Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2014, 02:00 AM   #1
Inactive Account

I am about to purchase a K-3 and need help with lenses.

Please bear with me as I am new to Pentax. There seems to be many different variety or naming of Pentax prime lenses. I have read up on the FA31 limited, but that would have to be my only lense for the time being due to price. I love primes and don't mind moving around and walking. At the same time I am looking for a fast zoom for easy travel with the kids. What would your reccomendations be for a 35mm equivalent 35mm, 50mm, and a zoom 24-70 f2.8. I am looking in the prince range of around $500 or less per prime. Thanks in advance.

12-07-2014, 07:21 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I'm new to pentax too, and while I purchased the two cheap DA primes when I bought the K-3, I'm really happy with my zoom purchase. I grabbed the Sigma 17-50 2.8. It's been fantastic so far. Sharp and relatively fast.

Next on my purchase list is the Tamron 70-200 2.8. Good luck with your purchases
12-07-2014, 08:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tfe691 Quote
I love primes and don't mind moving around and walking. At the same time I am looking for a fast zoom for easy travel with the kids. What would your reccomendations be for a 35mm equivalent 35mm, 50mm, and a zoom 24-70 f2.8. I am looking in the prince range of around $500 or less per prime. Thanks in advance.
The DA 50 f/1.8 and DA 35 f/2.4 are great choices - I only have the 35 but love it, the image quality can compete with lenses that cost twice as much and more. It is not as fast as would be expected from most primes though.

For a 35 and 50 FF equivalent with the K3 you're looking at a 24 and 33 mm prime. In the price range you suggested you'd get something like the Sigma 30 mm f/1.4 'Art'. According to reviews it's an extremely sharp and fast little lens with incredible image quality for the price, there are a couple of focus issues though - many users just send it in to Sigma service with the camera as soon as they get it (free of charge) and get it back perfectly adjusted.

In regard to the zoom, something like the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 should serve you well. If you want weather sealing though you'd be looking at something like the Pentax DA* 16-50 f/2.8 which is much more expensive. If you're not set on spending around $500 on every lens and get some lenses cheaper, you might be able to afford the DA*.

In terms of a 24 mm prime I have no clue, it's a bit unusual on APS-C.
12-07-2014, 08:13 AM   #4
Pentaxian

For some reason Pentax has made 'off focal lengths'... someone here once explain or put up an article that said something like that Japanese ideas were that 28mm was better than 35mm lenses for FOV....but western ideas preferred 35mm lenses... and so went this 'battle' between Eastern ideas who preferred 28mm and Western ideas who preferred 35mm lenses (on a FF). (This was like in the 70's and 80's)

The DA Limited line is just awesome. The DA 21mm Limited works out to have the same field of views as a 31.5mm thus splitting the exact difference between a 28mm and a 35mm lens. Please note this is talking about field of view or angle of view equivalent on a FF camera.

The DA 40mm lens won't disappoint either. It's f2.8 and makes the FOV equivalent of about 60mm. You can find both in the marketplace here (used).... which I would recommend looking for a good copy.

What you will immediately notice is the 21mm is f3.2. It's not really fast but I like mine a lot.

I can tell you from experience that the 'hole' between the 21mm and 40mm focal lengths... you will want to plug that at some point. The first lens I got to do so was a used Pentax F28mm f2.8 lens. I actually really like this lens. I still have it. The FOV is equal to 42mm...on a crop sensor.

Later on I got the 31mm.

You could probably get good copies of all three lenses, the 21, 28, and 40mm for 500-600 bucks on the market place if you watch out.

And you can fit the 21mm in one pocket and the 40mm in the other... they are TINY little packages of goodness.

12-07-2014, 08:26 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tfe691 Quote
At the same time I am looking for a fast zoom for easy travel with the kids. What would your reccomendations be for a 35mm equivalent 35mm, 50mm, and a zoom 24-70 f2.8. I am looking in the prince range of around $500 or less per prime. Thanks in advance.

