Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2008, 08:48 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Is this acceptable

Im thinking the answer is no, I just want to make sure people agree with me.

I ordered a da* 16-50 from abe's of maine. SN 9018003. It seems to have a de-centered element as the right side of photos of newspaper look soft.

BUT this is not why I am writing this. attached are 2 photos of the condition of the box as it arrived. Mind you I paid full price and this lens is supposed to be new. This is not cool right?? There is NO WAY this happened in transit the box it came in was flawless and the item was well packed. This means someone at abes thought it would be a good idea to grab this crappy box off the shelf and ship it to someone who had paid 700$ for this lens.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
05-22-2008, 08:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hate to say it, but when I was working at a ritz camera I saw one or two lens/camera boxes come in like this when we got shipments... It *is* possible it happened during shipment, but that being said I've got the box from a used 50-200 that was shipped to it's previous owner, then me, and is in much better condition. If I were to walk into a store and they handed me this, I wouldn't accept it.
05-22-2008, 09:17 PM   #3

Original Poster
I also own the DA* 50-135 and the DA* boxes have a little shine to them. The 50-135 (got from B&H) is in pristine condition and has a nice shine to it. This one, the 16-50 is very dull and quite frankly looks used. Of particular note is the tear that could really only happen when opening the box, this was present when I got the lens.
05-23-2008, 12:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Who cares about the box? The problem is the lens, pack it back up and send it back. They should supply a new one that is not faulty.

05-23-2008, 12:18 AM   #5
JKS

It happended me as well. My Da* 16-50 from Adorama came in a used box... they repaid the shipping when I complained.

I think this lens doesn't need any more bad rep. When will hear something official from Pentax regarding all the bad copies...?

/jesper
05-23-2008, 12:29 AM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
very simple answer for me, I wouldn't accept it. This is one of the reasons why I don't like to shop via internet. You never know what you'll get. I found one very cheap online webpage (for UK prices) and luckily their shop is in central London. If I like anything, I just get on the bus, and get it myself, it's still cheap, and safer...
05-23-2008, 02:24 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by JKS Quote
It happended me as well. My Da* 16-50 from Adorama came in a used box... they repaid the shipping when I complained.

I think this lens doesn't need any more bad rep. When will hear something official from Pentax regarding all the bad copies...?

/jesper
I sense a running theme here. I just received my DA* 50-135 from Adorama this week in a very shabby looking box. On your experience I may also complain. That said, the condition of the box my Sigma 100-300 (also from Adorama) was pristine.

05-23-2008, 03:31 AM   #8
Damn Brit

Send them a copy of this thread. Let them know that this community won't put up with stuff like this.
Gary
05-23-2008, 04:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Considering we are talking about the DA*16-50mm, I would test the lens first to see if you got a 'good' copy, no BF/FF issues. If you did, I would keep it. Sending it back for a different one is like playing Russian Roulette.
05-23-2008, 04:54 AM   #10
Banned

yes, we should keep in mind the number of defective 16-50's out there. the likelihood of your lens being used is very. if you paid full price then I would be upset, because a used lens should not be sold at full retail and its used condition should be noted. the thing is that so many 16-50's have been returned that most smaller retailers like abes probably have nothing but used lenses in stock.

I personally would test the lens, you say there seems to be a problem with the lens, if there in fact is then send it back. if however the lens seems to function correctly you would be better off keeping it regardless of the box condition. as buddha said, Russian Roulette.
05-23-2008, 05:21 AM   #11
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by qksilver Quote
Im thinking the answer is no, I just want to make sure people agree with me.

I ordered a da* 16-50 from abe's of maine. SN 9018003. It seems to have a de-centered element as the right side of photos of newspaper look soft.

BUT this is not why I am writing this. attached are 2 photos of the condition of the box as it arrived. Mind you I paid full price and this lens is supposed to be new. This is not cool right?? There is NO WAY this happened in transit the box it came in was flawless and the item was well packed. This means someone at abes thought it would be a good idea to grab this crappy box off the shelf and ship it to someone who had paid 700$ for this lens.
That wouldn't be acceptable at all to me. I would almost bet that lens has been in and out of their warehouse more than once.

I'd call for a return authorization and if they don't give you one, file a dispute with your credit card company immediately.

According to their web-site, this is their return policy.

Abe`s Of Maine Cameras and Electronics is committed to your satisfaction. Returnable Products may be returned within thirty (30) days of your product`s shipping date for all photo equipment, digital imaging products, and video. Equipment must be new and factory-fresh. - From and after thirty (30) days from your product�s shipping date, we cannot accept returns of any product

I'd ask them to issue a pick up request and to refund you all charges including the shipping.

My $ .02
05-23-2008, 06:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

If you are planning to resale this lens in the future, then a nice box is needed I will just ask them to send another copy over
05-23-2008, 07:24 AM   #13

Original Poster
Just called. They said they will ship me a new one. They said if i ship USPS and include the receipt for postage they will reimburse the shipping costs. I will keep everyone posted.