Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2014, 02:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Rokinon/Samyang 14 mm metering?

Hello all,

This is going to a total noob question. I was interested in buying a Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 manual lens for my new Pentax K-3. I looked on Amazon and Bhphoto to see if it does auto-metering but I could not find any details. I know that it is a manual focus lens. I called Rokinon and they said that it is a total "manual" lens and will not have any kind of auto-metering.

So if I were using this lens in manual mode, how do I set the shutter speed for a particular aperture? Will the screen on the back (or the view finder) show the EV scale to help me change shutter speed (or aperture) for proper exposure? Or Do I have to simply guess the right aperture and shutter speed combination based on lighting conditions? Or buy a external light meter and input those values? Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

12-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They come with an "A" setting for Pentax. It will meter like a Pentax "A" lens.
12-08-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, they are all KA-compatible.

Ignore any pictures you see of supposed Pentax-mount Samyang/Roki/Bow/etc. lenses that don't have an 'A' setting. Sellers frequently show shots of the Nikon version instead of the Pentax, causing much confusion and distress. Every modern Samyang lens that I have, including the 14mm, is a KA, and they wouldn't make both K- and a KA- versions of their lenses. The K-mount market is small enough without splitting it further.
12-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The photos on websites are often wrong - they show photos of Sony or Canon or Nikon mount instead of Pentax. The Samyang (Rokinon, Bower, etc.) lenses for Pentax have an A setting on the aperture ring. So you set it there, and you get full Av mode, P mode, continuous automatic metering, and you select aperture on the camera body. Its basically like a DA lens, except the lens doesn't have AF, and it doesn't communicate the lensID/ focal length to the camera (has to be entered manually when you start up the camera, and the camera remembers the last setting so you don't have to waste much time).
I have the Samyang 14mm, fairly nice lens, though I would usually recommend the 16mm f2.0. Easier to focus, not as awkwardly wide, and I think it takes filters (the 14mm has a full frame lens hood, which cannot be removed). I think its a better lens for ultra wide angle beginners, though both lenses have high IQ
Oh, just make sure you are not buying the Cine version, unless you want to get a lens made for video. The cine version is optically the same, but has a focus ring with ridges for different focus system (follow focus, used in videography), T-stop instead of F-stop, and clickless aperture. Just an extra bit of useless information.
Either way, make sure you get warranty and that the lens you get is in good shape, with all sides of the frame equally sharp!

Last edited by Na Horuk; 12-08-2014 at 02:55 PM.
12-08-2014, 04:25 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the Bower version of this lens (same as Rokinon/Samyang) and used it until I got the DA15. I liked it very well, except it can't take filters and it is large compared to Pentax DA lens. I purchased mine from B&H and the first one had a slightly de-centered lens. I returned it for an exchange and the second one was fine.
Here are two photos showing the field of view comparing the Bower 14mm with the Pentax DA14. Photos taken inside a church, same location, tripod used.