I can recommend the DA* 16-50 as a general travel lens. I think it also goes well together with K-3.
Later on you may go further with FA31 and/or FA43.
12-07-2014, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

If you can own just one lens buy the FA31.
It will be a "normal" lens on the K-3 crop factor and the most useful lens you can have IMO.

Later you can add the DA15 or DA 21 and then later the FA43 or FA77 in that order.
...the 5 best lenses you can own for a Pentax.
All small, compact and fast lenses.
Search around because you can buy all of these lenses "used" in excellent condition.
12-07-2014, 09:18 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I need to put out a warning to the OP. Once you buy a DA and/or FA Limited lens...there is no going back. You will forever have champagne tastes and you will want them all.

Just sayin'.

12-07-2014, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
... the 5 best lenses you can own for a Pentax.
That's debatable though - there are some third party lenses that really give even the Limiteds a run for their money, especially the Sigma 35 f/1.4 ART
12-07-2014, 09:43 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery
Voigtlander 40mm f2 is another one I'm interested in. I enjoy MF lenses, and this one has some very intruiging characteristics
12-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've lived with ONLY FA31 Ltd for over two years, using it for all sorts of shooting. And it has served me well. Here are a few modest examples:

So I used only one lens for everything. My dad, on the other hand, needs to have everything covered, from wide for crammed spaces to super tele for birding.

So it depends on your shooting style, if you need various FLs, you can start with the previously recommended Sigma 17-50 as a general lens, and then gradually add in primes for FLs that you most shoot at. FA31 would be my first choice for a 50 equivalent. Sigma 30 is also nice but I don't like its bulk.

For a 35 equivalent, DA21 is great, but I'd skip that and go for something a bit wider, a DA15. You can have a lot of fun with that lens. It's great for shooting into the sun and comes in handy for landscapes and crammed spaces. I own it and love it.

I also have the 43Ltd that others have mentioned, but I find it's FL a bit unusual and don't use it much. I read a few similar comments from other people on this forum, so before you decide to buy DA40 of FA43 I'd recommend you set your general-purpose zoom to about 40mm and leave it there for at least a week or two. If you find it pleasing to your eye after using it for a certain period of time, only then buy a lens with that FL.
12-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I can say this...focal lengths are going to depend on your shooting style. I honestly could live with either a 28mm lens or even better the 31mm. That range of focal lengths I've found to be most useful. I refer to just practical use.

Now I swap between my 31mm and my 43mm. Those two focal lengths get the most action from me. I'm not talking about how awesome the lenses are or how well they are built...but the focal lengths.

Again this is going to depend on what you like to shoot.
12-07-2014, 09:55 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I need to put out a warning to the OP. Once you buy a DA and/or FA Limited lens...there is no going back. You will forever have champagne tastes and you will want them all.

Just sayin'.
Very true, that. Once I gave my dad the FA31 to play with when I acquired the FA43 and FA50, he sold his zooms, and other Limiteds followed. It might happen to you, too, so beware the Limiteds.
12-07-2014, 10:02 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 1marek Quote
I also have the 43Ltd that others have mentioned, but I find it's FL a bit unusual and don't use it much. I read a few similar comments from other people on this forum, so before you decide to buy DA40 of FA43 I'd recommend you set your general-purpose zoom to about 40mm and leave it there for at least a week or two. If you find it pleasing to your eye after using it for a certain period of time, only then buy a lens with that FL.
I love my 43mm. It is one of my most used lenses. I go back and forth between that one and the 31mm. If I had two K3 bodies with one of each lens on each I could do 90% of my shooting without ever swapping lenses.

That said the minute I say that I know that using almost any lens is a matter of discovery. Once I discover the magic of a focal length I tend to gravitate towards it for a while.
12-07-2014, 10:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

There is a nicely priced da* 16-50 in the for sale section here.
12-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
That said the minute I say that I know that using almost any lens is a matter of discovery. Once I discover the magic of a focal length I tend to gravitate towards it for a while.
A matter of discovery, you're right about that. It has happened to me, too, with a couple of lenses. But just not with the FA43. I'm still hoping it will, though. So I'm not selling it until I find that pixie dust inside of it! [puts a determined look on face]
And then I probably won't sell it because I've found it.