what it can do for you.
Not if I plan on continuing eating, and having heat. A hobby can't replace these essentials.
12-06-2014, 05:29 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I suppose this was in another discussion I missed, but if your body is anything since (and including) the K10D or K200D, you need a couple of lenses first.

For example, my K200D with the FA135 on it is the best IQ I can get with about $600 worth of equipment (I know what you're thinking ... how about the iPhone? ).

I consider the DFA 100 WR macro the best overall macro you can get, and I have one. But unless you're really into macro, save your money and get one of the many different-branded variants (AF or MF) of the Cosina 100/3.5 macro.

After all, if you can afford a $500 body and $600 lens, you can afford a $1000 lens, or two or three lenses worth about $1000-1200 combined. I didn't upgrade my K-x until I'd spent at least 5-7 times the price of the body on lenses (and I bought the body when it was newly released for around $650). When I finally upgraded to a K-5 it was anti-climatic, because it hardly improved my IQ (all the IQ improvements were already coming from the lenses when on the K-x).
12-06-2014, 05:32 PM   #22
Veteran Member

When I decide to turn loose of the zooms; then I would consider some prime lenses. For now, I simply cannot afford to completely revamp & fill my lineup with top lenses. I guess I should have titled this thread as "near future" lineup.
Well, then add as affordable, but really good primes:

DA 50 f/1.8
DA 35 f/2.4

12-06-2014, 05:37 PM   #23
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I suppose this was in another discussion I missed, but if your body is anything since (and including) the K10D or K200D, you need a couple of lenses first.

For example, my K200D with the FA135 on it is the best IQ I can get with about $600 worth of equipment (I know what you're thinking ... how about the iPhone? ).

I consider the DFA 100 WR macro the best overall macro you can get, and I have one. But unless you're really into macro, save your money and get one of the many different-branded variants (AF or MF) of the Cosina 100/3.5 macro.

After all, if you can afford a $500 body and $600 lens, you can afford a $1000 lens, or two or three lenses worth about $1000-1200 combined. I didn't upgrade my K-x until I'd spent at least 5-7 times the price of the body on lenses (and I bought the body when it was newly released for around $650). When I finally upgraded to a K-5 it was anti-climatic, because it hardly improved my IQ (all the IQ improvements were already coming from the lenses when on the K-x).
Yes, I only have the K10D presently.

Update!! My spending is done for several months now, as I just committed to buying a Tokina 400mm!!! I'm a happy camper! I think my next lens will be the DFA WR 100 Macro, as I do a lot of macro shooting.
The new body will now wait.

Last edited by csa; 12-06-2014 at 05:47 PM.
12-06-2014, 06:24 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Update!! My spending is done for several months now, as I just committed to buying a Tokina 400mm!!! I'm a happy camper! I think my next lens will be the DFA WR 100 Macro, as I do a lot of macro shooting.
The new body will now wait.
That was a good move (spending it on the lens)! Congrats. Enjoy your lens! Don't sell your K10D as long as it's working OK for you, even if you upgrade. I still use my K200D occasionally, just to get the nice output from its 10MP CCD sensor.

The DFA 100 WR macro should give wonderful results on your K10D. It's just an excellent lens. And as I'm sure you already know, unlike many other ~100mm macros, it also does very well at normal, non-macro focal lengths.
12-06-2014, 06:31 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Under most circumstances I'd advise to get a better lens over a better body, but realising that you're shooting a K10D (released 8 years ago!) you might actually want to consider an upgrade. Currently the K5 II(s) is pretty much shelled out at ridiculously low prices and I'd go as far as to say that the advances in camera technology over the last 8 years (resolution, high-ISO, dynamic range, metering, autofocus etc.) easily rival the advantage you'd get from a new lens.
12-06-2014, 06:55 PM   #26
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That was a good move (spending it on the lens)! Congrats. Enjoy your lens! Don't sell your K10D as long as it's working OK for you, even if you upgrade. I still use my K200D occasionally, just to get the nice output from its 10MP CCD sensor.

The DFA 100 WR macro should give wonderful results on your K10D. It's just an excellent lens. And as I'm sure you already know, unlike many other ~100mm macros, it also does very well at normal, non-macro focal lengths.
Thank you, I'm pretty excited! No, I would not sell the K10D; I really love this camera; perhaps that's why the lens came before another body!

That's good to know about the 100 macro, also. That definitely will be my next lens!
12-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #27
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Under most circumstances I'd advise to get a better lens over a better body, but realising that you're shooting a K10D (released 8 years ago!) you might actually want to consider an upgrade. Currently the K5 II(s) is pretty much shelled out at ridiculously low prices and I'd go as far as to say that the advances in camera technology over the last 8 years (resolution, high-ISO, dynamic range, metering, autofocus etc.) easily rival the advantage you'd get from a new lens.
I'm enjoying the K10D, and it will serve me very well until I can get an updated body. A lens like this Tokina in mint condition doesn't come around that often, so I feel very lucky to have the opportunity to get it.
12-06-2014, 08:50 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Also I hear that one cannot live without a 50mm in their lineup; so suggestions as to which one!
One absolutely can--it's the most boring FL ever!

Also, forget those 400mm lenses--get the DA*300/4. Don't worry about 'overlap' with the 55-300: the zoom is about the zoom--not about 300mm . Those 400's are ok but they can't touch the DA*300 (with or without a good TC)

That's what I say.
12-06-2014, 09:54 PM   #29
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
One absolutely can--it's the most boring FL ever!

Also, forget those 400mm lenses--get the DA*300/4. Don't worry about 'overlap' with the 55-300: the zoom is about the zoom--not about 300mm . Those 400's are ok but they can't touch the DA*300 (with or without a good TC)

That's what I say.
I've already made a deal I can afford, on a 400!

Last edited by csa; 12-06-2014 at 10:02 PM.
12-06-2014, 10:33 PM   #30
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm content with my current 55-300, but hadn't thought of a good 300mm, what's available? Keep in mind I cannot afford a $1,000+ lens!
FA*300 f4.5 - around $800 or so. (The F*300 is a little lighter, but more expensive - hard to find for less than $1000.)
Sigma 300mm f4 APO AF tele macro - about $400-500 (but rare as hen's teeth)